Film noir

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
SquishyDave

Post by SquishyDave »

Back on topic, the PC game Grim Fandago I've been told is noir. The great thing about it is one person can steer the game but you both have to put your heads together to come up the solutions to the puzzles. Me and my sister used to play games like that together all the time. Good times they make for.
Squishy doesn't irritate the hell out of me. - [url=http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10266]Quester_X[/url]
We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me.

Mulebear

Post by Mulebear »

I recommend "M" and "D.O.A.".
I also recommend "The Fourth Man", but not for your daughter. It's a bit graphic.
I doubt you will find it, but if anyone gets a chance to see a short film adaption of "Miss Lonelyhearts" (American Playhouse) don't pass it up.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085944/
I [img]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/mulebear/smilies/heart_icon.jpg[/img] Sonoma Bear

Recently someone accused me of being insensitive. And I thought, how did this fat bitch get her wheelchair up the stairs to my house?

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

M is FANTASTIC!!! Not only good noir but a horrifying--emotionally--film with wicked satire . . . even the crocks have a union.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Bottle or the Gun

Post by Bottle or the Gun »

Doctor X wrote:Laura is not film noir--it is more "film latte." I kept wanting Vincent to slaughter the helplessly bad actors.

A decent modern one is The Man Who Wasn't There.

--J.D.
The original D.O.A. is classic.
Burton's Batman
Tell the story about how God lost his breakfast cereal. Oh wait, that was the Trix rabbit. I get them confused because they are both made up - American Dad

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

EEeeeeeeee . . . I really hated Burton's Batman. Keeton was horribly miscast and, sorry, Jack was not the Joker though he was entertaining.

Sure, it had inadequate lighting, but that does not make it noir.

It also perverted the story.

Did I mention I hated it?

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Bottle or the Gun

"Take off your pants and get in the box of reptiles&quo

Keaton put a scare in everyone when cast because he was a comedic actor, but he proved he could do drama as he did 'Clean and Sober' before Bats, a studio investment to prime the public so they weren't blowing the budget on Batman. Yes they perverted the story, but its the Hollywood marketable version of the comic. Ya see, Hollywood doesn't believe the paying public will EVER understand why a good guy will want to stop a bad guy, unless the evil dude made it personal. It's a lazy cliche that substitutes writing and plot for expediency. (That popular contempt for the intelligence of the public was also applied by Bush citing it as one of the reasons to go after Saddam: He tried to kill my Pa!)

"Luke, I am your father" Reteurn of the Jedi
"You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?" Batman
"You made me" Batman
"You killed my family" Punisher (both sucky versions)
"You made me" Flash televivsion series

It was still better than Superman 4.

And back on topic: http://www.classicnoir.com/ (Check out the Random Film Noir Generator)
Tell the story about how God lost his breakfast cereal. Oh wait, that was the Trix rabbit. I get them confused because they are both made up - American Dad

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Well . . . just about anything was better than Superman III. . . .

--J.D.

Bottle or the Gun

God, did that film suck

Doctor X wrote:Well . . . just about anything was better than Superman III. . . .

--J.D.
Yeah, Supes being presented a gift of artificial Kryptonite stuck to stained butcher paper at a public gathering. (Thanks for saving the city Superman! As a token of our esteem, here's a piece of garbage I found behind the industrial park.)

Richard Pryor surviving a drop of 50 stories. (?)

Richard Pryor being cast. Character was portrayed as so clueless he didn't even know how he had programmed a computer for the impossible task of flickering numbers on a screen. (Black guy made non-threatening?)

How does anyone read that script and think it was a good idea? Didn't anyone while filming say: Wait, this is freaking stupid?

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

A week or so ago, we went to MediaPlay and bought several movies on sale - VHS tapes were $3 each and DVDs $5 each. Bought Casablanca, and my daughter really liked it. Now she's itching for more detective type noir. I'm trying to make the time to get the Maltese Falcon in particular, and some of the other PI noirs mentioned in this thread.

(Also bought Joe Don Baker's Walking Tall, but that's another thread.)
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Indeed, Superman III was so heinous--love how Richard Pryor creates an excuse out of thin air to climb on a ski slide that empties off of a building?!!--I thought that would end the possibility of a SP IV . . .

. . . but NO!!

--J.D.

The Central Scrutinizer

Post by The Central Scrutinizer »

Suprisingly, no one has mentioned "M".

Edited to add: DOH!!!! I only read the first page. Now I see the 2 mentions on this page. Arguably the start of the genre.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hey, I remember reading in an old book on films I used to have about a movie called M. Would that be film noir?
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory

a_unique_person

Post by a_unique_person »

I love the old black and white ones, (well, the good ones), there are good, more modern noirs too.

(Something that amazed me was one famous noir. IIRC, The Big Sleep. There is one death in it when a car runs off a pier and the driver drowns, but the event is never explained in the film, although it is explained in the book. Apparently, the people making the film didn't understand the plot point, but just put it in anyway. )

Night Moves. Classic noir elements. Murder, downbeat ending, plot twists.

Some excellent Australian ones, (and bad ones, but give them a miss).

Bryan Brown in

Palm Beach. Good, low budget.
The Empty Beach.
The Money Movers.

The Cohen brothers, "Blood Simple" and "Millers Crossing".

The Central Scrutinizer

Post by The Central Scrutinizer »

Nigel wrote:Hey, I remember reading in an old book on films I used to have about a movie called M. Would that be film noir?
In my opinion, yes. Although aspects of it would be German Expressionism.

Don't I sound smart? :D

Edited to add: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ance&s=dvd

whitefork
Title: Nearly Normal
Location: I live in Trafalgar Square with four lions to guard me.

Post by whitefork »

Body Heat is very good. William Hurt and Kathleen Turner. Juicy as all hell.
If it's good enough for Nelson, it's quite good enough for me.