errr ummm

The war between wetware and hardware.
ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: errr ummm

Post by ed » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:27 pm

I think that you need to come down here, Rob, and do some yard work to atone.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:35 pm

I'm sorry. I'll try to do better.

ed

Post by ed » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:57 pm

I need mowing and the margins of Lake Ed need to be attended to. Mind the serpents though.
eta. if you find any body parts just move them to deeper water.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:51 pm

k

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:18 pm

Today I am replacing a hard drive in my son's PC. Had started getting random BSODs. Event log showed a few items about writing to certain files taking a very long time, "possibly related to hardware failure." System was lagging, drive was quite audible.

Had him run a backup of the old drive ASAP. Cloning the old drive to the new drive using Clonezilla. Will take about an hour, then we'll try booting to the new drive after disconnecting the old.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:45 pm

Does Clonezilla allow a size increase in the replacement drive or would one need some sort of partition voodoo to accomplish that?
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:54 pm

Hmm I'll let you know. Meanwhile there is this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows ... ows-vista/
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:18 am

So yeah, Clonezilla has a lot of options which I didn't trust myself to understand completely, but I used the disk-to-disk clone option. Worked swell. The old disk was 750 gb with a recovery partition, leaving a 640 gb Windows partition. Clonezilla duplicated that exactly on the new 1 tb disk. Removed the old bad drive and booted up just fine on the new one. Partition was the same size as on the old drive. I used Windows Disk Management to extend the Windows partition into the unallocated space. Worked swell.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:33 am

↑ What kind of cable is needed for the cloning? (In case I have to do just that some day…)

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:29 am

In this case, the old drive was/is a SATA internal hard drive still connected to the system. I installed the new drive next to it, connected to another SATA port in the usual way.

I downloaded the Clonezilla ISO and burned that to a CD. Then booted to the CD, not the hard drive. This loads the Clonezilla implementation of Linux and you get some options to choose from. From there I chose the device-device option, aka "disk-to-disk or partition to partition clone/restore"

Clonezilla did see the external drive that were connected via USB cables. Presumably one could use "device-image" to write an image of the source drive to an external drive, then use "device-image" to restore the image from the external drive to a new, blank drive.

Various screen shots here:

https://clonezilla.org/screenshots/?in_ ... Clonezilla

You can also clone from a drive image to another drive if you want. I don't know anything about that. Docs are here:

https://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live-doc.php

There are probably more user-friendly utilities, such as Macrium Reflect, that are easier to use. I used Clonezilla because it worked very well for me when I had a drive to clone that had at least one bad sector that Macrium Reflect couldn't handle.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:44 am

↑ Thanks for all the details, Pyrrho! :)

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:02 am

Very sweet solution. Thanks from here as well!

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:42 am

Whereas I just tell my Mac to clone. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

ed

Post by ed » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:09 pm

When Rob gets here I'll put him on it.

gnome

Post by gnome » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:02 pm

I too am interested in the question of whether a mirror-style backup can be placed on a larger drive. Never tried.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:22 pm

It works unless you try to restore to a drive that has less capacity than the size of the source.

ed

Post by ed » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:06 pm

I will have some q's when my new/old machine arrives.

Frankly, there is so much crap on the old one that starting afresh might be ok. Can I just copy all the user files over?

sparks

Post by sparks » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:48 pm

Don't see why not. Thumb drive or share a folder on your home network.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:23 am

Again "Mac" but in my experience is it like putting your data on a much bigger hard drive.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

ed

Post by ed » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:32 pm

Got it. Evidently nicely exanable ..

One question ... can I copy c:\users\ed\*.* in it's entirety to the new machine?

Think is that my currrent machine has been whirring and clicking for ten (10!!) years without ever having been cleaned out or anything. I am perfectly happy to reinstall firefox et al and start fro scratch.

Think I just answered my oen question. As long as I am on the interwebs all should be well... godspeed john glenn