Ringu

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Ringu

Post by Doctor X »

This is one of the best horror films or any film I have seen.

Forget the remake--a generally good idea in any case--which cuts the final, final scenes.

The infamous final scene is perhaps one of the better done bits of horror I have seen.

Okay . . . what is the story . . . for those of you fortunate enough to have avoided the remakes. . . .

Ringu is based on a novel by the "Steven King" of Japan. It changes some details--makes the primary character female. Leave that aside. The basic story is that an urban legend exists that a tape is out there that teenagers watch. Once they have watched it, a phone rings. When they answer it they are told they will die in one week.

They die.

No one knows the cause but you find them curled up in closets with horrified expressions.

A reporter investigates.

IF you have seen the remake, the "tape" is far better--more subtle and mysterious. There are little to no "shock moments" of things "scaring you." The film answers some questions yet leaves you with many others. I highly recommend it. The infamous final scene IS scary as in properly scary. One critic ranks it with the "Shower Scene" in that it is not gorey and gratuitous but it will stick with you. You WANT to see more detail . . . you cannot.

Rent it on the DVD now available, the Good Doctor Commands YOU!!

I mean . . . you really do not want to disappoint:

--J.D.

P.S. 2222nd post!
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Bottle or the Gun

Post by Bottle or the Gun »

Ignore the US version "The Ring" if at possible (why in this day the curse is passed on by a video tape is beyond me. You'd think the film-makers would have had the magic video on DVD or even internet, giving the opportunity for the curse to spread to millions as it is downloaded....but no.

Also, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT watch the first sequel 'Rasen' or the 2nd sequel Ringu 2. Terrible.

From Arrow in the Head:
"Here’s a little Ringu history lesson: "Ringu" (1998) the film was inspired by Kôji Suzuki’s book of the same name. The film "Rasen" (also released in 1998) was based on Suzuki’s book sequel for Ringu. "Rasen" flopped miserably at the box-office, but when "Ringu" became a big hit, they decided to pretend that "Rasen" was never made and in 1999, put out a new Ringu sequel. This second sequel had nothing to do with Suzuki’s book and they appropriately called it "Ringu 2". "
Tell the story about how God lost his breakfast cereal. Oh wait, that was the Trix rabbit. I get them confused because they are both made up - American Dad

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I "think" the point of a video has to do with how it was made--trying to avoid a spoiler here.

Apparently they are making remake of Ringu II. . . .

I checked out some fan sites--looking for that rather wonderful picture . . . EEEeeeee!--and one who did not like Rasen started to like it after some further viewings. It may be a guilty pleasure--or numbness from repeated pain. Most enjoy Ringu 0 which, as one put it, should show Lucas how to do a prequel. Ringu II received +/- reviews. It is very, very hard to make a good series these days unless the people wait to come up with a good story/production.

However, it looks like one might be able to get all of them special through Britain--why I have a region free DVD!!

Anyways, I do not think the others are widely available. One fault I have for Ringu DVD is no "goodies." Sorry, but in this day and age, one should at least have a commentary or something other than trailers for other films. I am not a "propeller head"--I have been told one has to limit "how much" to put on a DVD so as not to sacrifice quality of the transfer . . . something about the layers. . . . Anyways, something would have been preferable.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Cloverlief

Post by Cloverlief »

I enjoyed Ringu; it was a great movie. I liked The Ring a tad bit better, but I saw the The Ring first, and I think that is a deciding factor for which version one likes better. Excellent movies, excellent horror concept.

I have to agree with Doctor X, that the way the tape was made is what was important, not so much the medium.

If you want to see a sort of ripped off version that involves the Internet, then see Fear.com. Not such a great movie, but still fun in its own little way.
Chani

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

I enjoyed Ringu; it was a great movie. I liked The Ring a tad bit better, but I saw the The Ring first, and I think that is a deciding factor for which version one likes better. Excellent movies, excellent horror concept.
Ditto, almost exactly. Saw Ring first and thought it was great, found out it was a remake and watched the original. Both were good, I thought. Very different from each other, but good. I tried to take it as two interpretations or ideas based off the same source material.
Doc, this is the best fansite I know of, if you're interested:
http://www.theringworld.com/
You'll all be mine, in the end.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I tend to agree with a movie critic I read who said that people are going to tend to prefer whichever version they see first (of course, he was explaining his reasons why one should postpone watching The Ring until they had seen Ringu).

I liked The Ring it was miles ahead of most of the crap they try to pawn off as horror these days. I liked Ringu too, but I saw it after I had seen The Ring and it wasn't so different that it didn't feel like I was just watching the same movie again. I think that feeling is why that critic made his comment

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Yes, that was one of the fan sites.

It would be great if they linked to pages to get the DVDs--however, I am not sure they are all available yet. One of the reasons for REGION FREE is to get DVDs that will not be made in your "Home Region."

Odd, but many "foreign" DVDs will be at least subtitled in English.

I may see if I can find the original books--Ring and Spiral. They are "suppose" to be good if a little different from the movies--of course.

Now why did that television go off in the background. . . .

SPOILER ALERT!!

One thing I liked about Ringu is that it does not fully explain how Sadako kills her victims. It is implied it is through fear--scared to death. However, the girl who witnessed the death in the beginning did not die--though watching her crawl out of a television and persue her victim probably accounted for her "madness"--that an Pokemon. . . . I wonder if the "madness" is her babbling about a girl coming out of the television. The movie does not explain this--fortunately.

The first victim--in the film, Tomoko--appears to die of fear right in the beginning, but it is revealed that she was found in a closet by her mother. This means--without explaining it--that she "escaped" to the closet. The guy's fear also explains why some do not run away--a problem with any horror film: "Hey, like why don't we just leave?"

How did she kill the couple in the car? Come out the radio? Who knows which is great to think about.

--J.D.

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

Read lots of debate about that. It seems they give an answer in the novels. You know there are three novels, right? The last is called "Loop". I'm not going to say anymore, because you might be able to find these things and I don't want to spoil it for you.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Yes!

Supposedly the sequels also explain things.

I may just have to order the books since the booksellers here do not seem to have them--but I have to check a few more places. . . .

If you have read the books, are they good?

--J.D.

P.S. After I wrote that I recall that the ex-husband never got "the" phone call.

He did get a visit from the ghost.

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

Haven't, but I've read brief explainations as to what they were about. I found the info on ringworld, I think.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Quester_X wrote:
Haven't, but I've read brief explainations as to what they were about. I found the info on ringworld, I think.
I think you are confused. The Ringworld novels have nothing to do witht hte ring. Granted, the whole killer videotape thing SOUNDS like the sort of cowardly amnipulative thing the puppeteers would do, but really there is no connection. :wink: :D

whitefork
Title: Nearly Normal
Location: I live in Trafalgar Square with four lions to guard me.

Post by whitefork »

Speaking of the killer video, what came first, the Ringu books or Infinite Jest?
If it's good enough for Nelson, it's quite good enough for me.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

"Ringworld" is the name of a very fine fan page devoted to the Ringu stories--movies, remakes, televisions series, original books, manga, et cetera.

The Japanese novels are earlier methinks.

--J.D.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Doctor X wrote:"Ringworld" is the name of a very fine fan page devoted to the Ringu stories--movies, remakes, televisions series, original books, manga, et cetera.

The Japanese novels are earlier methinks.

--J.D.
I assumed that. It is also the name of a series of science fiction novels of variable quality.

I was just making a stupid joke.

Still, the whole plot STILL sounds like Puppeteer manipulation....

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I will have to get back to you after I read the books . . . er . . . find them!

I also have not seen Ringu II, Rasen, or Ringu 0.

--J.D.

The Central Scrutinizer

Post by The Central Scrutinizer »

I never felt like Ringu got the respect he deserved from the other Beatles. That's just my opinion.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

He was left-handed trying to play right handed, what do you expect?

--J.D.

Denise

Post by Denise »

I liked Ringu better, and I did see the Ring first. Ringu just made more sense.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Just obtained Ringu II.

Turn out the lights. . . .

--J.D.