scary scams

The war between wetware and hardware.
ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

scary scams

Post by ed » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:04 pm

I can only think "ransomeware".

The first email is from Shopify, a service we have not used for 8 months. "Confirm my account" is a link.

The second one is a bit more troubling since it appends the "click here" scam to a real email thread concerning a real real customer. The email address is spoofed too. There is a lot more to the email thread which I deleted.

The last one is from a company that we never dealt with and that seems to be starting up.

Thing is, as a person who welcomed the Osiris malware into my home, clicking on this stuff is pretty easy to do if you are not thinking. And using a real email thread is very troubling.

Dear Customer,

Our systems recently identified charges that appear to be unauthorized by the cardholder, meaning that the owner of the credit or debit card did not consent to these payments.

We're sorry that we won't be able to offer you service going forward, but our restrictions here are firm. If you believe that we've made a mistake, we'd like to remedy the situation as quickly as possible. To help us effectively revisit your account, please complete the following form
Confirm My Account

Note : Once you have done this steps, your account will be activated

© Shopify | 150 Elgin Street, Ottawa ON, K2P 1L4
Good morning,

Please look at the attached file.

Reply here if you have any questions.

ATTACHMENT DOCUMENT

Thanks...

> We will refund the cost of the Stock Adapter, once it is returned. You will receive an email at that time confirming your refund.
>
>
ABBACOM INC

David Springer sent you a file to review.

David said:

"Review this secured PDF folder and let me know your thought about it"

VIEW COMPLETED FILE

© 2019 Technology Pty Ltd

image.png

David Springer

PRESIDENT ABBACOM
1393 East Zenith Ave.
Salt Lake City, Utah 84106
DSpringer@abbacom.com
c. 801.301.2485

O.801280-2191

Celebrating 35 Years of Excellent Service

PLEASE DO NOT read, copy, or disseminate this communication unless you are the intended addressee. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately. Thank you.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Re: scary scams

Post by shemp » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:22 pm

Scum like this are why drawing and quartering should be brought back. Not that they ever get caught though.

By the way, congratulations on surviving Dorian. I hope your stereo is intact, I still have dibs.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: scary scams

Post by ed » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:24 pm

shemp wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:22 pm
Scum like this are why drawing and quartering should be brought back. Not that they ever get caught though.

By the way, congratulations on surviving Dorian. I hope your stereo is intact, I still have dibs.
Thanks. Nary a drop of rain. I guess it never got closer than 200 miles or so (the eye I mean)
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!