Shawn of the Dead

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Nyarlathotep

Shawn of the Dead

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Well, this weekend I braved the wilds of Reno to find the ONE friggin' theater in my neck of the woods where they were showing Shawn of the Dead.

And it was worth it. It was one of the best movies I have seent his year. I thought the best scenes, though, were early on, where Shawn was kind of oblivious to what was going on. Somehow, having all this mayhem happening and this one guy just carrying on like normal was hialrious to me.

I have to wonder, though, why it got such a limited US release. It was better than most of the crap that came out during the summer (and, mind you, I am no movie snob. I don't mind big budget summer films, just they all sucked this year) but, for example, I oculd only find it playing in the one theater in Reno that shows smaller 'indy' films. It wasn't playing in anywhere else within 50 miles of me. Did it do well at the box office in the UK?

roger

Post by roger »

It was pretty funny. There were only 3 other people in the theater when I saw it, and I think it was really a movie that can be helped by the crowds reaction.

It kind of lost it in the scene where everybody is holding broken glass bottles on each other's throats (vague description to avoid spoiler). It was suddenly serious, and had a point, which was unnecessary, IMO. But, no biggie.

Hey, it was a romantic comedy with zombies! What more could you want?

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

I loved it too. It's gonna be a sleeper hit. It made the top ten and was only playing in like 600 theaters.
"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

roger wrote:It was pretty funny. There were only 3 other people in the theater when I saw it, and I think it was really a movie that can be helped by the crowds reaction.

It kind of lost it in the scene where everybody is holding broken glass bottles on each other's throats (vague description to avoid spoiler). It was suddenly serious, and had a point, which was unnecessary, IMO. But, no biggie.

Resevoir Dogs parody.

It's a rom-zom-com!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

roger wrote:It was pretty funny. There were only 3 other people in the theater when I saw it, and I think it was really a movie that can be helped by the crowds reaction.

You know, the fact that thre were points where it was serious was a point in its favor, in my opinion. It had a lot of funny moments but it was still a horror film. I liked that.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Hexxenhammer wrote:I loved it too. It's gonna be a sleeper hit. It made the top ten and was only playing in like 600 theaters.
I think it'll be a sleeper hit too. I know I plan on getting the DVD when it comes out.

roger

Post by roger »

Hexxenhammer wrote: Resevoir Dogs parody.
Oh, I didn't pick up on that at all. cool!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

roger wrote:
I picked up on it.

Of course, Resevoir Dogs is one of my all time favorite movies :D

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

scarlet_35 wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
roger wrote:
I picked up on it.

Of course, Resevoir Dogs is one of my all time favorite movies :D
I have that movie, most people I talk to about it, think its really sick and I'm weird for liking it :roll: I like Quintins movies though, he's different and thats good but kill bill? What did you think of that movie? It was ok but......come on now, like she could really kill all those guys and still be standing and ready to fight again? somewhat unbelievable is ok but that was a bit over the top. I of course will see Kill Bill 2 eventually, I just gots to know what she does to him :D
I liked Kill Bill. I will agree that it isn't the most realistic movie in the world (she brings a katana onto a plane, for crying out loud, even pre 9/11 I don't think that was goign to happen) but a lot of its lack of realism is due to the fact that it is an homage to so many different movie styels. In the scene you are talking about, it is very typical in Samurai swordsman movies for the hero to fight 15 bajillion bad guys, blood spurting everywhere, and the hero still be standing afterward for a showdown with the final villian. So Tarentino mad ehis film follow the same plot devices.

As for Kill Bill 2, I thought it was better than 1 in most ways (it was less over the top and had more of a story) but, without giving too much away, I thought the final confrontation between The Bride and Bill was kind of anti-climactic. THat's just my opinion though.

JamesM

Post by JamesM »

Given that it was rammed with British comedy types (Shaun of the Dead, not Kill Bill) it was hard not to see it as a very long episode of Spaced. It was ok, it wasn't as good as the Dawn of the Dead remake. The serious bits were well out of place and should have been entirely excised.

I believe Simon Pegg and Les Edgar sent a copy to George Romero, and he liked it. Probably because the zombies didn't run.
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"

ratbag

Post by ratbag »

JamesM wrote: I believe Simon Pegg and Les Edgar sent a copy to George Romero, and he liked it. Probably because the zombies didn't run.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0670408/ Look at number 2
Rat

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

JamesM wrote:Given that it was rammed with British comedy types (Shaun of the Dead, not Kill Bill) it was hard not to see it as a very long episode of Spaced. It was ok, it wasn't as good as the Dawn of the Dead remake. The serious bits were well out of place and should have been entirely excised.

I believe Simon Pegg and Les Edgar sent a copy to George Romero, and he liked it. Probably because the zombies didn't run.
I'm glad I haven't seen the show then. I'd never seen those guys before. But now I'm going to check and see if "Spaced" is on BBC America.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Kill Bill I & II

Indeed. However, if the film was realistic "they would have kicked her ass!" to quote the evil martial arts friend.

I did laugh because on the plane there is another person with a katana. Perks of first class. . . .

Shawn of the Dead

I was disappointed with the juxtaposition of the Sitz im Leben implied by the synclastic referral . . . hold on . . . this next shovel-full is heavy. . . .

This is on my list of films to see.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Just because I'm a bastard...

It's actually Shaun of the Dead.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Hexxenhammer wrote:Just because I'm a bastard...

It's actually Shaun of the Dead.
Okay, you are right. The thing is I have a nephew named Shawn and that is how I am used to spelling it. It never even occurs to me that the way my nephew spells it isn't the only way...

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Doctor X wrote:
I was disappointed with the juxtaposition of the Sitz im Leben implied by the synclastic referral . . .
En Ingles, por favor :D

Cloverlief

Post by Cloverlief »

I loved Shaun of the Dead it was hilarious, but not in a silly way. The references to other zombie movies it was spoofing were understated, which is, IMO, what makes it work. "Barbara, they're coming for you, Barbara!" Very funny stuff. :D
Chani