The Community's Art Gallery

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Witness

Re: The Community's Art Gallery

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

The Art Institute of Chicago Has Put 50,000 High-Res Images from Their Collection Online

https://kottke.org/18/11/the-art-instit ... ion-online for details.

ed
Title: Not gay

Post by ed »

We should celebrate indiginous art. With the new world order, we will see the replacement of patriarchal trash like this

with glorious indiginous creations like this

You think I am kidding?
About that stereo

Witness

Post by Witness »

Happy Muricans:
Lack of space at the British Museum sees major loan of Assyrian collection to Getty

Since the closure of a basement gallery in 2006 there is little room to store the whole collection

The British Museum is to lend an "important group" of Assyrian sculpted reliefs to the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles for three years because it lacks the funds to create an adequate display space for all of its outstanding collection. The loan will include the Banquet Scene, which is widely regarded as the world’s finest single relief panel from Assyria.

The Los Angeles show, Assyria: Palace Art of Ancient Iraq (from 2 October), will comprise 12 large gypsum panels like those destroyed by Islamic State extremists in Iraq in 2015. The sculptures on loan date from the ninth to seventh centuries BC and were excavated at Nimrud, Nineveh and Khorsabad in the mid-19th century.
https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/no ... ish-museum

First Verrocchio exhibit to open in the U.S.

50 masterworks by Leonardo's master at NGA

(ANSA) - Washington, September 11 - Andrea del Verrocchio, one of the greatest Renaissance artists and the master of Leonardo and Perugino, will star in the first-ever monographic exhibition in the United States, at the National Gallery of Art (NGA) in Washington. The exhibit will showcase some 50 masterworks including paintings, sculptures and drawings.
It will run from September 15 through January 12.
http://www.ansa.it/english/news/2019/09 ... f7f3c.html

Witness

Post by Witness »

Robert Frank Dies; Pivotal Documentary Photographer Was 94

Mr. Frank, best known for his groundbreaking book, “The Americans,” had a visually raw and personally expressive style that made him one of the most influential photographers of the 20th century.

[…]

Mr. Frank would later reject Cartier-Bresson’s work, saying it represented all that was glib and insubstantial about photojournalism. He believed that photojournalism oversimplified the world, mimicking, as he put it, “those goddamned stories with a beginning and an end.” He was more drawn to the paintings of Edward Hopper, before Hopper was widely recognized.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/10/arts ... raphy.html

"City of London, 1951."

More pics: https://www.artic.edu/collection?q=robert%20frank

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ It's a montage (not that I mind):

https://unsplash.com/photos/E070fOfMf8E

Foreground & tractor apparently from Serbia.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

A bit disappointing.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Went to a concert of my old Sardinian friend Marina and her accomplice Lucia (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-kwNH-SIx0 for a recent video):

Lighting was a nightmare, with some old dude constantly fiddling with the color, but the acoustics were excellent: what a pleasure to hear voices & guitar without any amplification!

I had planned my route to get back home so that I had a long hike along the local marshalling yard:

Modern cameras are really astonishing, that's taken by hand around 11 PM. Interesting factoid: they keep sheep on the grassy borders of the tracks (with a barrier so they don't get quashed by a train). :mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Pictures by Sabine Weiss:

"humanist" photographer of the fifties:

Françoise Sagan

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

:figamagee:

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Painting of the Wiener Staatsoper (Vienna State Opera House)

This was painted sometime in 1912. It was considered a little too conventional by the "art community" of that time and place.

But it has stood up to time pretty well, don't you think? :coolspecs:

Then war came and the artist was in it. I wonder what happened to him. :notsure:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Giz

Post by Giz »

Wait, are you saying this was not a hit with a capital H?

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Some photographs by Michael Kenna:

Hokkaido

Craców, Poland (with Nova Huta in the background :mrgreen: )

Lots more: http://www.michaelkenna.net/imagearchive.php

Witness

Post by Witness »

We all know Hopper's urban scenes, but I was unaware he also painted landscapes (I even saw an exhibition of works and there was nothing like that).
Now there's an exhibition near Basel:

More: https://www.lemonde.fr/culture/portfoli ... _3246.html

Witness

Post by Witness »

Isleworth Mona Lisa

The Isleworth Mona Lisa is an oil-on-canvas painting of the same subject as Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa. In 2015 and 2016, peer-reviewed academic publications concerning it confirmed its attribution to Leonardo da Vinci.

In 1913 English connoisseur Hugh Blaker spotted and acquired the painting which had been hanging for over a century in a manor house in Somerset, having been bought in Italy as an original Leonardo. In a monograph published shortly thereafter, Blaker's stepfather, John R. Eyre, proposed that two versions of the Mona Lisa had been worked on by Leonardo; the "Isleworth" picture (named after the location of Blaker's studio in Isleworth, west London) being the first.

The painting was subsequently bought by Henry F. Pulitzer, who argued that it was Leonardo's only real portrait of Lisa Gherardini. When Pulitzer died in 1979 his partner, Elizabeth Meyer, inherited the painting. When she died in 2008, the Isleworth Mona Lisa was sold to a private collection and is not currently on display to the public. Ownership of the painting is disputed as an anonymous "distinguished European family" has claimed that the painting's former owner had sold a 25% in the painting, but a lawyer stated that the claim was clearly without merit.

The Isleworth Mona Lisa has been examined by many experts in recent years, and been filmed for a TV documentary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isleworth_Mona_Lisa

The Louvre painting:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Witness wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:21 am
In 2015 and 2016, peer-reviewed academic publications concerning it confirmed its attribution to Leonardo da Vinci.
Sounds like there is some doubt about its provenance.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness »

That's often the case with old paintings, especially when the master had a school/workshop/apprentices… Often he would just paint the difficult or characteristic parts like faces or hands.

But not only. Most of the Dalí lithos you see (e. g. in tourist traps) are fakes. Picasso himself never complained about forgeries in his style, arguing that if he did he'd have to be in court and they would drag in one of his friends. :mrgreen:

Giz

Post by Giz »

The backgrounds are very different. I wonder if it is just exposure/wear on the louvre version that makes the rocks look so different... or if it was a different hand?