The Weeb Report

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The Weeb Report

Post by Doctor X »

Tokyo Ghoul is surprisingly well done, but it is a bit derivative of Parasyte which I highly recommend.

For fans of Attack on Titan I recommend, highly, the satire "Attack! Junior High School" which was sort of made to cover the "space" between "Oh shit! People really like this anime!" and "Getting it done responsibly." They really did not expect how popular it would be and the quality animation takes a very long time. Very, very clever satire. Just look at the opening:

[youtube][/youtube]

何?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I will look for that. Contrary to impression, I do not watch a lot of anime. I have zero interest in Let's Put On Giant Robot Clothes! stories, long-winded fantasy like Bleach--boring after the first episode--and Our Target Audience is Pedophiles which pretty much removes 97% of anime.

I prefer horror since it usually has to involve actual plot and even, Heavens to Betsy, character development. I held off on Tokyo Ghoul figuring it would be a "become a ghoul, have life issues" story, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I will give this to AoT: the anime is not trying to "catch up" to the manga, nor did it try to conclude the story while the manga is still going on like the [Japanese--Ed.] Original Full Metal Alchemist and an odd series Gantz which fell apart RIGHT when they stopped following the manga. Though, the manga is AoT level length which sort of . . . just . . . ends . . . because . . . we need to end it. Another series that suffered that syndrome was Death Note--"okay, we need to end this so let's just make him an idiot suddenly and remove the nihilistic meaning of the [Japanese--Ed.] original."

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I will look for that addition to Gantz. What I enjoyed was the acerbic commentary from "Gantz" every time a mission was completed along with chibi depictions of the members. That and the increasing moral ambiguity when you realize they are killing "aliens" who are not actually harming anyone. But:
It had its moments of EPIC FAIL. The sexual exploits of the main character made a Hustler letters section seem realistic. Yes, yes, YES, teens are hormone-saturated, and your readers live through the main character, but, come on! The SUPER HUGE ROBOT PEOPLE WEAPONS were stupid as were the way they "defeated" the aliens. Nevertheless, I give him credit for the moral ambiguity and even making "the Aliens" very humanoid so you may have some sympathy for them. I actually liked the whole sequence where he "kidnaps" a female alien, she tries to get him killed, and, in the end, she asks that he not "kill us." You also have to love fast-food restaurants that serve "human."

He loses points bitching about 'muricans when forgetting comfort women, Korea, and China.

He gained points with "the Point" being "no one cares about you humans, you die, and fuck you, but we don't like what these aliens are doing so, whatev's we made a girl retarded to send you some advice. Suck it!" but loses points with the "21 grams" stupidity--like, okay, you might have a soul and therefore . . . MEANING!

Oh and let us throw in Vampires who get taken in by Gantz even though that does not work with other people.

And ESP. Let's just throw that in. Because . . . well . . . I need a way to defeat the Aliens!

Overall, I still enjoyed it and "You don't have sex with your pet" is one of the funniest lines since Shion explained the necessity of driving nails into your finger-joints.

I digress.
If you liked Gantz I would recommend Parasyte. The movies are actually very good--though a bit truncated. It reunites two actors from Ichi the Killer perfectly cast.

Which . . . is interesting . . . since the movie from the I Make Tarantino Seem Clever director Miike did it during the release of a very small manga. The screen writer was the manga author. Yet the movie ending is . . . well . . . contradicts the manga ending that would come and subsequent very clever "prequels." I say that is "interesting" because perhaps the author did not know how to end it or did not want to reveal it before he drew it.
In the movie, it is all weird that "Ichi" probably kills Ishihara--That Guy with the Face--AND the Boy but we later see His Handler hang himself in a park with someone who looks like The Boy seeing him. What? Fuck it.

In reality, it is made clear that His Handler utterly controls his mind, works for a larger organization working to bring down yakuza who brain wash Worthless Slobs to do their bidding, and "Ichi" is just such a "slob." The manga ends with Ichi as a "salaryman" who has no recollection what happened to him. His Handler is very much alive and seeking fresh "volunteers" to use to take down gangs. "Ichi" leaves a restaurant and sees The Boy who is like what he was. He thinks he should know who he is, but cannot remember. The incident makes him start trying some of his kicks and movements he did as "Ichi the Killer." He does not know why. Anyways, he bumps into a yakuza member who threatens to beat him to death and the question we are left with is does he just get beaten up crying or does he instinctively revert and paint the alley with the yakuza's soft squishy bits.
--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

corplinx wrote:Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is the other substitute anime for Attack on Titan. Same studio but not tied to a manga's pacing.
Interesting. I watched it and while it is beautifully rendered it has a lot of flaws which I will not bore everyone who did not bother with other than to mention the supreme flaw is the utter lack of a reason anyone does what they do. They also do not make any attempt to explore the reality of the society unlike AoT.

I would compare it to GoT where one at least understands the motivation of various villains even if said motivation is creepy and disgusting. You can understand why various characters do what they do even though the choices are "bad" or even "stupid." Similarly, for AoT characters even if we do not quite know the reasons for every motivation. Heck, the creeptacular soul-crushing series I recommend if having to put down the Family Pet because you just felt too "upbeat" rewatching Schindler's List derives about 100% of its tragedy from the human flaws of the characters. As I have pontificated, if you put Macbeth in Hamlet you would have a thirty second play:
Ghost: Revenge his foul and most unnatural murder.

Macbeth: Exeunt. Enter Macbeth with sword drawn covered in blood And?
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress would be like a bank robbery film--say Sexy Beast--where the criminals get into the "bank" and then the Teddy Best shoots most of his gang and then sits in the bank saying, "I broke into a bank! A bank! I broke into it!" His remaining henchmen would cheer. A lot.

--J. "No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! NO! NO!" D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I get that, but for that one it never really did. Compare a few classics that started off as anime such as Cowboy Bebop. Characters in Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress do a lot of things that make no sense.

I did enjoy it, it is beautifully done.

You might onjoy Shinsekei Yori--"From a New World."

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I would also add that if you or anyone else is in the need of soul-crushing stripping away of all hope for humanity--or what Nyarl calls "Tuesday"--see the long adult-in-tone series Monster. Make sure you have the correct one. "Adult" as in there is no "light bits" or chibi moments rather than "boobs 'n tentacles" with with "buckets of blood."

Set in West Germany in the 80s--when you still had a West Germany--it starts with a young Japanese neurosurgeon who is having a celebrated career. He dates the daughter of Important Chairman--for once the Blond Buxom Aryan Anime-Babe is actually Aryan!--and everything goes well as he saves the life of Important Opera Singer.

Yet a family hates him. The survivors of a Turkish man who say he was brought into the hospital before Important Opera Singer. The doctor recalls being pulled from his surgery to be told that he needed to operate on the Important Opera Singer. This is done much more subtly than I am describing it. His fiance is quite frank at a restaurant as she slices her filet Mignon--"not all lives are equal." Her father takes all of the credit for saving the Opera Singer while colleagues congratulate the young man that this is all part of him paying his dues to climb up the ladder. His own father, a country doctor in Japan, cannot even afford to travel to Germany for the wedding. Fiance's father then tell the doctor he will be shutting down his research in order to prepare the manuscripts he will be presenting at an international conference. Doctor swallows this without protest.

In the background--it is one of those series--you keep hearing news reports. One of them involves an East German trade representative who defected with is wife and two young twin--fraternal--children.

One night--this is all in the first episode!--the police come to the home of the trade representative to find he and his wife shot dead, the son in critical condition with a gunshot wound to his head, and the daughter standing catatonic and mute.

Our Not-So-Humble--but Magnificent . . . certainly not MagNIfIcent [Get on with it!--Ed.]--Doctor comes to the rescue. He will save the boy! He briefly sees the catatonic but uninjured girl who seem to move her lips. He bends down to listen and hears, "kill him!"

Just before he starts Awesome Life-Saving Surgery on the boy he is stopped, again, and told he must, instead, operate on the mayor who just suffered an occlusive stroke--the medical portrayal is surprisingly good actually. He is told, by Fiance's Father, that mayor cannot die given he is supporting a large grant for the hospital. "We can count on you." The boy? Let the Bumbling Doctor deal with him!

Our Not-So-Humble-but-Magnificent Doctor rebels! He saves the boy!

The mayor, of course, dies. Everyone blames ONSHbM Doctor. He is stunned at the way colleagues start to shun him--except Bumbling Doctor who says they are now the same.

The girl wanders the corridors of the hospital, repeating "Kill him! Kill him! Kill him!"

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Dudes. This series is beyond awesome. First really adult/mature anime I have seen where adult/mature does not equal tentacles, raping corpses, and hentai and all of that nonsense. This is the "cartoon" version of True Detective I.

Okay, without Woody getting to [CENSORED--Ed.] her with "extreme prejudice."

Whoah . . . scratch that, this series makes True Detective I look like "A Very Special Episode of Blossom." :shock:

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Interesting.

Finally getting around to watching all of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex . . . yes . . . "welcome to 2004."

I hope the Red Sox do not have to play the MFYs again in the playoffs.

I avoided it up until now because I enjoyed the [Japanese.--Ed.] Original movie which greatly improved on the manga. Oddly enough, the manga is more like this series, though the series eventually tamps down on a lot of the author's self-indulgent wanderings. In the manga, Motoko is also a graphically, and usually censored in anything but the Japanese [!--Ed.] Original manga, lesbian . . . unless she wants go with men, which she does as well. The anime just decided to leave her a lesbian and not make a big deal out of it. They do a better job with it in that it is clearly implied and Batou will playfully tease her but not in a nasty way. The manga? It comes off as "Hey! Watch a Girl [CENSORED--Ed.] Motoko on a yacht! Is her tongue real or cybernetic? YOU DECIDE!"

The series also draws Motoko more "natural" like the [Japanese--Ed.] Original movies. The manga author/artist draws her consistently with "break the laws of physics" proportions beyond the normal "attract the shonen manga/anime." The series creators seem aware of this. The manga's Motoko pretty much wanders about in glorified underwear, if that. This series does that to a lesser extent--"hey, can we put a jacket on her?" but they make joke about her having to get changed. In one episode, after she is unceremoniously thrown into a pile of wet garbage and her team teases her about her look and smell--"There is no part of this that is funny."--she has to get changed and, in a meeting, Aramaki playfully asks her about her new clothes and if she is trying to attract his attention.

Back to the series, some very good episodes and nice literary references. Probably drives the Japanese crazy given I do not think they read Catcher in the Rye much. Far better than the manga. Nothing is as good as the first film, but they do a good job creating a series based on the manga.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Speaking of Ghost in the Shell, look what came up on my YouTube recommendations

Also saw the sequel to it a couple weeks ago on Netflix. I know it's pretty old. It's called Innocence in Japanese. I think it's just Ghost in the Shell 2 in English.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare (probably Socrates originally)
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

It is Innocence. I did like it when it came out, but it is not as good as the first film overall, though that is a tough act to follow.

As for the rest, I am sure it will be as good as the Aeon Flux film. . . .

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Do you guys have Kill La Kill on Netflix over there? Just watched the first episode of that. Seems okay.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

"Details?!"

--J.D.
Last edited by Doctor X on Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

https://myanimelist.net/anime/18679/Kill_la_Kill

Synopsis
After the murder of her father, Ryuuko Matoi has been wandering the land in search of his killer. Following her only lead—the missing half of his invention, the Scissor Blade—she arrives at the prestigious Honnouji Academy, a high school unlike any other. The academy is ruled by the imposing and cold-hearted student council president Satsuki Kiryuuin alongside her powerful underlings, the Elite Four. In the school's brutally competitive hierarchy, Satsuki bestows upon those at the top special clothes called "Goku Uniforms," which grant the wearer unique superhuman abilities.

Thoroughly beaten in a fight against one of the students in uniform, Ryuuko retreats to her razed home where she stumbles across Senketsu, a rare and sentient "Kamui," or God Clothes. After coming into contact with Ryuuko's blood, Senketsu awakens, latching onto her and providing her with immense power. Now, armed with Senketsu and the Scissor Blade, Ryuuko makes a stand against the Elite Four, hoping to reach Satsuki and uncover the culprit behind her father's murder once and for all.
It's silly, but I like the animation style.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I only watch Serious マンガ which is . . . serious.

Any tentacles?

I am asking for a . . . friend.

I will think about it.

If you like that--from what I gather from the trailer--you may like the infamous Puella Madoka Magica which someone recommended to me. It seems like a "Magical Girl" anime such that after two episodes your eyes rot from the sugar. I was about to obtain the tickets and a large fish to sally forth and beat said someone into a fine paste.

Then the third episode.

And it grows even more progressively soul crushing dark. Now the opening titles/music should have warned me--it is not the "Happy Underaged Pedos Watch Maybe Tentacles" fare. It is something Ligeti listens to if he feels too chipper.

That being written despite my propensity to remind people that, when it comes to anime and manga:

despite my Humble . . . Yet MagNIfIcent offerings, I am very selective with what I watch and read. To give some examples, the Japanese Original manga Ranma 1/2 is positively hilarious. The anime, very well cast . . . not so much. Perhaps I would have a better opinion if I saw it before reading the manga. Both also get repetitive, so I would only recommend it if you like "t3h funneh." Though, it does introduce a lot of odd Japanese things.

On that note I do not recommend to people Ika Musume--"Squid Girl"--which I found hilarious given some of the odd subjects--like a clearly lesbian character--but it is like a Star Trek Classic fan trying to justify "I AM KIRAK!!" Still, I find some of the silly humor, particularly when they allow the animators to "have fun" really clever.

I found, yes, Inuyasha surprisingly good for a show that targeted "the kids" and especially "young adults." Wisely, they stopped the anime and waited for Takahashi to finish the manga rather than vomit up some stupid ending: see Gantz, The Japanese Original Full Metal Alchemist but NOT Tokyo Ghoul.

I would have highly recommended both the manga and anime of the infamous Death Note save it became clear the author had no idea "where to go." So he sort of makes his Genius a complete idiot in the end to end it. It would be like if in The Usual Suspects Agent Kuyan suddenly stops Verbal and "Mr. Kobayashi" in the car with a "Ha! HA!HA! Chortle!" In a way, it is why I hate A Few Good Men--Sorkin is so fucking over-rated--because The Jack Colonel would NEVER have cracked knowing he has "Danny's" balls in his hand. It is a slapped-on happy ending.

One of my favorites Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni--"When the[Higurashi--Ed.]y Cry"--I would recommend but it requires a bit of patience to deal with the story changing frequently during the series. Not everyone will appreciate it, but if you like "soul crushing," the end of one sequence makes Schindler's List seem like a light comedy.

Anyways, it depends on what one is looking for. I tend to enjoy horror since the stories tend to be more "serious." But then, everyone's taste sucks Bruce Jenner's penis but mine.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

But not lithographs?

Amateur. . . .

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Meanwhile, a student recommended Kill La Kill so . . . 頑張ってね!

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Kill la Kill cosplay anyone?

It's probably not entirely SFW if that needs to be said. :oops:
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I am glad to see the women understand the need to wear effective armor. . . .

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Homeopathic armor, Doc. The less of it there is, the more potent!!
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Somewhere I followed a link to an It Internet It Serious analysis of typical fantasy female "armor" from some nerd who I must grant cogently demonstrated that those wonderful shiny mounds would serve to direct all blows right to the poor lass' sternum resulting in either a particularly agonizing death by direct splitting of said sternum or a faster demise secondary to pulverizing her heart and lungs through concentration of all of the energy transferred by the weapon directly to her chest.

To which I responded: "Yeah . . . but . . . boobs!"

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

:hyper:

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Watching Kill La Kill.

Reminds me of Invader Zim in that the "world" simply accepts the over-the-top reaction to everything.

Doom.
______
I am enjoying the insanity: "No one would guess he's a back-alley doctor!"
______
Per the discussion above, I like that the explanation for the "armor" is that the creators--the respective characters' fathers--"were perverts."
______
One of the best and prolific voice actors with an actual voice range plays her clothes. :hyper:
______
Kiryūin Satsuki's Mom™ definitely got it on! :shock:

--J.D.
Last edited by Doctor X on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

At lunch today a colleague of mine who is much more into this stuff was talking about a new anime called Yuri!!! on Ice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_on_Ice
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32995/Yuri_on_Ice

Female director, lots of homoerotic humor.
Reeling from his crushing defeat at the Grand Prix Finale, Yuuri Katsuki, once Japan's most promising figure skater, returns to his family home to assess his options for the future. At age 23, Yuuri's window for success in skating is closing rapidly, and his love of pork cutlets and aptitude for gaining weight are not helping either.

However, Yuuri finds himself in the spotlight when a video of him performing a routine previously executed by five-time world champion, Victor Nikiforov, suddenly goes viral. In fact, Victor himself abruptly appears at Yuuri's house and offers to be his mentor. As one of his biggest fans, Yuuri eagerly accepts, kicking off his journey to make it back onto the world stage. But the competition is fierce, as the rising star from Russia, Yuri Plisetsky, is relentlessly determined to defeat Yuuri and win back Victor's tutelage.
As I'm sure the Anime nerds here already know, "Yuri" is a genre of manga for women (mainly) featuring gay male romance plots.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

No, but thank you for revealing your expertise on the subject.

Not . . . that there is anything wrong with that.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Oops, I got it wrong, Yuri is about lesbian relationships:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_(genre)

Yaoi is maybe what I was thinking of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaoi

(I still suspect some sort of double-entendre in the title. Maybe they chose Yuri because that works as a boy's name, in both Japanese and Russian, but not Yaoi.)
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I could post hiLARiOUS anime demotivators to instruct you like:

At least in the usually tentacleless anime I watch, yuri is more accepted, but it is still often treated humorously. Usually, one is "interested" and the other is all blushing/denying. Probably depends on the general age range and whether or not the damn thing is basically porn! One silly one I mention above has a clear lesbian character the main character completely rebuffs.

Another, with the homicidal yandere:

has what appears to be a lesbian character, but she is probably just obsessed with sexuality--if that makes any damn sense. BUT, it has a clearly yaoi character, very clear, but he is not "flaming," nor is he made an object of humor. He is not a cross-dressing "trap."

On that note, you might recall--all jokes aside--I asked about current Japanese attitudes towards homosexuality awhile ago. I asked that because it seems that the issue is less of a joke in anime, at least, than it was in the past. A bit like in US television "gays" were "flamers" and objects of sitcoms unless you were in the very progressive All in the Family.

Oddly enough, the author of AoT tried to play on it. He has revealed that, yes, that one character everyone suspects is a lesbian is, in fact, a lesbian. The "comic" satire of the series "Attack Junior High School" jokes about it. What he has not, as far as I know, made clear whether or not the "object of her affection" ever returned the favor. He strongly suggests she did--basically left the possibility open.

Another character he tried for a long time to deny having a sexuality. In Japanese, as you know, you can avoid it since verbs and the like do not have masculine/feminine and people refer to others by name rather than by pronouns as we do in English. The problem is the character is drawn very female and the anime had to make decisions, so by default he has come to accept that "she" is a "she" and even allowed "her" to have an infatuation but hoped readers would suspect, for awhile, that "she" was a "he" in love with another man!

All that aside, I have yet to encounter, beyond that one reveal Future Diary, a yaoi character dealt with male homosexuality positively beyond the "if I fuck you, I am dominant." Having written that, an interesting series I mentioned above--Shinseki Yori--From a New World--had as part of the story a way to prevent violence by channeling it into sexuality. So teens start exploring sexuality without any complex or moral prevention. A main character has both lesbian and heterosexual encounters--not all sex and, no, not depicted too graphically--but chooses to marry a character who lost his male lover. What is interesting is that, from the author's depiction, none of this is suppose to appear "strange."

Other than that, I do not see the yaoi getting much acceptance. I have read there is a "girl/woman" genre devoted to yaoi which reads a lot like guys reading lesbian porn. Not interested.

Yes, I am avoiding work, why do you ask?

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Not having seen any of this myself but relying on my colleague's description, the romance in this one seems to be mainly platonic, with the two Yuris competing for the coach who they idolize. I don't think it falls to the level of porn, but there's a lot of winking about what they really feel I guess. Anyway, seems to have decent ratings.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Have not seen it, too busy watching Kill La Kill, which has more subtext and double-entendre than you can shake a stick at.

Let me rephrase that.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

How dare you wear that slutty uniform! How depraved! How deviant! I will mold you! Mold you into a proper female high school student!!

Reflect on your wicked ways!!!! :x
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

"You perpetual frown caterpillar eyebrowed bitch!"

The series brings an entire new and disturbing dimension to Your Mom :shock:

--J. "Aww! If I was Ten Years Younger, I'd Wear You!" D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Wow.

Just redid the "Fredo! I know it was you! You broke my heart! YOU BROKE MY HEART!" scene:

The Mom™ is done by a phenomenal voice-actress who really makes her fantastic evil in the "doing my best for you" sense.

--J. "I Don't Want Anything to Happen to Him . . . While My Mother's Alive!" D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I'm up through about Ep. 14 myself. They aren't shy about using regional stereotypes. Those Osakans sure do love their money!
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I kind of suspected. I imagine their accents are a joke as well. Figured I would not pester you will explanations.

Thanks for letting me know where you are so I can steal your tentacle hentai I do not spoil what is happening.

Fan Service: for those paying attention, this refers to showing racy scenes of characters and the like to "please" viewers. This series appears to satire that concept very nicely. See reference to the cosplay/uniforms above.

Another infamous series School Days based on a game of sorts, went full tragic doom/gloom to the extent they held the last episode after some girl killed a few people in school or something. The creators did OVAs--sort of "direct to video"--designed to be light-hearted and satirical. It "recast" the female characters as super heroes. When "activated" they descend these long chutes which causes them to fight to keep their skirts from riding up.

"Why do we have to do this?!" they scream.

"Fans want it," the disembodied voice of their female "boss" tells them.

They arrive in costumes that would barely cover anything--"Fans want it!"--only to find themselves standing on a mirror. As they scream jumping around to prevent reflections of their unmentionable bits--"Why do you have a mirrored floor?!"

"Fans want it."

I think I mentioned when Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex did a few "fan service" references.

Again, that is a comic/satire of their otherwise serious series. Kill La Kill appears to be playing up a lot of those themes.

Yes, I am avoiding work again. . . .

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Wow.

Whatever it was the writers and animators ingested, it needs to be considered a weapon of mass-destruction.

--J. "You Have to Move On from Sailor Uniforms!" D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I'm up through episode 21 now. Just keeps getting weirder. :D
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

The article I linked over at the Japanese Original Thread gives a great discussion on how the series plays with "fan service" as a commentary on modern anime.

I am not sure if you have made it by now to the obvious "Big Reveal" about the relationship between the two main characters so:
Spoiler:
I love how when Ryuko Matoi realizes Satsuki is her older sister she cannot actually call her "nee-san"--姉さん--and instead stutters "n-n-n-n-n-n-n" until told by her sister sarcastically not to injure herself.

Hey! Internet!!

[youtube][/youtube]

For Those Not in the Know, traditionally, families use these titles--older brother is "older brother" forever as is "younger sister." Elder may call the younger by name but not usually the other way around. In another series, a pissed-off younger sister screams お姉さんの馬鹿--oneesan no baka--where the "o" is an extra-honorific so, literally, "stupid honorable older sister!"
Now that you are well acquainted with You Mom, do you keep hearing Hanji from AoT?

[youtube][/youtube]

--J. "You've Got that Crazy Look in Your Eyes!" D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Well the ending was super lame. Oh well.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Yeah . . . the problem is "where were they going to go?"

Could be worse . . . could have been Neon Genesis Evangeleon. . . .

--J.D.