Just saw "Misery"

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Sentzeu

Just saw "Misery"

Post by Sentzeu »

I am a Stephen King fan and as such I must say that I’m most impressed with the conversion of one his great novels: "Misery".

That movie was, just as the book was, one long thrilling psychological cliff-hanger. It was terrifying from the moment the psycho nurse from hell ties him to the bed, and Í almost couldn't watch as she treated him with the "hobbling".

Definitely one of the best Stephen King books to film, ever!

Don't know if I’ll be able to sleep tonight.

Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

Been a while, but I remember liking it. It's been a long time since I liked any of the King adaptations, though.
"Skeptics," he said, "suffer from the skeptics' disease-- the problem of being right too often."
- Scott Adams, "God's Debris: A Thought Experiment"

jkorosi

Post by jkorosi »

Adaptations tend not to be so good. If they are good, then they stray a bit from the novel they are based on, and this in some peoples' eyes makes them bad.

My favorite example is The Shining, which as a horror movie totally rocked. Although clearly based on the novel, it was very different in some parts. A TV miniseries was made in the 90s, which was much, much more faithful to the novel, but was also (in my opinion) wishy-washy and not the least bit scary.

ratbag

Post by ratbag »

I use to like Stephen King. Since. But, probably since 'the Dark Half', I find his novels too 'wordy' and with too little action between.
I enjoyed the film adaption of 'Misery' and 'Needful things', too
Rat

gnome

Post by gnome »

I remember "Misery" as being the first Stephen King movie I really liked. It may have helped that I was sitting next to a girl I'd had a long distance crush on and was meeting again after years. :)

Since then I've developed an appreciation for "The Shining" as a Kubrick fan...

Dragonrock

Post by Dragonrock »

I've noticed that the more magic that a Steven ing novel has, the more it sucks when they make a movie out of it. Misery was great, Dolores Claiborne was good. Carrie and The Green Mile were okay. But Firestarter, The Stand, and It were just awful.

I heard the was talk of making Gerald's Game into a movie but I'm not sure that making it true to the novel would earn it anything other than an NC-17 rating.
...it rings a bell in my head that just don't chime...--pillory

There is no God but the GTITS and Elvis is the Taco prophet.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Dragonrock wrote:I've noticed that the more magic that a Steven ing novel has, the more it sucks when they make a movie out of it. Misery was great, Dolores Claiborne was good. Carrie and The Green Mile were okay. But Firestarter, The Stand, and It were just awful.

I heard the was talk of making Gerald's Game into a movie but I'm not sure that making it true to the novel would earn it anything other than an NC-17 rating.
Gerald's Game was so internal I don't see how a movie could do it properly.

Bottle or the Gun

Post by Bottle or the Gun »

ratbag wrote:I use to like Stephen King. Since. But, probably since 'the Dark Half', I find his novels too 'wordy' and with too little action between.
I enjoyed the film adaption of 'Misery' and 'Needful things', too
Rat
Me no like wordy book me like tv
Tell the story about how God lost his breakfast cereal. Oh wait, that was the Trix rabbit. I get them confused because they are both made up - American Dad