Crypto

The war between wetware and hardware.
Witness

Crypto

Post by Witness »

Does anybody here encrypt one/some/all of his drives? Or folders?

Anaxagoras

Re: Crypto

Post by Anaxagoras »

Not me.

Was this answer helpful? Please give us feedback so that we can improve our customer service.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Anax, you're supposed to give the customer a Survey Monkey link.

Anyway, my work laptops are encrypted. My own system is not.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

ed
Title: Not gay

Post by ed »

I encrypt some selected files using Veracrypt.
About that stereo

Witness

Post by Witness »

Thanks for your answers, even the tongue in cheek ones.

I never cared about encryption till recently: one of my external HDs (Seagate 3TB) died suddenly but was still under warranty. So give it back with personal stuff on it?

Inquiry at Seagate was fun, very detailed suggestions (swap cables, &c., the usual) but they couldn't really understand I wasn't interested in getting my data back.

But the shop where I bought it is part of a chain and the main office assured me my drive would be destroyed on reception. Good enough for me, I'm not NSA-worthy.

In the meantime I bought an external 1TB SSD… and it came with a disk encryption software. So the two things connected: drives should be encrypted, at least as long as they are under warranty. Or at least some folders. (Just files won't work for me.)

Problems (that's why I asked):
  • is there a noticeable performance hit?
  • Internet reviews of disk encryption software are lousy.
:mrgreen:

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

On the work laptops, no noticeable performance hit...then again I don't have an equivalent non-encrypted system running the same software for comparison, so it's possible that some of the Adobe software lag could be caused by encryption of the cache files. Since I don't know any different I am used to whatever it does.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.