Music players

The war between wetware and hardware.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Music players

Post by sparks »

Anybody got recommendations on a decent music player to replace that piece of shit Windows Media Player? I've just about had my fill of that outdated and unsupported shit storm.

I simply need something that will play wav files of any stripe and properly import and deal with them afterward. And since I'm fond of making my own playlists, it should be competent at that as well.

Exporting playlists to phones and other devices is also necessary.

Past that, fuck all the other bloatware bullshit.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Witness

Re: Music players

Post by Witness »

I only listen to online radio (or my CDs), not files, so it's perhaps not what you need: https://www.aimp.ru/?do=features

There's a portable version on Portableapps.com.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

sparks wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:56 pm
Anybody got recommendations on a decent music player to replace that piece of shit Windows Media Player? I've just about had my fill of that outdated and unsupported shit storm.

I simply need something that will play wav files of any stripe and properly import and deal with them afterward. And since I'm fond of making my own playlists, it should be competent at that as well.

Exporting playlists to phones and other devices is also necessary.

Past that, fuck all the other bloatware bullshit.

VLC
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
Open source. 10's of millions of users. I can't remember ever not having it.

Plays everything - Files, Discs, Webcams, Devices and Streams.
Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed - MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3...
Runs on all platforms - Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix, iOS, Android ...
Completely Free - no spyware, no ads and no user tracking.

gnome

Post by gnome »

PLEX!!! USE PLEX FOR EVERYTHING!!!

"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

VLC is said to suck, yet that is what I use and I find it satisfactory.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Thanks for the info guys. :)

sparks

Post by sparks »

Been doing some research on VLC and I understand it can rip DVDs and Blu rays. Have you used it for that Rob?

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

I'm sure I have but I don't specifically remember doing so. VLC is the only thing I've used since forever so probably.

Who the fuck still uses dvd's? Do you keep them in your root cellar beside the flour mill?

sparks

Post by sparks »

I have an extensive collection of both DVDs and Blu rays and am thinking about creating a mega server and ripping the entire collection so I don't have to handle the discs all the time which, as you know, can fuck them up.

A not insignificant number of titles are no longer available and I loathe streaming due to the usually shitty quality.

gnome

Post by gnome »

I have done this, and found it very effective. Much less clutter and (as you say) physical degradation.

PLEEEEEEEEX!!
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Plex is a nice storage ... great storage, great front end, but it doesn't offer any ripping, editing, formatting yadas. Plex is the endpoint, but you gotta feed it first

sparks

Post by sparks »

gnome? :) Ripping software?

Was thinking of a 5 bay Drobo with 12TB drives running in a RAID 5 array. Should be plenty of room and some safety against a single drive failure.

gnome

Post by gnome »

No kill like overkill?

I'm only just looking at upgrading to a single 8TB for my media drive.

Then again, you use up space quickly if you save movies at bluray quality. I reserve that for my favorites. I found out my old DVDs are stored at 480p, so I ripped them at the same resolution. I was able to stuff them all on my 2TB drive and barely notice.
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome »

sparks wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:04 pm
I have an extensive collection of both DVDs and Blu rays and am thinking about creating a mega server and ripping the entire collection so I don't have to handle the discs all the time which, as you know, can fuck them up.

A not insignificant number of titles are no longer available and I loathe streaming due to the usually shitty quality.
There's also the occasional problem where sometimes an older cut or release is preferred and not widely available.
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

gnome wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:06 pm
No kill like overkill?

I'm only just looking at upgrading to a single 8TB for my media drive.
I'll be a bit of a buttinsky and say if you are upgrading to a single 8tb, you're doing it way, way wrong. That is the quintessential putting all of your eggs into the proverbial basket; a basket that is already falling the minute you turn it on.

Raid, son.

I think sparks is overkill at raid 5 but it's his money.

You should at least consider raid 1. That means two 8tb drives acting in unison. Figure $400 with the appliance. I'm using a Western Digital Cloud 2x2tb I bought about 3 years ago. An 8tb would run you ...

--breakautofuck--

About $500

Over those three years I've had two drive failures. Pop out the bad drive, pop in a new one. No muss, no fuss, and keeps your freezer free for food.

sparks

Post by sparks »

I've read that the average movie on DVD runs 4GB. I've got a mix of DVD and Blu ray, I presume the Blu rays consume even more space. The current library is at about 1000 titles. And I refuse to fuck the quality via some goofball compression scheme.

So, 4TB minimum. 8TB would probably be sufficient. But, room to grow is necessary. And Rob, with two drive failures in just 3 years, what brand of drives are you using? Holy shit, that seems excessive.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

The failed ones were both WD drives, the originals that came with the NAS box. WD replaced them free of charge though. Backblaze, an upstart cloud storage provider, does quarterly reports on their drive failures. They're a very cool company. So, while WD is bad, check out the pustular psoriasis that is Seagate in 2016. Somebody at Seagate fell asleep at their QA desk in 2016.

13% annual failure rate. WD was second worse at 5%. IIRC, there was some kind of natural disaster somewhere that took out a bunch of manufacturing plants.

When I first retired from the Navy, I interviewed for a job at Seagate. They had a manufacturing plant here in Virginia Beach. That interview did not go well.

They asked all kinds of BS hypotheticals that I realized halfway through this was not a job for me. Finally,

"So what would you do if discovered a co-worker stealing office supplies or making long distance phone calls on company phones," asked the HR rep.

I knew what the right answer was -- turn him in -- but I was done by then.

"I'd make a note of it and keep it on file. You never know when stuff like that will become valuable. He might get in my way someday."

That was the end of that.

Witness

Post by Witness »

sparks wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:47 pm
And I refuse to fuck the quality via some goofball compression scheme.
If I'm not mistaken DVD videos are encoded with the old (some would say archaic) MPEG2 format. Nothing to stop you from using a modern codec to re-encode (while ripping) without perceptible quality loss and shrinking the files. Make some tests.

As for the RAID, you don't need that because you don't need real-time redundancy (or is your movie watching "mission critical"?). Buy two drives and if/when the one you use dies you'll just swap in the copy and buy a new one.
Of course if it's a matter of having fun with gadgets…

You could invest the spared money in a top-notch soundcard. If your ears are still up to the task, of course. :wink:

My 5 ¢.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:29 pm
Buy two drives and if/when the one you use dies you'll just swap in the copy and buy a new one.
lol. you're describing a manual raid. :P

sparks

Post by sparks »

In my current little scheme the laptop spits out HDMI which plugs directly into the Sony flat screen which appears to have a decent audio codec built in. From there, it's analog out of the Sony into the room equalizer (which also converts from a consumer unbalanced input to a pro grade balanced output) and then on to the power amps and JBLs.

As for compressing a DVD (or Blu ray for that matter), that would amount to double compression and I call that heresy!!! :) Besides, drive space is dirt cheap these days. Except for those pesky SSD thingies.