Ancient Warfare Expert Says Your Film Sucks

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Ancient Warfare Expert Says Your Film Sucks

Post by Doctor X »

I particularly like his "How to Defeat an Army of Ice Zombies."

– J. "Dig a Pit!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Re: Ancient Warfare Expert Says Your Film Sucks

Post by robinson »

I’m no expert, but it’s pretty fucking obvious most movies are made up and often stupid
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
Giz

Post by Giz »

Next up, royal marine commando says that “Commando” not an accurate depiction of modern combat
robinson

Post by robinson »

I don’t care that game was awesome
robinson

Post by robinson »

Most unrealistic part of shoot em up games

Lots and lots of ammo

No need to carry it either
Giz

Post by Giz »

Or lord of the rings movie. Aragorn, legolas, gimlet, boromir, Frodo... no one carried water or provisions. Dark lord probably just expected them to starve. I’ve seen better prepared suburbanites on a 1-mile hike.
robinson

Post by robinson »

Nobody ever poops
robinson

Post by robinson »

Or even has to pee
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I liked that he did not pick the obvious like, "why is everyone but you wearing a helmet?"

– J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Giz wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:14 pm Or lord of the rings movie. Aragorn, legolas, gimlet, boromir, Frodo... no one carried water or provisions. Dark lord probably just expected them to starve. I’ve seen better prepared suburbanites on a 1-mile hike.
Lembas.

Hth.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:35 am

I particularly like his "How to Defeat an Army of Ice Zombies."

– J. "Dig a Pit!" D.
Braveheart isn't accurate? Geddouddahere!

robinson

Post by robinson »

Doctor X wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:39 am I liked that he did not pick the obvious like, "why is everyone but you wearing a helmet?"

– J.D.
That would be like pointing out space helmets with a light inside the helmet(so you can see the actors face), which would make it impossible to see our of the helmet
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I particularly like how Mel runs with a claidheamh-mòr, then an axe, then a claidheamh-mòr as a truck follows them in a distance.

Still, the majestic views of Stirling Bridge made up for such lapses.

– J.D.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:19 am
Still, the majestic views of Stirling Bridge made up for such lapses.

– J.D.
Divisional games are important, yes, but no one wants to lose the Superbowl.

gnome

Post by gnome »

I wish they'd gotten some ancient warfare experts in on GoT Season 8's Battle of Winterfell. I figure they could have gotten lots of good advice relatively cheap.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

gnome wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:44 am I wish they'd gotten some ancient warfare experts in on GoT Season 8's Battle of Winterfell. I figure they could have gotten lots of good advice relatively cheap.
Or some lighting technicians.
This space for let
robinson

Post by robinson »

Accurate depictions of war do not entertain

They horrify
gnome

Post by gnome »

There's a scale. They don't need to show the horrifying reality of war to remember you put your catapults BEHIND your infantry.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Hotarubi wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:20 amDivisional games are important, yes, but no one wants to lose the Superbowl.
Rather than win some prefer to pass.
gnome wrote:There's a scale. They don't need to show the horrifying reality of war to remember you put your catapults BEHIND your infantry.
And not charge an array of pikes.

– J.D.

Giz

Post by Giz »

Doctor X wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:21 am
Hotarubi wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:20 amDivisional games are important, yes, but no one wants to lose the Superbowl.
gnome wrote:There's a scale. They don't need to show the horrifying reality of war to remember you put your catapults BEHIND your infantry.

– J.D.
724987B1-A6DB-45DD-8B27-81C8B95724AE.jpeg
It’s ok, if it’s down a mountain
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Doctor X wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:21 am

– J.D.
Exactly. The writing room for that episode should have had a gaggle of war history enthusiasts and the sort of people that plan zombie defenses. The fans would have eaten it up.

Some things they did all right--even though it was a misuse of light cavalry, I really liked the scene where
Spoiler:
The flaming-sword Dothraki charged the unseen enemy in the darkness and all you could see were the flames going out
... it was visually effective and conveyed exactly the desired mood.
--Soldier, TF2
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Yeah, that was one of the few effective scenes. Reminded me of "Not Billy Bear" getting killed in the Japanese Original Predator: he makes a big show of facing said Predator, and you soon after only hear his scream. Later, you just see the Predator dump his carcass on a branch so he can pull out his spine and skull.

So much for machismo.

As a Wee Spud, I visited a history museum. In the military section there were numbers of dioramas. I listened to an older British man pick apart one for his grandson. It was the "group of soldiers with pikes and stuff," with a cavalry of knights charging in to them. He explained that horses would not do that, and their riders would not as well. "There is canon there, they would soften them up with that first!"

Even as a Wee Spud I agreed that that made sense, and it remained whenever I would see a film where a group would try to "smash" into another army.

The sad irony of Braveheart, which is still an AWESOME film that proves the English killed Jesus, is the pike technique was not used at Sterling. There was this bridge the English tried to cross. Why it is the "Battle of Sterling Bridge."

Oddly enough, one of the better portrayals of this is Kagemusha. It depicts one of the more famous battles where one side decided, "hey, like, let's put all of our guys with these things we bought from the Round Eyed Devils Dutch in protected groups and, like, shoot the fuck out of those guys charging at us," and the other side decided, "let's charge them!" The carnage made Civil War debacles seem tame. You only see the charge, hear the guns, and see the bodies. In other words, it is not worth filming the slaughter. That battle is briefly touched upon by the Netflix series I am embarrassed to admit I only know about because of Anaxのワイフ お姉様.

Or consider that Maj. Gen. Ambrose "Snatched Defeat from the Jaws of Victory" Burnside performed such a stupidity repeatedly at Fredericksburg. Watching, Lee noted, “It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.”

Later that year, Lee did the same thing at Gettysburg. The defending Union soldiers taunted him by chanting "Fredericksburg."

Should we blame Hollywood for bringing to the screen the fantasies we have?

In the pit.

– J. "Dig a Pit!" D.

gnome

Post by gnome »

I did wonder where the hell this bridge was they kept talking about. And why large pointed sticks were a surprise to anyone.
--Soldier, TF2
robinson

Post by robinson »

The Scott’s used shields and long pikes to form hedgehogs, which the Calvary could not attack. That part is true.
robinson

Post by robinson »

With out archers or Calvary, the English had to fight man to man, which just sucked
Giz

Post by Giz »

Yeah, the best leaders make sure they have Calvary.

You could say it is the hill they choose to die on.
robinson

Post by robinson »

Mounted archers were the most deadly ancient war method

Just ask Ghengis
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

One word: Machine Guns.

Checkmate.
This space for let
robinson

Post by robinson »

Viet Cong
gnome

Post by gnome »

robinson wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:48 pm The Scott’s used shields and long pikes to form hedgehogs, which the Calvary could not attack. That part is true.
I believe that--what was weird was the film presenting it as a novelty that Wallace practically invented.
--Soldier, TF2
robinson

Post by robinson »

People watch movies to be entertained

Not educated
gnome

Post by gnome »

If the writers wanted to make fiction, they could just have done so.

Besides, it entertains me to review how close they got to real history. That's separate from the fact that I did indeed enjoy the movie anyway despite its flaws.
--Soldier, TF2
robinson

Post by robinson »

Wallace is credited with the first use of Circular schiltrons, which is the name for what I described above.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Basically, a guy named Wallace, who may not actually be a "Wallace" and related to the William Wallace, wrote a fantasy novel that St. Mel of Gibson adapted. The book is hopelessly unhistorical, which the author blurbered claims of how he captured the spirit of history and all the usual bullshit theologians use to try to make into history whatever fantasy they have.

William Wallace's father survived him.

As did Longshanks.

Still, it is an awesome film.

Even if no one wore those kilts, and The Prisoner probably did not toss his son's lover out of a window.

In the rain.

– J.D.

P.S. The failure to incorporate the bride in the Battle of Sterling Bridge makes as much sense as:
  • 1. Having the battleships in the Battle of Midway firing upon one another.
    2. Having Gettysburg without Pickett's Charge.
    3. Having Agincourt without long bows.
    4. Having D-Day with gundam wandering upon the beaches with some little shit named Shinji, with severe Your Mom Issues refusing to take part.
    5. Wibble.
P.P.S. FREEEEEEDOOOOM!!!11!KHANNNNNNN!

robinson

Post by robinson »

Let’s do Star Wars next
robinson

Post by robinson »

The historic Wallace is credited with coming up with long lances and a circular shield wall formation to neutralize the Calvary

The English were surprised and suffered terrible losses because of it
robinson

Post by robinson »

But not a second time
gnome

Post by gnome »

robinson wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:22 pm The historic Wallace is credited with coming up with long lances and a circular shield wall formation to neutralize the Calvary

The English were surprised and suffered terrible losses because of it
That I would have enjoyed seeing in the movie.
--Soldier, TF2
gnome

Post by gnome »

robinson wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:19 pm Let’s do Star Wars next
Don't even get me started--claims to be a story from a long time ago, ZERO historical accuracy. None of that happened.
--Soldier, TF2
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

It went to Hell when Kurosawa died.

He screws up one, unfortunately. Lucas stole Mifune's ride after two enemy samurai down a path lined by trees by having the Fag Han Solo chase storm troopers down a corridor in the Death Star. Mifune ends up in the camp which is where the spear duel happens. The Fag Han Solo just runs away.

Misa Uehara was a far better princess.

In the rain.

– J.D.