What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:19 pm

gnome wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:46 am
Hulu definitely has its uses for me. The Orville, Letterkenny, HIMYM reruns. It's also my platform for Showtime, as well as HBO since my stupid "smart" TV doesn't have an app for HBO Now. It's this weird thing where you only get the apps they want to put on, and for anything else you "stream" it from your mobile device. Works alright, but it's annoying not to just be able to put an app for it. If it gets too annoying I might just get a Roku or something.
That's why I got my Roku. My "smart tv" is very stupid. It's a Samsung. The app selection is not good, they are very slow to load, and it constantly updates itself, which locks up the tv. I disconnected from the internet and use Roku exclusively. It was a $50 solution worth $hundreds in ease of frustration-free usage.

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:49 pm

Same experience as Rob with a Samsung smart TV. I suspect there are technological conflicts between our service provider and the TV. We already had an external Roku system before getting the new TV. Finally gave up an continued using the external system.
Such potential!

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:30 pm

Bruce wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:49 pm
Same experience as Rob with a Samsung smart TV. I suspect there are technological conflicts between our service provider and the TV.
It wasn't 'your' ISP. Samsung was routing all requests (and in some cases all content) through their own servers. They 'smartly knew' that doing it that way gave them huge access to "your" viewing pleasures, with the accompanying huge value that represented to third parties. But they did it on such a cheap that it prevented functionality; their servers would occasionally slow down, go intermittent, or shut down altogether, thus preventing all, most, or even any functionality. It was infuriating.

So the conflict was really Samsung's exceptionally under-powered 'smart-tv' processor (I expect they're using something just short of a 1980's Intel 8088) combined with horrible systems programming (I expect they're using imported North Korean Slave Labor from a failed farming co-operative).

I wish you wished I would provide links as proof because I'm too lazy to do that and I love denying anyone anything.

But we can agree, even without links, that it.is.just.bad.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:35 am

The Dark Crystal TV series.....would be so much better if they made the whole thing CGI. I know they want to honor Jim Henson's memory and create jobs for child molesters and serial killers, but damn, somehow these puppets are even creepier than the original.

I like the prequel expansion of the storyline, which takes place ages after the Skeksies take over, but just before they figure out how to use the Crystal to extract essence and slaughter all the Gelflings. Looks as if the series will end when all 3 nations of Gelflings are dead and the Crystal becomes cracked. So, on top of the nightmare fuel of the puppets themselves, we get to watch a mass genocide. Yay.

The only part that doesn't seem to fit the original story is Ogra. Seems she is a Giaia-like demigod that used to care for the Crystal and the planet, and then the Skeksies arrived and tricked her into turning over control of the Crystal. Doesn't seem to fit her character, which is that of a reclusive troll that cares nothing of the affairs of the world.

No sign of the Mystics either, so that must have something to do with the Crystal becoming cracked. Should be a treat. :Popcorn:
Such potential!

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:52 am

See, that's throwing me off. I thought the crackening was what caused the mystics and the Skeksis to split up. So I'm thinking it's already missing that shard?

Oddly, made this on a whim before the show was announced. It was basically a naming and matching exercise.

"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Fuck. I just discovered Matlock and I like it.

Double fuck.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:44 am

Ha! You're old. :D
Such potential!

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:52 am

gnome wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:52 am
See, that's throwing me off. I thought the crackening was what caused the mystics and the Skeksis to split up. So I'm thinking it's already missing that shard?
As it turns out, you are correct. There are a number a things that don't seem to make sense in the way on continuity though. Why did Ogre trust the Skekies and leave them in charge of the Crystal? It was clear toward the end of the series that she knew about the crackening, knew the relationship between the Skeksies and mystics, knew that the Skeksies were the dark half, knew the Crystal was corrupted, and knew a shard was missing.......and yet she seems truly surprised by everything that happened over the past 100 trine. WTF, Augre??
Such potential!

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:59 am

BTW, I loved the puppet show, for puppets, performed by puppet, within a puppet show. Puppet show inception. Would only have been topped if those puppets were putting on a puppet show. 8)
Such potential!