HERO: See it . . . NOW!!!!

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

HERO: See it . . . NOW!!!!

Post by Doctor X »

Or else.

You do not want to "disappoint" Snow, you know:

Hero

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

lofgeornost

Post by lofgeornost »

I like Maggie. I'll go see it at some point.

Stimpson J. Cat

Post by Stimpson J. Cat »

I saw it. Overall a pretty good movie. The silly super flying kung-fu nonsense kind of ruined the martial arts aspect of it for me. It's really a shame to waste Jet Lee's talent like that. Unlike Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, which I hated, there was at least more to this movie than having people fly around swing ridiculously floppy weapons at each other.

Dr. Stupid
A poke in the eye makes Baby Jesus cry.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I must agree I dislike "flying wire" Kung Fu--which is why I did not bother with CTHD.

This, does have more than that, and since--not to give anything away--much of the film is "imagined"--the "mythic qualities" sort of fit.

Unfortunately, such has become part and parcel of Kung Fu movies. The director/cineamatorgrapher/best boys went to the extreme to present a visually engaging film--from dominant colors changing, to small details.

It is also a fable and has that quality. One always has to have a willing suspension of disbelief. When you see the fighters hacking through an army, I quiped to my friend, "Hey?! Who the fuck issued us with the STYROFOAM armor?!!!"

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

Is there a rule that all Chinese martial arts films need to have a character named snow?
"Skeptics," he said, "suffer from the skeptics' disease-- the problem of being right too often."
- Scott Adams, "God's Debris: A Thought Experiment"

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

No . . . but there MUST be an old guy with long eyebrows. . . .

--J.D.

Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

"Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men!"

-- Rule One (Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time)
"Skeptics," he said, "suffer from the skeptics' disease-- the problem of being right too often."
- Scott Adams, "God's Debris: A Thought Experiment"

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

This movie sucked and I liked CTHD. This one was horribly slow.

I did like the forest scene though, very beautiful.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Granted, I should have noted that members of the Great Unwashed may fail to appreciate fine work and instead follow the "wire-fu" crapolla the masses consume without question. . . .

--J.D.

Guy Noir

Post by Guy Noir »

Saw it a week ago.

Loved the visuals. Good chance of a cinematography Oscar for this film.

I spent too much time watching the sub titles and not the acting.

Wire fighting sucks. Really brought the rest of t he movie down for me. They did not need to do that.

I also thought Moon was hot……

Historical nit picking: The palace looks much like the Forbidden City. The capitol of the Qin was in Xian. The Forbidden City was built in Beijing much later.

I have heard some people arguing that the movie is pro-government for China. It is a bit nationalistic. Not sure I would call it propaganda.
[Insert pointless political statement here.]

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

For the record, I enjoyed both the wire-fu and the visuals, colors, etc. Without the wire-fu how would you know they were uber-badasses? A real martial artist can't deflect hundreds of arrows or defeat 3000 soldiers singlehandedly. It establishes the scale. ie, these are important people doing big things.
"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Guy Noir wrote:Saw it a week ago.

Loved the visuals. Good chance of a cinematography Oscar for this film.

I spent too much time watching the sub titles and not the acting.

Wire fighting sucks. Really brought the rest of t he movie down for me. They did not need to do that.

I also thought Moon was hot……

Historical nit picking: The palace looks much like the Forbidden City. The capitol of the Qin was in Xian. The Forbidden City was built in Beijing much later.

I have heard some people arguing that the movie is pro-government for China. It is a bit nationalistic. Not sure I would call it propaganda.
Any Oscar for Hero this year is, I think, precluded by the fact that it has already been in contention for one. It was up for best foreign language film in 2002. Maybe the US release will somehow qualify it to be nominated again, in other categories, but I don't think so.

I liked the movie too. I can take or leave the wire fighting (after all, I have also enjoyed movies with Ringwraiths, wizardry academies and Jedi, so obviously, realism is not a prime consideration in my choice of movies), it's okay when it's done well and it fits the story. I thought it fit the story in this one so I didn't mind it

gnome

Post by gnome »

I watched it on DVD when a friend bought it imported... I really enjoyed it... especially the ending.

The same week, I saw Shaolin Soccer... another good one, though not at all serious.

Stimpson J. Cat

Post by Stimpson J. Cat »

Hexxen,
For the record, I enjoyed both the wire-fu and the visuals, colors, etc. Without the wire-fu how would you know they were uber-badasses? A real martial artist can't deflect hundreds of arrows or defeat 3000 soldiers singlehandedly. It establishes the scale. ie, these are important people doing big things.
That's just the point. Real martial artists can't do any of that nonsense. And since none of it was necessary for the story, it just ruins the suspension of disbelief.

Dr. Stupid
A poke in the eye makes Baby Jesus cry.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Stimpson J. Cat wrote:
That's just the point. Real martial artists can't do any of that nonsense. And since none of it was necessary for the story, it just ruins the suspension of disbelief.

Dr. Stupid
But in myths and legends, they can. Real life fencers would probably get skewered if jumped by a dozen men, but that doesn't stop a movie like "The Three Musketeers" from having them fight off hordes of baddies. It is fiction, not history. I don't think this movie was pretending to be history, so, at least in my case, it ruined nothing.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

SPOILER WARNING ON:

Right, I do not mind a little of Wire-Fu . . . it is when it is over done, it gets stupid--like pointing a sword and taking off like Superman.

There was less of it in these films, EXCEPT . . . and here is the spoilers . . . the fights are all imaginary. The wonderful Bimbo-Fu--steal a line from Joe Bob Briggs!--in red is a fantasy . . . part of a tale Jet Li tells the King. The King is imagining the fights.

When he "catches" Li in a lie and Li tries again--and tells the story of his fight with Broken Sword this, too, is a fantasy--so you have ridiculous but fun stunts like bouncing off of the water.

The only "real fights" are between Snow and Broken Sword near the end which lack a lot of the Wire Fu stuff. The last actual fight between Snow and Li--where he "kills her" is less dramatic--presummably the King heard about it.

Similar, while a visual masterpiece, the fight between Li and Sky is also a bit more realistic. It is "monochromatic" and a bit stylized, however, it happened in front of witnesses who, persummably, told the King about it. So the King listens to Li knowing what he knows. Some Wire Fu, but not to the extent of other sequences.

Snow and Broken Sword's attack on the Castle--the "Hey, who passed out the styrofoam sheilds and armor?!!!" fight--is also in Li's imagination--he is listening to the King's story.

However, of course, indeed there has to be some "Wire Fu" because the whole story IS a fable . . . a legend . . . for only in them do you have great heros who can change history with simple actions . . . like deciding to give one's life for an ideal.

Now . . . does Sky run off with Moon in the end?

Spoiler Alert OFF

Shaolin Kungfu is FANTASTIC--you have to love a "bad" soccer team that goes by the name, "Team Evil!" It is a wonderful send-up of Kungfu--such as the girl making bread ala Wing Chung making bean curd--with the flying pots blowing her hair.

It laughs at the Wire Fu and basic plot lines--like the guy with the Kung Fu Iron Leg getting hit on the head and the guy with the Kung Fu Iron Head getting hit on the leg and complaining--"No, wait, HE is the one with the Iron Head!! OW!!!"

Kungfu Singing to California Dreaming is priceless.

However, along with this is a good, and funny story. I enjoyed Kung Pow--"Master Pain, it is a great honor having you beating random people in our town." --but most critics disagree--some violently!! I personally think Oedekerk got just a little too close to the guilty pleasure that is Chopsocki films.

Nevertheless, you have to know Chopsocki to get the jokes in KungPow--like poor editing, poor dubbing--the dog never barks in synch--emoting, blah . . . blah. . . .

With Shaolin Soccer you really do not need this. It does not take much to appreciate the "divided brothers" story, the "revenge story," the beautiful girl who thinks she is ugly" story that pervades the "best" of Chopsocki! However, if you know the cliches, the film is even more fun.

See it. NOW!!

--J. "Shaolin KungFu's Greeeaaaat!" D.