I'd like some advice please.....

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Nigel

I'd like some advice please.....

Post by Nigel »

I've been a fan of jazz and the blues for many years, but I admit I don't know as much about jazz as I'd like. I've bought a few albums over the years, and been somewhat disappointed, because while they've been the great artists (Dizzy Gillespie and Dexter Gordon, for example), it was hit-and-miss on the particular album. The advice I'm soliciting is what are some of the essential jazz albums to own. (Miles Davis Kind of Blue has the reputation of being one of them, but I haven't bought it yet.)

I particularly like cool/bebop - 50s and 60s - but I'm not limiting myself just to that era. For instance, I own Joe Henderson's "so near, so far (musings for Miles)" from 1993, "Joe Cool's Blues" from Wynton Marsalis and Ellis Marsalis, and a jazz sampler featuring groups such as the Rippingtons, Acoustic Alchemy and Spyro Gyra (I'd heard Spyro Gyra as well as Weather Report when I was in college), and I have an album by the Brecker Brothers (all of which are hits, in my opinion). The point is to build a decent collection.

What "traditional" cool jazz albums would you recommend? (And I'd like to stay away from light jazz - no Kenny G for me, thank you.)

Thanks for any and all input.
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory

Beanbag

Post by Beanbag »

The Dave Brubeck Quartet: Time Out.

Listen to it carefully -- the CD version is incredible.

Then let it sink in that the master was recorded in 1957. MANY years ahead of the rest of the pack.

Regards;
Beanbag
I fear no gods, because they don't exist, but I fear the fool that truly Believes.

I'm voting Romney this time around, because I've never settled for the lesser of two evils.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Beanbag wrote:The Dave Brubeck Quartet: Time Out.

Listen to it carefully -- the CD version is incredible.

Then let it sink in that the master was recorded in 1957. MANY years ahead of the rest of the pack.

Regards;
Beanbag
Thanks Beanbag. Dammit, though, I didn't mention that I have that one. In fact, for some stupid reason, I failed to mention I think Take Five is one of the greatest ever. So.....what else?

Paul

Re: I'd like some advice please.....

Post by Paul »

Nigel wrote:I've been a fan of jazz and the blues for many years, but I admit I don't know as much about jazz as I'd like. I've bought a few albums over the years, and been somewhat disappointed, because while they've been the great artists (Dizzy Gillespie and Dexter Gordon, for example), it was hit-and-miss on the particular album. The advice I'm soliciting is what are some of the essential jazz albums to own. (Miles Davis Kind of Blue has the reputation of being one of them, but I haven't bought it yet.)

I particularly like cool/bebop - 50s and 60s - but I'm not limiting myself just to that era. For instance, I own Joe Henderson's "so near, so far (musings for Miles)" from 1993, "Joe Cool's Blues" from Wynton Marsalis and Ellis Marsalis, and a jazz sampler featuring groups such as the Rippingtons, Acoustic Alchemy and Spyro Gyra (I'd heard Spyro Gyra as well as Weather Report when I was in college), and I have an album by the Brecker Brothers (all of which are hits, in my opinion). The point is to build a decent collection.

What "traditional" cool jazz albums would you recommend? (And I'd like to stay away from light jazz - no Kenny G for me, thank you.)

Thanks for any and all input.
After Kind of Blue, you'd have to get Coltrane's A Love Supreme.

For cool/hard bop, get any or all of Miles Davis' series of albums from the 50s called "Walkin'," "Workin," "Steamin," and "Relaxin." Then, Coltrane's "BlueTrain." Then, Bill Evans' "Portrait in Jazz."

More:
Best of Herbie Hancock (on Blue Note)
Best of Lee Morgan (on Blue Note)
Joe Henderson's "The Kicker"
Charles Mingus' "Ah Um"
The Best of Wayne Shorter (on Blue Note)

I teach jazz classes, including jazz history, at a university.

Paul

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Fabulous! Thanks Paul. I'll print this out and put 'em on my list.

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Screamin' Jay Hawkins. Perfect Halloween album.
"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hexxenhammer wrote:Screamin' Jay Hawkins. Perfect Halloween album.
I've heard of him, but had forgotten. Definitely.