Does anyone know...

The war between wetware and hardware.
WildCat

Does anyone know...

Post by WildCat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:04 am

OK so the gf's laptop shit a brick on this weeks update. When I can get it to boot up the desktop is unresponsive nor does it respond to the window button or even ctrl-alt-del.

But I can get to the troubleshooting screen on startup. Unfortunately both startup repair and "go back to previous version" both fail, so I want to reset the PC with the "save my files" option.

This will uninstall Office 365. What I want to know is after I reinstall Office 365 will all her old emails be recoverable? No one responded to my query on the Microsoft forum.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Witness

Re: Does anyone know...

Post by Witness » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:10 am

I don't know about Office 365, but can't the mailbox be accessed with different software (e. g. Thunderbird)? Then you can save the mails on your hd in various formats, and perhaps even reimport into O365.

My 5 ¢.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:12 am

Hmm if she is using Outlook and can access Outlook online, the emails might be there unless they have been deleted from the server upon download to the local machine. Depends on what options had been selected.

https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... 1892e2aacc
Find and transfer Outlook data files from one computer to another
Outlook for Office 365 Outlook 2019 Outlook 2016 Outlook 2013 Outlook 2010 More...
Outlook saves backup information in a variety of different locations. Depending on what type of account you have, you can back up your emails, your personal address book, your navigation pane settings, your signatures, templates, and more.

If you're using a Microsoft Exchange, Office 365, or Outlook.com account, your email messages are backed up on your email server. In most cases, you won't have a Personal Folders file (.pst) for these types of accounts.

In order to view some of the backup files for Outlook, you'll need to unhide system folders and file name extensions. For information on how to perform that task, see How to unhide folders and file name extensions.
If you can get any sort of file manager working before you reset the machine, you might be able to copy that to a portable drive. You might be able to run a Linux distro from a USB drive.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/t ... -windows#0
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:18 am

Well I'll find out, I've already begun the reset. It's going very slowly, still stuck at 1% after 10 minutes.

I couldn't get anything to work to save files.

eta: suddenly it jumped to 28%, so hopefully all is going well.

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:25 am

Damn, wish I'd seen this sooner. 9 times out of 10 when you get this problem on a laptop it's trying to use the wireless network for something and refuses to give up. Solution is to manually switch off wireless and reboot. Wireless back on once it boots properly.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:55 am

Well everything is all reset and reinstalled and it's running like new. All the old emails were recovered from Microsoft Exchange, so all is well.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:57 am

gnome wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:25 am
Damn, wish I'd seen this sooner. 9 times out of 10 when you get this problem on a laptop it's trying to use the wireless network for something and refuses to give up. Solution is to manually switch off wireless and reboot. Wireless back on once it boots properly.
I don't know what it was doing, but sometimes it would boot to a black screen with just a cursor, other times it would boot to the desktop but everything was dead and nothing would open up.

Frankly she's been having issues with this computer for a while now, that last update was the straw that broke the camel's back apparently. But it's running like new now, probably should have reset it long ago!

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:37 am

Black screen with just a cursor is exactly the problem I used to run into that the wireless solution worked for.

But I'm glad it's reset and working fine. Just something to remember to try if it comes up again.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:15 am

Normal behavior for Windows...
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:43 am

What?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image