Fritz Lang, genius

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
whitefork
Title: Nearly Normal
Location: I live in Trafalgar Square with four lions to guard me.

Fritz Lang, genius

Post by whitefork »

If you're unfamiliar with Lang's work outside of Metropolis or M, you should check out the Doctor Mabuse films, Ministry of Fear, The Big Heat.... I'm trying to find a copy of Siegfried. The early silents are very good examples of German Impressionism. Was F.W. Murnau (Nosferatu) better?

Rancho Notorious is a bit of a curiousity, what with the presence of Marlene Dietrich and George Reeves (that instantly recognizable voice...)

Any other Lang fans out there?
If it's good enough for Nelson, it's quite good enough for me.

Broodingskill

Post by Broodingskill »

Well I want to be one, does that count?

I want to buy a copy of Metropolis, but there are so many versions of it that are of various lengths and quality, I'll probably get the DVD version with the most bells and whistles.

I have a list of Silent films I want to get

The Cabinet of Dr Calgari
Metropolis
Phantom of the opera
The Golem
for starters...

I only own Nosferatu.

My biggest reason for seeing Metropolis is the design elements of the film, I love Art Deco era design.

SquishyDave

Post by SquishyDave »

Silent films? I know those words, but put together in that order I can't seem to make sense of them.

It seems to imply that there would be a film, but with no digital surround sound, but that couldn't be. Could it? :shock:

NAH! :)

Errr I better say something on topic so I won't get in trouble.......I'm not a fan, nor do I want to be, but I would not be adverse to seeing some of this stuff, just to see where the wonderful pastime I enjoy so much began.
Squishy doesn't irritate the hell out of me. - [url=http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10266]Quester_X[/url]
We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me.

whitefork
Title: Nearly Normal
Location: I live in Trafalgar Square with four lions to guard me.

Post by whitefork »

Broodingskill, can you subscribe to Netflix? They have a pretty impressive catalog.
If it's good enough for Nelson, it's quite good enough for me.

Broodingskill

Post by Broodingskill »

Broodingskill, can you subscribe to Netflix? They have a pretty impressive catalog.
I don't know, I'll give it a try though.

edited: Aw I see now, I've heard of this, but I can't afford the monthly fee.
plus I'd like to own them, anyway. Thanx

The Central Scrutinizer

Post by The Central Scrutinizer »

I would highly recommend a biography about him - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books

The Nature of the Beast. But it looks like it is out of print.

rgann

Post by rgann »

I recently finished reading Nature of the Beast by Patrick McGilligan. What an interesting character, I have loved his work for a long time but the bio really gives a ton of insight into what shaped him and just how enigmatic he was. The book reads like a textbook at times but absolutely worth the effort for Lang Admirers.

BroodingSkill here are few russians to add to your list

BattleShip Potemkin Sergei M. Eisenstein
October (Oktyabr) Sergei M. Eisenstein
Mother (Mat) Vsevolod Pudovkin

Rick

Chupacabras

Post by Chupacabras »

rgann wrote:BroodingSkill here are few russians to add to your list
Just a quick note to point out that some critics put Eisenstein as "propaganda" rather than "impresionism", as he was sponsored by the government. Another interesting , if radically different from Potemkin, is "Alexander Nevsky".
... Its full of stars!

Broodingskill

Post by Broodingskill »

Thanks rgann, I just discovered Metropolis at my local video store so I might have a look at it this weekend.

On another note, I'm also interested in the silent versions of Wagners ring cycle, which I thought were done by Lang. If they weren't does anybody know who did do them?

rgann

Post by rgann »

I certainly agree that the material is considered propaganda, but hey as propaganda goes, why not see something as well crafted as Eisenstien. viewing it as a film fan to see the early stages of the narrative form being developed i think you can probably wade past the message. However I do think the methodology of the film is worth noting, watching him work through his theories on "Montage" is impressive.

Rick

Chupacabras

Post by Chupacabras »

rgann wrote:...However I do think the methodology of the film is worth noting...
Agreed! Just pointed because some people isn't able to see past names such as "Riefenstahl". On spite of critics, I think Eisenstein has his own, well deserved, place in cinematography.
... Its full of stars!