phpBB --- WTF

The war between wetware and hardware.
ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

phpBB --- WTF

Post by ed » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:48 am

If I wanted to have a forum dedicated to my business interests, using
https://mybb.com/

(or anything else that is free/better etc)

what exactly is involved?

Remember that my attention span is ~a 3 year old and getting worse and I get pissed off easily. And, given recent history, anything that looks even vaguely like a computer is suspect and 9/10 of the way onto my shitlist. OTOH I am a quick learner though I tend to forget what i've learned in 8 hours or so. Given that, the fucker must be set-up-able within one working day.

Well?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

ed

Re: phpBB --- WTF

Post by ed » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:56 am

Installation Instructions
Quick and easy steps to get you up and running :lol:
These steps are by no means exhaustive or as detailed as possible. If you require more detailed installation instructions, please see MyBB Docs - Installing.

Unzip the release archive to your computer using an archive utility capable of decompressing the download format you chose (WinZip, WinRAR)
Using an FTP client (FlashFXP, FileZilla, SmartFTP), or a file manager provided with your hosting package, upload the entire contents of the 'Upload' directory to a visible directory on your web server (for example, forum or forums).
CHMOD the following files to 666 (ie, make sure that PHP can write to them).
./inc/settings.php
./inc/config.php (you must rename config.default.php to config.php first)
./inc/languages/*your_language*/*all files* (optional)
./inc/languages/*your_language*/admin/*all files* (optional)

CHMOD the following folders to 777 (ie, make sure that PHP can write to and execute from them).
./cache/
./cache/themes/
./uploads/
./uploads/avatars/
./admin/backups/ (optional)
In your browser, visit the URL where you installed your forums, appending /install/ on to the end of it.

If you installed your forums to http://www.yoursite.com/forums/ then you would visit http://www.yoursite.com/forums/install/.
Please follow the installation wizard through, making sure you have the following details handy:
Database Details:
MyBB 1.8 can run on MySQL, SQLite and PostgreSQL. You will need the details of your database so MyBB can connect to it. Generally your web host should be able to supply you with these details.
MySQL: You need your MySQL username, password, database name and the hostname or ip address of your MySQL server.
SQLite: You need the path to your database.
PostgreSQL: You need your PostgreSQL username, password, database name and the hostname or ip address of your PostgreSQL server.
Forum Details:
This includes the name of your forums, the URL to your forums directory, the name of your website, and the URL to your website.
Administrator Information:
During the installation process you will be required to create your initial administrator account. You will need to know which username, password, and email address you intend to use for this account
After the installation has completed, please delete the 'install' directory from server.
Note: for extra security you can CHMOD config.php back to 644, or even 444, but make sure you leave settings.php writable, as well as all the other files and folders with extra permissions.
You can now login to the Administration Control Panel by appending /admin/ on to the URL of your forums
Congratulations, you should now have an installed and working copy of MyBB on your web server.
:shock:

WTF????????

ed

Post by ed » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:02 pm

MyBB is as easy as 5 minutes of time to install. Here is the lowdown on how-to:
Download MyBB
Create a MySQL Database on your host via cPanel
Create a MySQL user in your cPanel
Assign the database user to the newly created database
Create an FTP Account
I recomment Downloading FileZilla to do your FTP transfers
Install FileZilla
User your sites name w/o www. to enter the information for 'host' - (Example- yoursite.com)
Use your cPanel Username and Password to login to FileZilla assigning the port as 21-22
Locate the Public_html directory
In your Public_html directory create a folder called forums
Drag and Drop the contents of the Upload folder to your forums folder in public_html directory
Do the proper CHMOD measures before trying to install found here
(CHMOD Note: CHMOD'ing in FileZilla, you right click the files/folders and go to 'File Permissions' and change them to the ones labeled here)
go to your site and run the installer (yoursite.com/forums/install)
Next go through the installer, it only takes about 5 minutes
Note: Make sure to have your new MySQL database information handy username/password/etc before running the installer

ed

Post by ed » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:02 pm

What host? what cpanel

jesus christ

Bananas?-Yes

Post by Bananas?-Yes » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:51 pm

The opening to this discussion would scare the heck out of anyone that might be willing to help, because once you do set up your forum you have a lot of maintenance work to do to keep it running and a lot of security work to keep the community safe.

Sir, are you really serious about some of what you wrote in your opening post? Anybody who does not ask that question is not going to be completely honest with you.

If you are serious about what you wrote, you need somebody to help you --- FOR SURE! I'm sorry I'm being so blunt, but that is simply plain fact!!

And to move on, I did a complete review about 6 or so months ago (before I updated my community site) of the newest packages that were out there that weren't asking for cash and the best was phpBB. I admit I have problems with some of the humans that work the package, but I have problems with lots of humans and so I have to put up with some of what I see the new modern human has become.

But phpBB has about the easiest admin panel to work with, for starters. And the convert kits, if that comes up down the road, are rather okay, too.

But, AGAIN, there is a whole mess of work to properly running one of these forum communities, and that vocabulary "community" is the biggest key to success --- treat folks with respect and view their safety as uppermost when they visit your community.

Again, sorry for being so blunt a bit up there in this post. But I was simply being straight with you. It ain't easy to run one of these communities safely.
Last edited by Bananas?-Yes on Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
+ + + Bananas are group oriented. + + +

ed

Post by ed » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:17 pm

Bananas?-Yes wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:51 pm
The opening to this discussion would scare the heck out of anyone that might be willing to help, because once you do set up your forum you have a lot of maintenance work to do to keep it running and a lot of security work to keep the community safe.

I should have added "pussies need not reply"

Anyone who is scared by a post should be beaten. They are beneath contempt.

They are ... sissies :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Bananas?-Yes

Post by Bananas?-Yes » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:48 pm

Interesting language there.

I never did quite get that business with profanity figured out, even when I was on active duty. And it sure isn't very useful on civilian radio traffic in the air. Could actually get somebody hurt.

Anyway, good luck running your forum. I guess your request for help was just to draw out some idiot like me and then you have fun posting that profanity. Interesting humans are everywhere.
+ + + Bananas are group oriented. + + +