A blast from the past

The war between wetware and hardware.
gnome

A blast from the past

Post by gnome »

Emerging from what I call the "Tin cans and string" days of the Internet, a summary of lore from the Usenet service.

https://www.linux.it/~md/usenet/legends1.html
dbd@panacea.phys.utk.edu (David DeLaney) wrote:This... is the Net.Legends FAQ. Due to minutes^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hweeks of unrelenting plagiar^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hresearch, we have gathered together here some descriptions of those net.phenomena that one hears about in passing, and (due to the collective memory of the Net being about one week, maximum) wishes one had more information about (such as "Who *was* McElwaine, anyway, and *why* is he still being talked about?). What follows is a list of some of the Legends of the Net, along with descriptions, semi-explanations, and (in some cases) a parenthesized catchphrase for easy identification... not all of the following are completely factual entries: in some cases the true facts are known only to one person, or lost in the mists of time, while in others the facts pale in relation to the mythology. In any case, the actual facts included, sparse though they may be, are true as far as I know; if you have evidence otherwise, please contact me and *tell* me (saying "This is wrong!" without actually saying *what* is wrong with it is of little use to me, though...) (Note: "Myth" is canonically used to refer to stories involving gods or other supernatural beings; "legend" refers to stories involving humans that could be true.)
This was compiled AFTER the Eternal September, but refers to a lot of antediluvian figures and events. Of special interest are the "non-people" entries starting in part 2 (you must increment the number in the URL). Those identify various references, some of which are still nominally in use. It also has a prototype "rules of the internet" BEFORE Rule 34 was expressed (but containing Godwin).
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2