errr ummm

The war between wetware and hardware.
ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

errr ummm

Post by ed » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:13 pm

I restarted my pc before I left for a late lunch. I come back to everything wiped. Like a clean install of win 10.

WTF???????????????????????????????
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: errr ummm

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:03 am

That isn't good.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:22 am

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... b2d3acab83
Automated Windows 10 updates deleted all my documents and files
I am in a state of shock. I was already using windows 10 and last night automated updates started without allowing me to stop them. This morning my computer is cleaned out with all those very important document deleted!!! Microsoft can do that??? How can I recover them ALL?????

John
No good answers there.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... er-upgrade

There either.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

ed

Post by ed » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:10 am

Almost everything. All the favorites and passwords associated with Opera, contact lists from Thunderbird.

Jesus

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:17 am

Backups

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:30 am

Holy crap, ed! Hope you get your files back, or have backups. :(

For my part I was always peeved by Windows' "nanny dictator" style – put your docs here, your music there, your programs in that folder, &c. – so the OS gets a small partition and everything else goes elsewhere. (Not always possible as some stupid programs want to be installed along Microsoft rules. :x )
I also use portable (no install) program versions when available (office, browsers [and their bookmarks...], Thunderbird, Calibre + my e-books, password manager, various tools) so Windows leaves them alone. On an external drive, to be moved from laptop to desktop and back.

You can try to index all your files with something like Locate32 (http://locate32.cogit.net/) and then search by name, extension, &c. Let's hope they just sit somewhere.

ed

Post by ed » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:14 pm

Everything important is backed up twice, sometimes three places including dropbox (tho' a virus got in there once too).

Problem is that I don't pay much attention to passords on Opera and such and that is a pain.

One might argue that one's machine, like one's body needs a purge occasionally. And we need a strong and large central government to decide what is best for us.

ed

Post by ed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:07 am

Happenned again today. Same thing!!???

WTF?

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:33 am

Move your documents and photos to a disk that is not hosting the OS. Usually Windows is installed on C:, so store your essentials on D: or E:, etc.

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:35 am

The first thing I used to do when getting a call like this is to see if you're not logged into your actual profile. You may have already done that, but in case you haven't, the way to check is to go into your system drive, then users, then your username, and then "Documents" or "Downloads" or whatever from there, to see if your files are actually there. Winding up logged into a "temporary profile" looks an awful lot like a wiped computer, but it's a more common error and much easier to recover from.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:45 am

What?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

ed

Post by ed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:12 pm

What is "missing" are settings and downloads. My custom desktop is markedly different. Passwords are gone, bookmarks are gone. Did global searches on some key words ... nada.

if I can find where firefox and thunderbird store stuff I can back that up along with critical files.

What a pain in the ass.

ed

Post by ed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:12 pm

Yeah .. I am thinking the hated fruit

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:29 pm

I use an external drive to store backup images of the hard drive, and I keep it disconnected unless I am running a backup, which I do every week.

ed

Post by ed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:25 pm

Image as in an exact copy?

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:26 pm

gnome wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:35 am
The first thing I used to do when getting a call like this is to see if you're not logged into your actual profile. You may have already done that, but in case you haven't, the way to check is to go into your system drive, then users, then your username, and then "Documents" or "Downloads" or whatever from there, to see if your files are actually there. Winding up logged into a "temporary profile" looks an awful lot like a wiped computer, but it's a more common error and much easier to recover from.
That's actually great advice. Someone gnomes what they are talking about.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:27 pm

ed wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:25 pm
Image as in an exact copy?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_image

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:53 pm

Mac, PC, or even Linux Abomination, pretty please, with sugar on top, clone the fucking drive.

Following gnome's advice may solve the problem if the update basically signed you out of your account. That generally does not happen with a Mac unless you are so mindless you have no sign-in on a restart. I am not sure if that is even possible. Sure, you can set a "dummy" account that will accept any password and restrict it from access to your files, but that is not something Mac does "for you."

In the rain.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:35 pm

ed wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:12 pm
What is "missing" are settings and downloads. My custom desktop is markedly different. Passwords are gone, bookmarks are gone. Did global searches on some key words ... nada.

if I can find where firefox and thunderbird store stuff I can back that up along with critical files.

What a pain in the ass.
I'm curious the result of checking that folder, as settings, download locations, bookmarks, and desktop appearance are definitely tracked by profile.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ed

Post by ed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:13 pm

Aint nuttin there. Also, my firefox profile is in some odd temp.library folder rather than the users\ed folder where all good christian profiles ought to be.
I log in with a password which was asked for safer the disaster.

TWICE!!!??!!!