Machine translation

The war between wetware and hardware.
Anaxagoras

Machine translation

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:07 am

Got a new toy at work, just taking it for a test drive.
It lets you run things through several different publicly available machine translation services.

Let's see how they do. (Later I may provide my own, manual translation, for comparison).

Here's the test case. A very simple article in the Yomiuri Shimbun about a celebrity getting married. (I won't paste the original here but you can see it by following the link

https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/culture/20190213-OYT1T50277/

Let's see how they do.
Google Cloud Translation API wrote:Mr. Becky "Walking firmly" Marriage with Kataoka coach

Talent's Becky (34) has revealed that she married a professional baseball giant 's Kataoka Saito and Farm Uchino defensive baseball coach (35) on his or her twitter.

According to Becky's affiliation office, the two got acquainted with acquaintances' introduction and said they had dated since last year. Becky says "I will not forget the gratitude, slowly and steadily walk".

Kataoka coach joined Seibu in 2005. He has won the steal base for 4 consecutive years since 2007. He moved to a giant in 14 years and retired from his job in 17 years. "From now on as a baseball leader I would like to study everyday and nurture good players."
One thing you may notice is that Japanese doesn't give a lot of clues as to gender. Suzuki-san could be either male or female. It's not a very good translation, but it could be worse.
みんなの自動翻訳 API wrote:Becky is married to Coach Kataoka, who is going to walk well.

On September 13, Becky (34), a celebrity, revealed on his Twitter Twitter that he married a pro baseball player, Jiichi Kataoka, who was a former home coach of the Department of defense, and his wife, who was 35 years old.

According to Becky's office, the 2 acquaintances met with acquaintances, saying they had been dating since last year, and Becky says, "I'm going slowly and thoroughly with my gratitude.".

Coach Kataoka joined Seibu in 2005 and won a stolen base for 4 consecutive years. He was transferred to the Giants in 14 years and retired in 17 years. He went on to study everyday as a baseball instructor and he was able to grow a good player as a baseball instructor in the next years. 07.
This one is pretty awful overall, although in a few places it seems to do better than the first one. For example, "Becky (34), a celebrity," is much better than "Talent's Becky" which is too literal. Also, he "transferred to the Giants", he didn't "move to a giant". They both get the years wrong. It should be '14 and '17 as in 2014 and 2017, not "14 years" and "17 years". No idea where the
"Department of defense" comes from. He is a fielding and baserunning coach for their farm team.
Microsoft Translator API wrote:Becky's "walking firmly" married to coach Kataoka

The talent Becky (34) was married to a professional baseball and giant, Mr. Shoji Okaji, and the farm infield coach (35) on his own Twitter. According to Becky's office, the two of them were acquainted with their acquaintance and had been dating since last year.

Becky says, "I will not forget the gratitude, and walk slowly and firmly" and spelled. Coach Kataoka joined Seibu in 2005. Won the steals King for the fourth consecutive year from 2007. He was transferred to the Giants in 2002 and retired in 17 years. "As a baseball leader, I want to study every day and raise good players."
No idea where "Mr. Shoji Okaji" comes from. Clearly wrong. In fact not a single one of these gets the name entirely right. It is Yasuyuki Kataoka. He led the league in in stolen bases for 4 consecutive years from 2007.
Amazon Translate API wrote:Becky “Walk firmly” married Kataoka coach

Becky's talent (34) was married to a professional baseball giant Haruhi Kataoka, Farm Uchino defensive running coach (35) on the 13th.

According to Becky's office, the two people were acquainted with the introduction of acquaintances, and since last year, Becky says, “I will walk slowly and firmly, without forgetting my gratitude.”.

Kataoka coach joined Seibu in 2005. He won the stealing base for four consecutive years from 2007. He moved to a giant in 14th year and retired in 17th year. “As a baseball leader, I would like to study and develop good players every day,” he said.
Also pretty mediocre.
IBM Watson Language Translator API wrote:Becky: Walk with a Kataoka coach

A 34-year-old talent manager said on his Twitter account that he married professional baseball giant Haruhiro Kataoka, a 35-year-old home coach of the Farm Harm Field, on Sunday.

According to Becky's office, they were acquaintled with the introduction of the acquaintator, and had been dating since last year.Becky said, "I will not forget the feeling of gratitude, and I will continue to walk slowly and firmly."

Kataoka was joined by Seibu in 2005.He has won the stolen base for four consecutive years since 2007.He was transferred to the Giants in 2014, and retired in 2017."I will continue to study every day as a baseball coach and raise a good player," he said.
"the Farm Harm Field"?

Japanese newspaper headlines can be pretty cryptic sometimes. I think the "walk firmly" stuff is a quote from Becky about how she plans to approach this marriage. It's a little culture-specific and hard to get the right nuance across, but she says she will remember to stay grateful and walk slowly, but firmly (together with her husband).
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Machine translation

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:24 am

Are these the sort of mistakes a human translator might make who was unfamiliar with our culture?

I seem to recall some even awfuller (human) translations from the Japanese from years ago.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:37 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:24 am
Are these the sort of mistakes a human translator might make who was unfamiliar with our culture?

I seem to recall some even awfuller (human) translations from the Japanese from years ago.
A bad human translator could make some pretty bad mistakes not unlike some of those. It's because English is not their native language and they don't have a good sense of how to write idiomatic English. They rely on Japanese to English dictionaries because they have no clue how a native speaker would formulate the idea that they want to convey. But they would probably get the genders correct unless they are epically bad.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:55 am

On September 13, Becky (34), a celebrity, revealed on his Twitter Twitter that he married a pro baseball player, Jiichi Kataoka, who was a former home coach of the Department of defense, and his wife, who was 35 years old.
Hubba hubba

If the original were in Italian would the translations have been better? In other words, is the japanese the hurdle?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I am caring less day by day :x

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:14 pm

ed wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:55 am
Hubba hubba

If the original were in Italian would the translations have been better? In other words, is the japanese the hurdle?
Probably. There's often a lot of information that is missing in the Japanese. There is no explicit part of the language that clarifies gender from the grammar or syntax. You have to know that "Becky" is a woman and the baseball player is a man. The grammar doesn't tell you that, and machines aren't smart enough to infer it.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:20 pm

Probably. There's often a lot of information that is missing in the Japanese. There is no explicit part of the language that clarifies gender from the grammar or syntax. You have to know that "Becky" is a woman and the baseball player is a man. The grammar doesn't tell you that, and machines aren't smart enough to infer it.
Italian
Probabilmente. Spesso ci sono molte informazioni che mancano nel giapponese. Non esiste una parte esplicita del linguaggio che chiarisca il genere dalla grammatica o dalla sintassi. Devi sapere che "Becky" è una donna e il giocatore di baseball è un uomo. La grammatica non te lo dice e le macchine non sono abbastanza intelligenti da dedurlo.
Back to english
Probably. Often there is a lot of information that is missing in Japanese. There is no explicit part of language that clarifies gender from grammar or syntax. You must know that "Becky" is a woman and the baseball player is a man. Grammar does not tell you and the machines are not smart enough to deduce it.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I am caring less day by day :x

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Pretty good. Now find something that was originally written in Italian for Italians. A recent newspaper article, for example. And run it through the translator to see how well it does.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:01 pm

Google Translate Sings: "The Sound of Silence" (Simon & Garfunkel)

Awesome