Computer Generated Malware

The war between wetware and hardware.
Bananas?-Yes

Computer Generated Malware

Post by Bananas?-Yes »

I suspect that title causes a blood pressure increase very quickly in some folks and I sure can understand that this is thinking so far out of the box that some might think I can't even see the box from where I am, but let me get a little help from an institution that was of some help to me many, many years ago:

Toward artificial intelligence that learns to write code

So it is not beyond the scope of normal thinking to give consideration to the idea of a computer writing code. And we're in the very early stages of this computer writing code business, right?

So what has me wondering is what might be the consequences if a computer made some sort of mistake and accidently created some sort of malware?

I did a pretty good search over the past hour or so and did save the results and I can't find any signs of any whizz-kid (or old man) exploring this idea of a computer generated malware problem arising, but that doesn't mean nobody has thought of it. They are just not crazy enough to put the question to the public because they will be looked upon as being ... what ... bananas.

But if a computer were to accidently generate some malware; because it is computer generated, it might be very difficult to write a code to combat the bad code, yes?
+ + + Bananas are group oriented. + + +

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Computer Generated Malware

Post by Pyrrho »

For malware to be malware, it has to do certain things which, one might suppose, can and should be guarded against.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

There's already computers writing code, though I wouldn't call it AI. Have been for a long time, in fact.

For example (one of many): The DB2 pre-processor that converts SQL queries into something a mainframe COBOL compiler can interface with.

As for computer generated malware (not AI), there are virus kits that are in effect set up "wizards" that require even less programming ability than your average script kiddie. My use of the term "wizard" is a clue to how long these have been around.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Not specifically malware, but "artificial life" where programs compete, evolve, mutate, &c. I'm not aware of recent projects, but in the 90ies there was the Tierra simulation.

There is also the Core War game in which programs battle for the control of (virtual) memory.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:42 pm
There's already computers writing code, though I wouldn't call it AI. Have been for a long time, in fact.

For example (one of many): The DB2 pre-processor that converts SQL queries into something a mainframe COBOL compiler can interface with.

As for computer generated malware (not AI), there are virus kits that are in effect set up "wizards" that require even less programming ability than your average script kiddie. My use of the term "wizard" is a clue to how long these have been around.
Are you talking about compilers? Programs that translate code (written in some computer language for humans) into 1s and 0s that a machine can read?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: Not gay

Post by ed »

If computers can write code would humans writing code be an example of cultural appropriation?
About that stereo

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

ed wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:29 am
If computers can write code would humans writing code be an example of cultural appropriation?
The other way round. The computers are the cultural appropriators.

Any major project (such as converting a mainframe COBOL shop to C-sharp in the cloud) still needs to be debugged by humans after the computer does the grunt work.

That approach gets the project done faster and cheaper (before bringing in humans to fix the mess after the end of the fiscal year).

Witness

Post by Witness »

The link is broken for me. Here's a working one (and https :) ):
https://news.mit.edu/2019/toward-artifi ... -code-0614

Reading the article, it's a bit early to fear computer-generated malware as their AI-thingy is just able to write 4-liners similar to what it has been fed. (I'll also note that "toward" or "towards" in a title is a clear mark of PoMo thinking/publishing. :mrgreen: )

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

You don't merely mean computer generated malware.

You mean an AI that somehow decides on its own to generate and deploy some malware. :cowbell:

Bananas?-Yes

Post by Bananas?-Yes »

Frankly, I would hope that humans would be smart enough to catch that before it were to happen. I mean, a digital program that would intentionally create malware. That is why I was postulating an accident.

If any sort of AI or AL or whatever it should be labeled were so "smart" as to be able to be of a "mind" to do bad the human responsible for keeping an eye on the evolution of that particular "machine" had better be a sharp cookie and shut that sucker down. And I mean shut it down before she/he goes to the boss to tell her/him there is a problem.

And if the boss doesn't see the danger, get that boss fired.

Wait, Hollywood thinking is slipping into my brain.

Lock the boss into a room with that machine after the boss goes into that room to turn the power back on. Let the boss and the machine go at each other. A stupid human and a bad machine. But you sure better have a way to pull the plug on that machine after the boss dies, as will happen.
+ + + Bananas are group oriented. + + +

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/ai-i ... ideo-games
Michael Cook, a 30-year-old senior research fellow at the University of Falmouth, has built an AI capable of imagining new video games from scratch. Cook calls the machine Angelina, a recursive acronym that stands for “A Novel Game-Evolving Labrat I’ve Named Angelina” (a joke that Cook says got old pretty quickly). Since its earliest form, in 2011, it has created hundreds of experimental video games, received acclaim in an international game-making competition, and had its work featured in a New York gallery exhibit.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Next up, 'bots that play those video games so people have time to get out of the house. :)

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »