Immature Request

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
SkepticJ

Immature Request

Post by SkepticJ »

Does anyone know where I can find a photo of Rodin's Thinker siting on the pot? Or maybe even a metal cast of that that I could buy?
Oh, you people can kiss the fattest part of my ass!-Peter Griffin
I'm not an atheist. How can you not believe in something that doesn't exist? That's way too convoluted for me.- A. Whitney Brown

RedShift

Post by RedShift »

hmmmm google images turned up
http://www.hpks.com/artsy-funny/thinker-small.jpg

not really helpful, i guess
Random chance seems to have operated in our favour.

[color=red]If I wanted something your thumb touched, I’d eat the inside of your ear.[/color]

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Who wants to be the idiot who asks him, "why?"

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Marian

Post by Marian »

That one you can buy here: http://www.keocollectables.com/index.html
[size=75]<b><u>Trolls that I'm not feeding</u></b>
Jarod3, Kilik, Interesting Ian

<b><u>Also on ignore...</u></b>
jj[/size]

[url=http://www.elementsgraphics.net/index.php?id=eggs][img]http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/o919a.gif[/img][/url]

Grammatron

Re: Immature Request

Post by Grammatron »

SkepticJ wrote:Does anyone know where I can find a photo of Rodin's Thinker siting on the pot? Or maybe even a metal cast of that that I could buy?
Just of it? It's actually a part of a greater sculpture by Rodin "The Gates of Hell"

You can buy just "The Thinker" here.

http://www.forcounsel.com/productDetail ... uctid=1942

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I did not know that.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

SkepticJ

Post by SkepticJ »

Doctor X wrote:I did not know that.

--J.D.
Neither did I. It was one of my favorite artworks because I thought it was supposed to show how nice thinking is but apparently it's just tied into another religious work that is crap to me. :(
I'm not an atheist. How can you not believe in something that doesn't exist? That's way too convoluted for me.- A. Whitney Brown

Cloverlief

Post by Cloverlief »

SkepticJ wrote:

--J.D.
Neither did I. It was one of my favorite artworks because I thought it was supposed to show how nice thinking is but apparently it's just tied into another religious work that is crap to me. :(
Actually the Gates of Hell are based off of Dante's Inferno, which was a literay work that granted is based off a crap religion, but still worth a read.

Anyway, a few years ago, one of my Biochem instructors, a hard ass who gave quizes on material we never covered first thing on the first day of class, one day said, "We are going on a field trip instead of doing a lab on Tuesday. You all will be there, and if you aren't, you will receive a zero for lab that day. Oh, and it is a surprise where the field trip is." Okay, so we thought we would be going to a forensic's lab or to a chemistry lab or some sort of thing like that.

So, we all met outside the Medical School (where our class was held), and we carpooled over there. We were admonished not to loose site of the lead car as we were not to be told before we left where we were going. So, we loaded up and off we went. After driving through the streets of Reno for a while, we parked in the lot of a rather unpretentious older brick building. Upon exiting the cars we all noted that it was the Nevada Fine Arts Museum. We were all confused as to why we ended up here.

My instructor stood at the top of the steps and explained that he felt that education should be broad spectrum and although we were taking biochemistry, it didn't mean that we should be limited to biochemistry and that since the Rodin exibit had made it to our small corner of the world that he was giving us the unique oportunity to see these amazing works.

He had secured the museum on the only day it was closed: Monday, and so we had our own personal exhibition of Rodin's collection. It was amazing! I never really appreciate Rodin's work until seeing it in person. They had the Gates of Hell and the thinker as well as many other works by Rodin and it was spectacular!
Chani

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

And Chani get's really annoyed when I tell her how disapointing the Rodin exhibit had to have been if it didn't show his classic fight with Godzilla. :D

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

SkepticJ wrote:

--J.D.
Don't feel like that man, it's art and its meant to mean whatever you see it to mean. Considering it was done in 1880's in France of course it would be religious most of the great works of art are. If you like the work of art and it reprents something to you, get it and enjoy it.

SkepticJ

Post by SkepticJ »

I indeed would like one of him sitting on the pot. I do some deep thinking while I'm one there; and it would be funny. I couldn't make it though. I can't sculpt worth crap, yet.

whitefork
Title: Nearly Normal
Location: I live in Trafalgar Square with four lions to guard me.

Post by whitefork »

Rodan?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it's good enough for Nelson, it's quite good enough for me.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Maybe if you did not . . . you know . . . sculpt with your crap?

--J.D.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Doctor Mabuse wrote:Rodan?
Yeah. Anything that can sculpt that well AND still go fifteen rounds with the King of the Monsters has my respect. :D

viscousmemories

Post by viscousmemories »

I think the guy in the "Gates of Hell" piece is not technically the "Thinker".
Originally, the 'Thinker' - also named 'The Poet' - was to represent Dante Alighieri, the author of the Divina Commedia, symbolizing the intellectual power that created the dramatic world depicted in the 'Gates':

"In front of this Porte [Rodin explained to a journalist at the turn of the century], but on a rock, Dante was to be seated in profound meditation, conceiving the plan of his poem. Behind him, there was Ugolino, Francesca, Paolo, all the characters of the Divine Comedy. But something came of this idea. Gaunt, ascetic in his straight robe, my Dante, seperated from the ensemble, would have had no meaning. Still inspired by my original idea, I conceived of another Thinker, a naked man crouched on a rock against which his feet are contracted. Fist pressed against his teeth, he sits lost in contemplation. His fertile thoughts slowly unfalled in his imagination. He is not a dreamer; he is a creator."

[Marcelle Adam, Le Penseur, in: Gil Blas, Paris, 7 July 1904, quoted by Grunfeld, chapter 8, p. 191]

-source
Anyway the "Gates of Hell" is a really cool thing I'd never seen before, so thanks for that Grammatron.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Your welcome.

I think it's the same idea but Rodin re-imagined it away from the entire concept. In fact through out the years he kept changing it, removing certain parts from "The Gates of Hell" because he felt some were superfluous.

I found a good link to read about this particular peace of art.

http://www.musee-rodin.fr/senf1-e.htm

Brian

Post by Brian »

Sorry, just got the Gimp. Needed to play.
The Book of Love has music in it,
In fact that's where music comes from,
Some of it's just transcendental,
Some of it is really dumb.

-Magnetic Fields

jr

Post by jr »

ah, the Rodin museum is really worth going to see if you are in Paris.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Oh, and look, it's The Gates of Bill!
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.