RIP Intel?

The war between wetware and hardware.
Witness

RIP Intel?

Post by Witness »

Intel stock dives, investors ‘frustrated’ by new manufacturing defects

Intel shares plunged Thursday after the company reported serious manufacturing problems with its next generation of microprocessor. The company suggested it might turn to its rivals to make new chips if Intel cannot make them in its own factories.

Intel said it is a year behind in developing its forthcoming 7-nanometer processors, an ominous sign after the company suffered years of delays producing its current generation of 10nm chips. The latest problems will result in a six-month delay in bringing the 7nm technology to market, according to Intel, which is now due late in 2022 or early 2023.

Investors were blindsided and Intel’s stock slid 10% in after-hours trading.

Intel touted strong second-quarter results – sales were up 20% despite the pandemic, well ahead of Wall Street expectations. But investors focused on the bad news about the 7nm chips and nearly every question on the company’s quarterly analyst call was about Intel’s manufacturing woes.

Intel develops each new generation of chip technology at its Ronler Acres campus in Hillsboro, advancing computing power on a regular cadence called “Moore’s Law.”

The term, coined by Intel founder Gordon Moore, predicts exponential growth in computing power on a dependable timetable – driven by improvements in manufacturing technology that enable smaller features on each new generation of chips.

As those features approach the atomic level, though, it becomes more difficult to deliver those regular improvements. It’s a challenge every company has been facing but Intel competitors – especially contract manufacturer Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. – don’t seem to have run into the same problems Intel has.

Last month, Apple announced it is dumping Intel chips from its Mac lineup of PCs and laptops. Continued production problems could prompt other manufacturers and data center operators to do the same.

On Thursday, Swan said Intel has developed “contingency plans” to outsource production of new chip designs to other manufacturers if it cannot deliver its own technology. It’s a humbling admission from a company that long cherished its title as the world’s most advanced chipmaker.
https://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-fore ... fects.html

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: RIP Intel?

Post by Rob Lister »

and amd has been kicking their ass.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

One way or another, the brand is not going away.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

And AMD shit runs hot, burns up quickly, and generally sucks pillory's ass.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

I've always used AMD processors with no problems at all. Saved myself a small fortune.

Suck it up, sparks.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

But you want Nuns to fuck you up the ass with big black dildos.

I rest my case. :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

asthmatic camel

Whilst that may be true, I'll bet that my five-year-old AMD FX8350 8 core based PC kicks the crap out your puny, overpriced Intel piece of shit. I've built four of these for people and they're all still going strong.

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

asthmatic camel

(I was saving those for Lord Kilik, but you can have them because you're a cunt.)

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

asthmatic camel wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:21 am
(I was saving those for Lord Kilik, but you can have them because you're a cunt.)
Conveniently adjusted for use as an avatar. 8)

Image By the way, is this someone I should recognize? Lord Ramsbottom perhaps?

asthmatic camel

It's Windsor Davies playing Battery Sergeant Major Tudor Bryn 'Shut Up' Williams in BBC sitcom It Ain't Half Hot Mum.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Here's episode 1.

Sorry couldn't even get through the first five minutes, but I did catch a glimpse of our man during the opening credits.

asthmatic camel

You tried to watch a BBC sitcom?

Lesson learned.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

asthmatic camel wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:03 pm
You tried to watch a BBC sitcom?

Lesson learned.
:doh:

As it might be Seinfeld. 8)