Open Water

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Quester_X

Open Water

Post by Quester_X »

Has anyone else seen this? I just came back from the theater, and it was just as intense as I'd heard. Even though I knew what to expect, it still manages to affect you. I definately recommend it, just know what you're in for.
You'll all be mine, in the end.

Kilted_Canuck

Post by Kilted_Canuck »

Well, we know that the SCUBA community won't be growing much this year. :roll:

Mark

Post by Mark »

A friend went to see it this weekend...from what she told me of the plot, I can't understand why this movie was ever made. Maybe there are people who just hate being in a good mood? Sounds like this one is for them...
"I'm gonna cut the soles off my shoes, sit in a tree and learn to play the flute!"

SkepticJ

Post by SkepticJ »

Mark wrote:A friend went to see it this weekend...from what she told me of the plot, I can't understand why this movie was ever made. Maybe there are people who just hate being in a good mood? Sounds like this one is for them...
That is what I thought about "Star Wars" Episode 2.
Oh, you people can kiss the fattest part of my ass!-Peter Griffin
I'm not an atheist. How can you not believe in something that doesn't exist? That's way too convoluted for me.- A. Whitney Brown

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

A friend went to see it this weekend...from what she told me of the plot, I can't understand why this movie was ever made. Maybe there are people who just hate being in a good mood? Sounds like this one is for them...
I think the point of this movie is a tribute to all the people who have died in similar ways. Of course, the primary reason this movie was made:

$$$$
You'll all be mine, in the end.

OckhamRules

Post by OckhamRules »

Quester_X wrote:
I think the point of this movie is a tribute to all the people who have died in similar ways. Of course, the primary reason this movie was made:

$$$$
Oh, I don't know. Was $$$$ the primary reason for "Psycho"? For "The Blair Witch Project"?

I saw the husband and wife team who made "Open Water" interviewed. They produced it themselves for $300,000. They did the script, direction and cinematography themselves, based on a true story that interested them.

They didn't have a studio backing them--they were "nobodies". They entered "Open Water" at Sundance--knowing full well that most films shown there--even those winning prizes (as this did)--never reach a movie theater--and never make a dime.

Kentis and Lau were able to take a story that interested them and successfully make a movie about it, basically, on their own. That's pretty impressive, but they had no guarantees of $$$ from it. Luckily for them, In the process, they made a great calling card for themselves, found a distributor, and got taken seriously in a tough business. Quite ambitious--and very risky, too. :)

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

OckhamRules wrote:
Quester_X wrote:

$$$$
Oh, I don't know. Was $$$$ the primary reason for "Psycho"? For "The Blair Witch Project"?

I saw the husband and wife team who made "Open Water" interviewed. They produced it themselves for $300,000. They did the script, direction and cinematography themselves, based on a true story that interested them.

They didn't have a studio backing them--they were "nobodies". They entered "Open Water" at Sundance--knowing full well that most films shown there--even those winning prizes (as this did)--never reach a movie theater--and never make a dime.

Kentis and Lau were able to take a story that interested them and successfully make a movie about it, basically, on their own. That's pretty impressive, but they had no guarantees of $$$ from it. Luckily for them, In the process, they made a great calling card for themselves, found a distributor, and got taken seriously in a tough business. Quite ambitious--and very risky, too. :)
I would have to say that yes, Blair Witch Project was made for $$$$. One just has to look at the crap they let the studio do with their theme for evidence.

Bottle or the Gun

Post by Bottle or the Gun »

How's it end? Does it have him in a hospital clutching his wife's heart? If so, it's ripped off from a fiction story from the late 70's.
Tell the story about how God lost his breakfast cereal. Oh wait, that was the Trix rabbit. I get them confused because they are both made up - American Dad

OckhamRules

Post by OckhamRules »

Bottle or the Gun wrote:How's it end? Does it have him in a hospital clutching his wife's heart? If so, it's ripped off from a fiction story from the late 70's.
No.

As for Blair Witch, the guys made it because they love horror movies and wanted to challenge themselves to see if they could make a really scary one.

I do agree with you, Grammatron, that once offered it, the money talked. But any film student who would be making their low budget movie "for the money" is nuts.