Video game surprise awesomeness

The war between wetware and hardware.
gnome

Video game surprise awesomeness

Post by gnome » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:01 pm

One of the things that especially entertains me in video games is when amazing things happen you didn't plan or expect, and possibly were not intended by the authors.

A few examples:

One from a long time ago that's never quite been topped:
- In the video game "Need For Speed: High Stakes" (#4), if you get arrested by a cop it pauses to show you a cut scene of the policeman confronting you at the point where you got pulled over. One map has a train running along the road that goes through tunnels, etc. I got stopped and the cutscene was positioned so that the police car was right on the tracks. I had enough time to think, "Wouldn't it be cool if..." and suddenly the train barreled out of a tunnel and plowed straight into the police car! I had a recording of it, but when the game was next patched the old recordings didn't work right.

Two from more recently, in the game "Saints Row 3" based on NPC behavior.
- NPC gang members in your own gang will ride with you in vehicles and sometimes follow you in a car. I'm not exactly sure how this happened but in the middle of a mission when getting into vehicles between events suddenly the ally NPC jumped in and started driving the car I entered! I decided to see where the heck they thought they were going, but it wound up less interesting--instead of moving to the next mission waypoint, they just drove around the block aimlessly like the other random cars.

- This only happened once... in the middle of a raid on a military base, I jumped into a VTOL fighter, and instead of joining me into the same plane, my NPC ally decided to hop into ANOTHER VTOL. They actually served as a fairly effective wingman during the rest of the mission and made it easier than it was probably supposed to be.

Anyone else got neat stories?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Video game surprise awesomeness

Post by ed » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:30 pm

I am a Gothc guy. Played the things many times.

The funniest thing that I have come across is a charater named Mudd in G1. He is without doubt the most obnoxious character in any entertainment medium. He latches onto you and follows you around whining and ... oy. What happens is that you end up killing him because he is such a pain in the ass.

I have read that the character is based on a DJ that one of the programmers took an immense dislike to. Immortality. I think that Dante did the same with some folks who irritated him.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:00 pm

I tend to believe you about Dante. I think I read in the annotations that a lot of the "damned" were contemporary figures.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:31 pm

Once I was playing a knight in Nethack and got off my horse in the Gnomish Mines to take a quick look downstairs.

When I got back, my horse stepped on a polymorph trap.

Usually that means the end of playing mounted at best. At worst in means losing the horse because it transforms into something weak and easily killed (or something that cannot usefully follow you around such as a shrieker).

This time it transformed into a black dragon, which is a helluva good fighting pet, and furthermore was still saddled so I could ride it flying.

I did get killed later in the game, but it was cool while it lasted.

Sorry no screenshot.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos. -- Abdul Alhazred

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:32 pm

Can you imagine having immortality and connected with that is a footnote that the artist thought you were a goat fornicator?

It doesn't really matter if it is true or not. And the learned papers discussing the possibility would be priceless.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!