The Community's Art Gallery

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Anaxagoras

Re: The Community's Art Gallery

Post by Anaxagoras »

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Witness

Post by Witness »

@ Anax:

That picture has been heavily manipulated:
  • the sun doesn't shine through branches;
  • you can notice a lot of symmetries, in parts of the tree, the waves and even some of the grasses on that too perfect hill.
Personally that kind of fake photography leaves me cold, but that's just my opinion.
Witness

Post by Witness »

@ Abdul:

Interesting find. I looked at his FB page where he advertises his "Western Cubism" (sic). It quickly gets repetitive and completely lacks the raw power of the original cubists. They used commonplace, contemporary objects or models for a reason, not glorified Indians, cowhands or emblematic wild animals from the past.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Well said, Abdul, well said. Alas he also seems inordinately proud of his work… :mrgreen:
Fid

Post by Fid »

Looks like "dazzle" ship camo for fish.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:39 pm Image
Spoiler:
Yes, THAT Ben Garrison :o
I had an acid trip exactly like this in '76.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"what dicking deep shit i produce" -- pillory

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

People are shitting themselves to death
Crap so much they fail to take a breath
But even when their kids are starvin'
They thought Trump would throw them Charmin.
Witness

Post by Witness »

shemp

Post by shemp »

That had to be intentional.

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:52 pm Not sure whether this is FAIL or ART. :notsure:
Not reason enough to post the same pic in both threads. :roll:

The Plague by Arnold Böcklin, 1898, Basel, Kunstmuseum. Tempera on fir.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Drawing tutorial:

:mrgreen:
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Sorry, Abdul, I gave up between 1 and 2 minutes.

Slightly, very slightly
NSFW:
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

asthmatic camel wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:43 pm And another one. Amazing how our stopfunians are able to grafitise a remarkable piece of civil engineering, isn't it?

This made me think of something.

There are those that will claim that things like import marks diminish the value and collectability of firearms. For example, here is a Dreyse pistol that was captured/acquired by Norway and entered into their police armory
Now, these firearms have less collector appeal than one with no such marks. Then there are import marks

Then there are more arcane things like the VOPO mark on this Luger
The mark is a sunburst with a shield. It signifies acceptance into the arsenal of the Peoples Police of East Germany.
The point is that some/many consider such marks a desecration, things that take away from the value and form of the object.

Personally, There are some things that I would want to be perfect, as it came from the factory. But the marks that I've shown are the story of the "thing", they are an immutable part of the thing and have value for that reason.

Bring it home, Ed ...

So when one looks at carved garaffiti on the walls of, say, the Tower
You are really seeing the story of the Tower.

I guess that I am seeing the writing on the viaduct as similar to these things and somehow it does not bother me as much as it might have before I became so sensitive.
This space for let
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Ed, do you have to...clean your guns regularly?
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

ed, I know what you're talking about.

Much has been written about the graffiti at Stonehenge, which is part of the monument's history. Here's one example:

Would Stonehenge be of much interest if it were still in its newly-built condition? Probably not: it's hardly an architectural marvel, just very old.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/most-deta ... oes-online
The Rijksmuseum is today publishing the largest and most detailed ever photograph of The Night Watch on its website, making it possible to zoom in on individual brushstrokes and even particles of pigment in the painting. Work on Operation Night Watch will resume on Wednesday 13 May in the glass chamber in the museum
For some reason it won't embed here...

http://hyper-resolution.org/view.html?i ... 2019-12-21
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:11 pm
NSFW:
Again mocking people from southern climes, are we?

Yet they have everything they'll ever need:
NSFW:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Cutting edge technology to produce kitschy art. :roll:
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/muril ... in-1888995
Spain Has Been Hit by Yet Another Bungling Restorer, Who Turned This Virgin Mary Painting Into an Unrecognizable Blob
Restoration experts are now calling for greater regulation of the field.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Edward Munch Museum offers a "digital experience" for those who can't travel: https://www.munchmuseet.no/en.

With photos.

shemp

Post by shemp »

Before he painted "The Scream" he made his living painting penises on the beach.

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

William Shakespeare
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Nice. Ink + watercolor has a long tradition. :)
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

William Shakespeare
Giz

Post by Giz »

Fitting for an election year
Witness

Post by Witness »

Anaxagoras wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:29 am This guy does pareidolia art.
Reminded me of Leonardo:
“Look at walls splashed with a number of stains, or stones of various mixed colours. If you have to invent some scene, you can see there resemblances to a number of landscapes, adorned with mountains, rivers, rocks, trees, great plains, valleys and hills, in various ways. Also you can see various battles, and lively postures of strange figures, expressions on faces, costumes and an infinite number of things, which you can reduce to good integrated form. This happens on such walls and varicoloured stones, (which act) like the sound of bells, in whose peeling you can find every name and word that you can imagine.
Do not despise my opinion, when I remind you that it should not hard for you to stop sometimes and look into the stains of walls, or the ashes of a fire, or clouds, or mud or like places, in which, if you consider them well, you may find really marvelous ideas. The mind of the painter is stimulated to new discoveries, the composition of battles of animals and men, various compositions of landscapes and monstrous things, such as devils and similar things, which may bring you honor, because by indistinct things the mind is stimulated to new inventions.”

― Leonardo da Vinci
asthmatic camel

I may have posted this before, but it popped up elsewhere and I'm rather fond of it. Should suit sparks, too..

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Kintsugi

Kintsugi (金継ぎ, "golden joinery"), also known as kintsukuroi (金繕い, "golden repair"), is the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery by mending the areas of breakage with lacquer dusted or mixed with powdered gold, silver, or platinum, a method similar to the maki-e technique. As a philosophy, it treats breakage and repair as part of the history of an object, rather than something to disguise.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kintsugi

Witness

Post by Witness »

Painting Deemed Fake, Consigned to Storage May Be Genuine Rembrandt

New analysis confirms the famed Dutch painter’s studio—and perhaps even the artist himself—created “Head of a Bearded Man”

Since the 1980s, a postcard-sized painting has sat out of sight in the storeroom of the University of Oxford’s Ashmolean Museum. Titled Head of a Bearded Man, the portrait was donated to the museum in 1951 and displayed as an original work by revered Dutch master Rembrandt. But after a group of investigators deemed the painting inauthentic in 1981, curators decided to move it into storage.

“[N]o one wanted to talk about [it] because it was this fake Rembrandt,” curator An Van Camp tells the Guardian’s Mark Brown.

Now, Bearded Man is set to return to public view under decidedly more auspicious circumstances: As the museum announced in a statement, new research has all but confirmed that the painting was created in Rembrandt’s workshop—and perhaps even by the Old Master himself. (Bearded Man will go on display later this week as part of the museum’s “Young Rembrandt” exhibition, which surveys the artist’s first decade of work.)

Van Camp says she had long suspected that the painting might be authentic. When the Ashmolean began to prepare for “Young Rembrandt,” curators and conservators brought Bearded Man to Peter Klein, a dendrochronologist who specializes in dating wooden objects by examining the growth rings of trees.

Klein found that the wood panel on which the work is painted came from an oak tree felled in the Baltic region between 1618 and 1628. According to Martin Bailey of the Art Newspaper, that same exact wood was used in two other works: Rembrandt’s Andromeda Chained to the Rocks (circa 1630) and Rembrandt collaborator Jan Lievens’ Portrait of Rembrandt’s Mother (circa 1630).

“Allowing a minimum of two years for the seasoning of the wood, we can firmly date the portrait to 1620-30,” says Klein in the statement.

Taken together, the evidence constitutes a compelling argument for Bearded Man’s attribution to Rembrandt’s studio. But researchers will need to conduct further study to assess whether the artist personally crafted the work.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180975691/
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

William Shakespeare
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

William Shakespeare
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

William Shakespeare
Witness

Post by Witness »

Rediscovered painting by Leonardo da Vinci's 'little devil' lover and collaborator sells for record €1.7m in France

Penitent Magdalene by Salaì, who entered Leonardo's workshop at the age of ten, was estimated at €100,000 to €150,000 and is one of only a handful of known works by the artist

A painting of Mary Magdalene recently attributed to Leonardo da Vinci's collaborator and lover Gian Giacomo Caprotti, known as Salaì, sold at the Paris auction house Artcurial yesterday for €1.7m ($2m, with fees), a new record for the artist. The oil on panel, dating from around 1515 to 1520 and previously thought to be by Giampietrino, was estimated at €100,000 to €150,000. Against fierce phone bidding during the auction (closed due to Covid-19 precautions), it sold to an American collector.

Salaì was a poor boy from a working-class background and, as recorded in the older artist's diaries, entered da Vinci's workshop aged just ten on 22 July 1490, when da Vinci was in his late 30s.

Despite this age difference he became one of da Vinci's "lovers", a problematic term today given the age difference and Salaì's extreme youth when he first joined the older artist's workshop. The handsome, curly-haired Salaì appeared to infuriate Leonardo as much as he captivated him and he wrote in one of his journals that the young artist was a "thief, liar, obstinate, glutton." Hence his nickname, meaning little devil.

But da Vinci forgave him his petty crimes and Salaì stayed with him for more than 25 years, until da Vinci's death in 1519, serving as a financial manager, model, agent and lover and accompanying him on all his travels. He carried on painting, too, and became a teacher at the workshop in 1515. Leonardo left the Mona Lisa to Salaì upon his death.
https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/re ... or-eur1-7m

The initial estimate corresponding roughly to the price of this immortal artwork:
Early Snoopy Appearance in Peanuts Original Strip Hits Record $192,000

Charles Schulz's Peanuts syndicated comic strip began its 17897 strip, 50-year run on October 2, 1950. Snoopy first appeared just two days later on October 4, 1950. An earliest-days Peanuts comic strip from November 17, 1950 has just hammered at Heritage Auctions for $192,000 — a record price for a Peanuts daily comic strip. The November 17 strip is the 40th Peanuts daily to appear and features Snoopy along with another Peanuts character named Shermy.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/early-s ... rd-192000/

Witness

Post by Witness »

asthmatic camel

Here's a blatant plug for my beautiful niece, Ellie. She's bloody good at what she does, (grade one honour degree in illustration), and could use some trade.

Linky.

Last edited by asthmatic camel on Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ I like that! A tad too much color for my shriveled taste, but OK.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Matisse, like Van Gogh, started from very classical / boring / 19th c. stuff:

to get to much bolder interpretations (while still using a restricted palette), e. g.:

1920 - 21

While we all start young and bold, ending old and tired. :mrgreen:
Giz

Post by Giz »

Looks like he got lazy