What the #$*! Do We Know!?

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Hexxenhammer

What the #$*! Do We Know!?

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Anyone heard of this movie? It just opened here in Minneapolis. It's apparently a big commercial for the Ramtha cult in the guise of a science documentary like "A Brief History of Time." I like the title though.

Look at this woman's face.

Would she lie to you?
"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

Lisa Simpson

Post by Lisa Simpson »

Isn't Ramtha the person that chick "channels"? Because Ramtha is listed on IMDB as playing himself in the movie. Can a channeled dead guy get a SAG card?

hgc

Post by hgc »

I have seen commercials for this. Very perplexing. I had a suspicion it was new age stoopidity. I am still tempted.. something along the lines of a morbid fascination with, say, Battlefield Earth.

Oh wait, I didn't see Battlefield Earth.

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Well, there might be some stuff worth seeing in it. A review I read implied that some of the scientist interviews are "real", meaning the scientist is an actual scientist and is giving his opinion on the subject matter for the movie. It's very possible that those interviewed didn't know the movie would be about Ramtha or whatever.

(and Battlefield Earth might be worth watching if you do it with a couple smart-alec robots)

Denise

Post by Denise »

Is it just me, or does this woman look like Jenny Jones? http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... 8%26sa%3DN

Denise

Post by Denise »

Isn't that the woman that Linda Evans (dynasty) was following? It's been a long time but it was around that time that she was dating Yani or something like that. She's probably moved on to kaballah sp or something by now.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

The only reason I'd watch it is to turn off the sound and see how much of Matlin's ASL I can make out prima vista. But--no kidding--she has this really strong California accent which sometimes confuses my East-coast eyes!
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

DrMatt
BANNED

Re: What the #$*! Do We Know!?

Post by DrMatt »

Hexxenhammer wrote: Look at this woman's face.

Would she lie to you?
Sure looks like a confidence trickster all right--pretending to be Your Good Aunt Beverly, just like John Edwards does.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Grammatron

Re: What the #$*! Do We Know!?

Post by Grammatron »

DrMatt wrote:
Hexxenhammer wrote: Look at this woman's face.

Would she lie to you?
Sure looks like a confidence trickster all right--pretending to be Your Good Aunt Beverly, just like John Edwards does.
Hey, he does look like my Aunt Beverly! Creepy...

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Holy shit! I thought JZ Knight was dead! At least, her career was dead.....I guess charlatans are like Disney movies. They go away for awhile, only to come back later for the next generation.
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

The interesting thing is that I read a little blurb about it in Time magazine and it gushed over the movies explanations of science while not at all mentioning the Ramtha connection. I haven't seen the film and I knew nothing of the Ramtha bit until now.

Hmmm, could someone at Time be a bit new agey?

Denise

Post by Denise »

You can buy some awesome scientific books on her site. http://www.ramtha.com/cgi-bin/shopper.e ... Books.html

Here's a good one...
BK7002
The Hidden Messages in Water
Masaru Emoto
In The Hidden Messages in Water readers are introduced to the revolutionary work of Dr. Masaru Emoto, who discovered that molecules of water are affected by thoughts, words and feelings. Dr. Emoto shares his realizations from his years of research and explains the profound implications on the healing of water, mankind and earth. He offers proof that water is alive and responsive to our every emotion.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Seed supports his head over the privy. . .

. . . sad waste of a sumptuous meal and an excellent Port. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

[Poof!--Ed.]
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Adagio

Post by Adagio »

My girlfriend and I saw an advanced screening of this movie. We knew nothing about the film, but we heard that it was an interesting documentary on quantum physics.

It was a series of interviews with various new age gurus posing as scientists, mixed in with dramatic scenes where an actress whose life is in the toilet acts out many of the concepts the new agers are discussing. It had a ton of cgi effects, a little too much for my taste.

It started with a talk about quantum physics. I don't know much about quantum physics, but I do know that many of the concepts they talked about are on the fringe of quantum physics thought, and in some cases misleading or simply wrong. Some basic concepts - ones that we all learned in grade school - were dredged up and somehow used to show some new profound realization. Even worse, they would not expand upon many concepts, or link them to any conclusion, making the movie hard to follow.

Then they brought up new-age concepts, like Emoto's messages in water. His rigorous scientific study involved talking to water using various tones of voice and emotion, and then photographing the water through a microscope. Water with positive emotions would show beautiful snowflake-esque crystals, and water with negative emotions had grotesque macabre crystals. This was used later to prove some new age concept, but I don't remember what as I wasn't paying attention by that point.

They referenced a study that involved a group of people from all over the world who converged on Washington DC and held group meditations. During these meditations the crime rate dropped 25%. By this point I was ready to leave, and had I known my girlfriend - who doesn't consider herself a skeptic - felt the same, and if we weren't so darn polite, we would have.

The rest was a blur of pseudo-scientific thought and bs conclusions, some of which insulted our intelligence, and some of which were just plain wrong. I am convinced that the only reason the quantum physics talk took place at all was to give some sort of scientific credentials to the film.

I found it a boring film with few redeeming qualities. The one good point is that they chose a deaf actress for the lead, which was different and neat to see. The best part was when my girlfriend, infuriated at some arcane nonsense, said 'that's just plain wrong!', accidentally loud enough for everyone around us to hear. I couldn't help but laugh. :)

Basically, if you are a new-ager you will probably find the movie quite profound even if you don't understand it. As a skeptic you will laugh, then cry, then simply die of boredom. If you are a quantum physicist, I imagine you will go nuts and take half the theatre out.
Last edited by Adagio on Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adagio

Post by Adagio »

And for what it is worth, I searched for Emoto on Randi's site, and Randi talks about him here:

http://www.randi.org/jr/052303.html

The pictures of the crystals in the commentary are the same pictures used in the movie, though the idea that the crystals are really spirits was never mentioned.

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Hey, welcome to the board. Thanks for the rundown.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

JZ Knight still doing that Ramtha schtick? My mother-in-law spend a couple grand on one of those Ramtha shindigs. She even received an actual comment from "Ramtha". Try this on for size for $2000 worth of spiritual enlightenment:

Ramtha: "I like the gray in your hair."

Profound, baby, profound...
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Lisa Simpson

Post by Lisa Simpson »

A woman in my Pilates class saw the movie last night and loved it so much she is going back tonight. She believed the scientists to be real (I don't know their names or credentials). The thing that astounded me the most from her description was the idea that when Columbus landed in the West Indies, the natives didn't see the Nina, Pinta or Santa Maria, because they had never seen ships before, therefore, the ships didn't exist to them. I don't get it. Perhaps my mind isn't expanded enough.

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Lisa Simpson wrote: The thing that astounded me the most from her description was the idea that when Columbus landed in the West Indies, the natives didn't see the Nina, Pinta or Santa Maria, because they had never seen ships before, therefore, the ships didn't exist to them. I don't get it. Perhaps my mind isn't expanded enough.
You should've punched her in the face and when she cried said, "I guess someone's punched your dumb-ass before or you wouldn't've felt that."