GhostBusters Spoilers and the Sony Protection Scheme

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
corplinx
Title: Moderator

Re: GhostBusters Spoilers and the Sony Protection Scheme

Post by corplinx » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:38 pm

Anecdotal evidence of low turnout. Maybe calling everyone a misogynist isn't good for business? We shall see.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:04 am

Non-anectdotal evidence in the form of Box Office number. It's doing pretty much what I expected. OK but not fantastic. It's going to have trouble making a profit with these numbers though, since a film generally has to gross about 3x its budget to pull in a profit and it this article says it cost $144 million to make. So it has a LOOOOOOONG way to go to profitablity. But taken in its own, $45m is 'meh' numbers. Not fantastic, not a flop. My suspsicion is that it will be in the dollar theater in about two weeks though. Maybe three. THAT is what is going to kill it.

‘Ghostbusters’ Reboot Hovering $45 Million at the Box Office
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:00 pm

Director Paul Feig confirms Kate McKinnon's Ghostbusters character is gay
Daily Fail

So if the movie flops, is that evidence of pervasive homophobia as well as misogyny? :BigGrin3:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:51 pm

Rob Lister wrote:Image

It apparently requires a high level of estrogen to enjoy. Even women start to hate it as they age.
Still a lot more men flocking to see it than women.

What is the typical m/f ratio for movie ratings? Something comparable?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:00 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Non-anectdotal evidence in the form of Box Office number. It's doing pretty much what I expected. OK but not fantastic. It's going to have trouble making a profit with these numbers though, since a film generally has to gross about 3x its budget to pull in a profit and it this article says it cost $144 million to make. So it has a LOOOOOOONG way to go to profitablity. But taken in its own, $45m is 'meh' numbers. Not fantastic, not a flop. My suspsicion is that it will be in the dollar theater in about two weeks though. Maybe three. THAT is what is going to kill it.

There's a dollar theater?? Don't think I ever saw that.

Here's more: The movie is not expected to be the top movie this weekend, getting beat out by The Secret Life of Pets, which is on its second weekend.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4206&p=.htm

For any old movie those may be 'meh' numbers but for a reboot of Ghostbusters? It really probably should have done better than that.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:17 pm

Well, I think it's up to $3 now, and the proper term is "second run theater" but yeah there is such a thing. They still charge regular movie theater prices for popcorn and such, but if you want to just see a movie on the big screen on the cheap and don't mind waitin a few weeks, they are good deals

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:17 pm

Does at least seem to be faring better than The Legend of Tarzan though:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tarzan2016.htm

Budget of $180 million, but only pulled in $38 million on its opening weekend. Falls to S11 million this weekend.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:18 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:Image

It apparently requires a high level of estrogen to enjoy. Even women start to hate it as they age.
Still a lot more men flocking to see it than women.

What is the typical m/f ratio for movie ratings? Something comparable?
3:1 depending on the movie.

The Reverant
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1663202/rat ... _=tt_ov_rt

Sleepless in Seattle
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108160/rat ... _=tt_ov_rt

Sex in the city
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1000774/rat ... _=tt_ov_rt

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:15 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Non-anectdotal evidence in the form of Box Office number. It's doing pretty much what I expected. OK but not fantastic. It's going to have trouble making a profit with these numbers though, since a film generally has to gross about 3x its budget to pull in a profit and it this article says it cost $144 million to make. So it has a LOOOOOOONG way to go to profitablity. But taken in its own, $45m is 'meh' numbers. Not fantastic, not a flop. My suspsicion is that it will be in the dollar theater in about two weeks though. Maybe three. THAT is what is going to kill it.

Yeah, I saw a story this morning. We finally have a new ghostbusters film and it couldn't beat out a kids film about talking animals for the top spot....

Oof.

The 44 mil estimate for opening weekend seems to be popular.

This was supposed to be a cash grab, instead it looks like a break even. Big Failure.

Incoming "was the target of misogyny" after accusing everyone who reacted poorly to their ham fisted identity politics of being bigots and putting off a larger possible audience.

Don't forget accusing everyone of misogyny for not liking the universally loathed trailer.

Or having an online lynching of James Rolfe for saying he was passing on seeing it.

Mind you, they started doing re-shoots in _May_. It's almost like they knew it wasn't up to snuff themselves...

Lesson for Hollywood, you can't piss in the face of the moviegoing public and still expect them to give you a big opening weekend.

Spoiler: A queef gag is the "Something About Mary" moment for this film. It's the kind of thing a male writer like Feig would get wrong since Queefing is really a sex act related thing due to suction of the naughty bits.

Even that is turned into a Feminist victory:
http://www.nashvillescene.com/arts-cult ... agina-fart
I Ain't Afraid of No Vagina Fart
The woman-driven cast of Ghostbusters smashes the glass ceiling with a small puff of wind

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:03 pm

When fart jokes are the highlight of your movie. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

specious_reasons

Post by specious_reasons » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:19 am

Not just from her look, it's kind of obvious through the movie that she's playing the character as gay.

Yes, I saw it:
- it's not as funny as the original, but has its moments.
- some of the cameos are forced, and the movie really tried to reference the original whenever possible, which I think weakened the movie.
- Leslie Jones is much better than in the trailer, as in she's a more realistic character and actually contributes to the team.
- it felt the need to have action scenes which were... excessive. (This is more because it was made in 2016 and not in 1984 - I shudder to think how indulgent the original would have been with CG technology.)

So, I liked it, thought it was good, not great. Of course, I was inclined to like it, so there's that.
ta-
DAVE!!!

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Post by Tiosylanyl » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:57 am

$46 Million opening weekend. Beat out by The Secret Life of Pets which was in its second week.

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:29 am

http://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainme ... aky-posts/
I’ve been slimed.

Also slammed, applauded, lauded, derided, accused of misogyny and told to go off and do things I have no interest in doing because they sound really painful.

All because of my admittedly rough but 100 percent honest review of “Ghostbusters.”

You will give positive reviews or you will gets James Rolfe'd. The SJWs ruin everything.

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:40 am

[youtube][/youtube]

I probably laughed harder at the twinkie joke in this review than I would have if I had paid money to see the new GB.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:18 pm

corplinx wrote:http://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainme ... aky-posts/
I’ve been slimed.

Also slammed, applauded, lauded, derided, accused of misogyny and told to go off and do things I have no interest in doing because they sound really painful.

All because of my admittedly rough but 100 percent honest review of “Ghostbusters.”

You will give positive reviews or you will gets James Rolfe'd. The SJWs ruin everything.
Or alternately, if everyone else is reviewing the politics surrounding the movie if you review the movie itself and give it a bad review, they will assume you are reviewing the politics the same as everyone else did.

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:09 pm

Has anyone been gone after like Roeper?

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:20 pm

I don't know. I am just saying that it sounds like he reviewed the film on its own merits. But lots of people (and I am talking the public here, not professional critics) managed to make up their minds about it before even seeing it because of the gender politics surrounding it. Idiots mostly (because this bullshit was going on even before the trailer). Then the idiots from the other side decided his review was based on those self same politics and attacked him.

Can't think of too many other movies that had a similar set of circumstances surrounding it, so there isn't a lot to compare it to.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:21 pm

Has anyone been attacked like Leslie Jones? That is the equal and opposite set of idiots. The people for whom the movie itself doesn't matter and is just yet another excuse for their stupid 'culture war' bullshit. Horseshoe theory in action

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peop ... /87271984/
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:22 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Has anyone been attacked like Leslie Jones? That is the equal and opposite set of idiots.
Only every celebrity on Twitter.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:26 pm

I doubt well known movie critics fare better than celebrities. Esepcially since its their job to have an opinion and lots of people don't like other people having opinions different than theirs.

Basically, I am saying if it is wrong for one side to do it, it is wrong for the other. If it is ok for one, then it is ok for the other. Anything else is hypocrisy.