FORTRAN

The war between wetware and hardware.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

FORTRAN

Post by Pyrrho »

Because yeah.

https://dev.to/lautarolobo/february-of-fortran-29k7
Fortran is a 63 y.o. programming language developed by IBM for scientific and engineering applications. Its name is an acronym from FORmula TRANslation , and still being in use for that purpose.

It’s a general-purpose programming language, but best suited for computationally intensive areas like computational physics, computational chemistry, high-performance computing and so.

Many programming languages were based on or influenced by, Fortran. And it has received many updates among the years, last one in 2018.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: FORTRAN

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Show of hands please.

Who here has done FORTRAN on the job, even just a little bit, at some point in their career?

Boardman Road Laboratories of IBM, 1980s. Just a little bit. They were making the switch to PL/1 :oldman:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

ed
Title: Not gay

Post by ed »

Teeny bit back in the mid 70's, went to ALGOL though.
About that stereo

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Used it back in the 80's. Learned it for an NEC in Computerized Automatic Test Equipment. Used it sparingly for the next four years. Taught it a little as a navy instructor. Not a hater.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Never programmed on the job, but I had a Fortran course when I was a student and used it a very little bit during a summer job (to punch cards of a specific color, ha ha!).

I will remember to the end of my life the dreaded LINKAGE EDITOR CANNOT CONTINUE. :x

That being said, Fortran has become a slick language. Here's a free compiler with a nice IDE (does C++ too): https://www.silverfrost.com/.

And there's also an Algol 60 somewhere, for ed. :mrgreen:

ed
Title: Not gay

Post by ed »

Algol 60, thats what it was.
About that stereo