Just Saw "Angry Red Planet"

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Nyarlathotep

Just Saw "Angry Red Planet"

Post by Nyarlathotep »

They don't make movies like THAT anymore

I especially liked the scenes where they walked out in front of the badly drawn matte paintings and the movie makers didn't even bother to hide the bottom of the painiting.

The Bat/Rat/Spider/Crab that looked kinda like those Quiznos beasties was another high point of the film. As was the drawing of the three eyed alien that someone pasted against the porthole of the rocketship causing the female lead (supposedly an exo-biologist who STUDIES alien beasties) to swoon in terror, only to be saved from hitting the floor by the lantern jawed hero.

Movies today are all about the special effects, they just can't hold a candle to such classics :wink:

shecky

Post by shecky »

I haven't seen that since i was a kid. I seem to recall a large blobish alien with a spinning eye, and the giant spider/rat/bat creature being kinda mistaken for a tree initially. I think that might have been one of the more creative movie monsters of the era. I wonder if they went through a taxidermist's old junkbox to come up with that one.

I think I like the alien from "It Conquered The World" a bit better. A large, vegetable-like body with a demonic grimace, shitting these little bat-like critters that bite people and control them.

I love those old movies. One of my favorites is "Earth Vs The Flying Saucers", just for the matter-of-factness and stop motion flying saucer action.

You're right. They really don't make them like that no more. The swooning female scientist with pointy boobs is a recurring character in these flicks.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

shecky wrote:I haven't seen that since i was a kid. I seem to recall a large blobish alien with a spinning eye, and the giant spider/rat/bat creature being kinda mistaken for a tree initially. I think that might have been one of the more creative movie monsters of the era. I wonder if they went through a taxidermist's old junkbox to come up with that one.

I think I like the alien from "It Conquered The World" a bit better. A large, vegetable-like body with a demonic grimace, shitting these little bat-like critters that bite people and control them.

I love those old movies. One of my favorites is "Earth Vs The Flying Saucers", just for the matter-of-factness and stop motion flying saucer action.

You're right. They really don't make them like that no more. The swooning female scientist with pointy boobs is a recurring character in these flicks.
I love those old movies too, though mostly for their "MST-ing" potential.

They are corny, but he cornyness makes them weirdly entertaining.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

I loved that film as a kid--the giant ameoba!!

You begin to wonder at what point the idiots would figure out they needed to leave.

Check out Amazon Women on the Moon for a wonderful "send up" of such films.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Doctor X wrote:I loved that film as a kid--the giant ameoba!!

You begin to wonder at what point the idiots would figure out they needed to leave.

Check out Amazon Women on the Moon for a wonderful "send up" of such films.

--J.D.
Amazon Women on the Moon was funny, but not quite as good as Kentucky Fried Movie, which featured the best send up of kung fu movies ever and this exchange, where the hero is touring the vilians secret prison facility:

"Who are these guys?"

"They are poor drunken men, who do not where they are and do not care"

"What about these ones?"

"These are poor drunken men who do not know where they are, but DO care"

"And over here?"

"Poor men who know where they are, and care, but do not drink. Would YOU like a drink?"

"sure"

"What will you have?"

"I don't care"

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

HA!

I was told by some Korean students that during the fighting sequences in Fist Full of Yen--a movie of extraordinary magnitude--the "Chinese" fighters are speaking Korean and saying things like, "So, after we get off, you want to get a beer?"

I have no way to confirm that, of course!

Still, with AWotM you have:

"We come from Earth!"

"Oh, that is what you call that puny insignificant rock we orbit!"

"You wouldn't say that if you saw Jane Russell!"

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image