Post-Apocalyptic Computing

The war between wetware and hardware.
Witness

Post-Apocalyptic Computing

Post by Witness » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:42 am

'Collapse OS' Is an Open Source Operating System for the Post-Apocalypse

The operating system is designed to work with ubiquitous, easy-to-scavenge components in a future where consumer electronics are a thing of the past.

Between nuclear weapons, climate disaster, and tech bros' unbridled thirst for control over our lives, it sure does feel like the end is approaching "nigh" status.

In a post-apocalyptic future, be it nuclear wasteland or Anthropocene nightmare, a common sci-fi trope is that those able to harness old world technology will have the upper hand. Collapse OS is a new open source operating system built specifically for use during humanity's darkest days. According to its creator, software developer Virgil Dupras, Collapse OS is what the people of the future will need to reconfigure their scavenged iPhones. For now, though, he's hosting the project on GitHub and looking for contributors.

“I'm doing this to mitigate a risk that I think is real. Not inevitable, but likely enough to warrant a modest effort,” Dupras said in an email.

Collapse OS will work with Z80 8-bit microprocessors. Though less common today than 16- and 32-bit components, the 8-bit Z80 can be found in desktop computers, cash registers, musical instruments, graphing calculators, and everything in between. In a Reddit Q&A, Dupras explained that the Z80 was chosen "because it's been in production for so long and because it's been used in so many machines, scavenger have good chances of getting their hands on it."
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ywaq ... apocalypse

:mrgreen:

If I'm not mistaken the venerable Z80 is still used in space probes as it's quite radiation resistant. Bonus!