The Weeb Report

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The Weeb Report

Post by Doctor X »

I think it was intentional. It starts as the Wandering Hero God Who Does Not Speak but with a Gruff [Get on with it!--Ed.] Kills Everyone. So you are correct: it looks like the opening of Cerebus minus the satire . . . and latent misogyny. Same all the way to the Band of Hawks. Everyone is a trope. Back in the 80s-90s, long-haired feminine boys were "a thing" in manga/anime. Plucky kids who are somehow bad-ass. Blah blah.

Then it gets into why they are all so fucked up. All of the characters are fascades . . . façades . . . fake. Looking at Guts when we see him "now" as the same character from the beginning, he is very different.

So yeah.

--J.D.

P.S. I loved how Luca kept cheerfully calling Big Ass Skull Helmet Dealer of All That Hurts "Death God"--死神.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Yeeeeaahhh . . . and Ghost in the Shell as well. Cowboy Bebop is still possible if you just do not notice the Moon.

Though one of my favorite spoofs on that is the "President from 1980" in Amazon Women on the Moon:

[youtube][/youtube]

at 0:10.

Akira is probably one of the best over-rated films/anime and, yes, manga ever made. Fantastic animation before computers made it all easy. One of the reasons I enjoyed the Japanese Original Berserk for the animation. It is a cartoon. I know I am watching a cartoon. I do not mind if it looks drawn.

But the plot Image

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Incidentally,

Knew I liked her!

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Saw a new anime movie on Netflix the other day. Called Blame!

Not bad. Probably not exactly untrod territory, but it's not a huge investment in time. Humans trying to survive in a post-apocalypse where machines have taken over. Lots of cliches, but visually interesting I guess. I might give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6574146/

[youtube][/youtube]

Kinda reminds me of a spaghetti Western movie trope actually.
Where a mysterious hero rides into town one day and saves the town and then rides off into the sunset at the end. Without the sunset, but metaphorically that.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare (probably Socrates originally)
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Tentacles?

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

[youtube][/youtube]

I do not totally agree with butt-hurt fans upset with the 3-D imaging and the like in the 2016 series. It follows the manga pretty well, so be happy. Otherwise, return to the 90s and wonder what happened.

Apparently, due to complaints/butt-hurt from 2016, the 2017 production is using more traditional 2-D--like the still you posted. So points for listening to fans.

Either way, it is the story and characters which makes it a good series.

Okay . . . and boobs.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

On a recommendation I saw Shiki. Starts a generic "vampire" anime--it is considered one of the best if you do not want to watch Huge Wandering Crabacular Creature Things with British Accents from the Blood series.

Cons:
  • 1. Seems not to be sure what it wants to be.
    2. Fucking looks like you are in Higurashi. Hinamizawa is based on a real place for realistic shots in the [Japanese--Ed.] Original Sound Novels which then got extended for the anime. This looks so similar you expect
    Image to show up. They even have a "Vampire Rika" but, sadly, no "Vampire Hanyū.
Pro:
  • 1. It handles the various arising moral ambiguities very nicely. This includes experimenting on/torturing "vampires" to figure out how to kill them while kidnapping children to use as easy prey for new "Risen." One guy--before dispatching a vampire--turns to another and quips, "Don't tell anyone, but I never liked this guy!"
    2. ANYONE can--and will--die. Sometimes not Epic Spectacular as in Main Characters having long soliloquies and otherwise heroic ends.
    3. Sympathy for no one: the humans are as vain, selfish, prejudiced, and all of that as any. The ones that become vampires retain that.
A 3-4 out of 5 on the Anax Scale[Tm.--Ed.]. It gets better and some nice side episodes which explain events from another perspective are nicely done.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Recently saw a new Netflix movie called Okja.
http://imdb.com/title/tt3967856/
It's not anime but it sort of has an anime vibe to it.
Korean director, about half of the dialog is Korean too.

It's sort of a mishmash of elements from different movies. It's a bit of Babe, a bit of Tottoro, some Jason Bourne scenes and some dystopian future stuff (Soylent Green maybe, although I have to confess that I never saw Soylent Green).

And there's some animal rights propaganda and anti-GMO propaganda thrown in. On the plus side there's some nice looking country scenes.

It's definately far from perfect but I'd say if you have Netflix you should probably check it out. Comes in at just about 2 hours. Oh, and they have one of those throwaway scenes that comes after the closing credits but it's hardly worth waiting for.

Maybe 3 out of five.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Jigoku Shōjo--地獄少女--returns with beautiful full HD animation to ferry your grudges into damnation!

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

It is 2007 . . . the Patriots are fucking UNSTOPPABLE but I am not so sure about the Red Sox. Do they have the pitching to, say, beat a resurgent Cleveland? Oh well . . . a World Series in 2004 makes up for it given the Patriots will just walk into a FOURTH SUPER BOWL WIN!!111!!

シグルイ--Shigerui--is based on a fantastic manga which is, in turn, based on old stories/novels. As an anime it tells the complicated story of two rivals in a sword school. To make it simple:

Pros:
  • 1. Adult: utterly. No "lolis." No "chibis." Absolutely zero "comic relief."
    2. History: based in history revolving a "bad son" of the Tokugawa clan--see Shōgun--who, with the power of his name and position, started indulging in his lethal vices until, finally, someone took notice. Very accurate in this respect. All the way down to the method of "punishment."
    3. Characters: no "good guys" and the "bad guys" have a reason for what they do. Everyone is "bad" in a way in that they look towards themselves for disastrous results. The "good guy" makes some very Japanese decisions which makes him appear "the bad guy." To explain, with a bit of a T3h Sp01l4g3z but does not ruin the series:
    Spoiler:
    He is usurped by a rival to be "the Heir" to the school. Crazy teacher then demands, publicly, that said rival have sex with his daughter, his only child. He--"good guy"--join in holding her down even though he knows it is "wrong." Rival is "bad guy," but even he refuses and insists on a marriage ceremony and all of that for the daughter's honor. So "the bad guy" behaves "good" while the "good guy" simply follows along because demented "Sensei said!" which would have been the public rape of a girl. Something said girl does not fail to notice.

There are other examples of "unquestioned loyalty" yielding ghastly results. From the manga comes the quote I posted about how feudalism involves a few sadists and many, many masochists.
    4. Production: very well done. Follows the manga and adds to it/tweeks it appropriately without changing it. Visually fantastic. Great music.
Cons:
  • 1. None.
    2. Zero.
    3. Your Mom.
Adult so blood, doom, and the like within reason. Some called it "graphic" but compared to modern fare--"can you BELIEVE Matt Ryan dropped back to PASS?!!"--it is appropriate. This is NOT usual "tween anime" but it is also not "lets put in violence and sex because THAT means 'adult!'" Very good story. There is a reason to sympathize even with "the Bad Guys" just as there is a reason to judge the "Good Guys."

Sorry, Anax, no tentacles. Image So only 4 out of 5 on the Anax Scale.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I started watching Psycho-Pass on Netflix.

No English subtitles unfortunately. That's one of the disadvantages of life in Japan. Maybe over there you can find a version with subtitles. But it looks very good after the first episode.

For me, it's a bit frustrating because I just can't understand it like a native speaker could. Enough to get the general feeling but I know there's a lot I'm missing.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

You know . . . you can get it subtitled . . . without, perhaps, a visit from 警察官:

Have not watched it because sort of mixed reviews particularly with regards to the second season. Instead, I got hooked on one I did not recommend--"Assassination Classroom"--since it plays on a lot of "in-jokes" and tropes like "traps" and "Noble Sensei" and all of that. For example, a Anime Level Buxom is Serbian with a name that ends in "vich" which no one can pronounce so, to her irritation, they just call her "Bich Sensei"--this despite her linguistic lessons and attempts to teach "v" to the Japanese. The anime happily explains that, yes, "bich" is the way Japanese say "Bitch" with a hyper-formal dictionary definition of "Bitch."

With the "trap," who does not act like a trap other than hair, body shape, and female voice actress, in a swimming scene all of the girls pause, "oh, you're not a girl? Huh."

I find it funny with easier Japanese to listen to . . . more or less. I would not recommend it, though, unless one likes such self-referential humor including the "Gendo-esque" principle with Asshole Son whose office is so large and empty it is bigger than the damn school.

They do due some nice take-offs on English in anime including an American "super hero/action hero" movie with stupid plot twists.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Re: Suck it Anax!

Post by Doctor X »

Anaxの馬鹿

in full 1080p! :De_Bunk:

く?

ごめなさい。

憩ってください。

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

許さない!!!  :x

:notsure: :freedom:
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

WC?

It's my guilty
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

"Water Closet?"

--Yayoi Kunizuka
--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

"The devil's proof"

I like the concept. I think that all skeptics know about it, but I wasn't familiar with the term before.
Probatio diabolica (Latin: "devil's proof", "diabolical proof") is a legal requirement to achieve an impossible proof. Where a legal system would appear to require an impossible proof, the remedies are reversing the burden of proof, or giving additional rights to the individual facing the probatio diabolica.

The Devil's Proof is the logical dilemma that while evidence will prove the existence of something, the lack of evidence fails to disprove it.

In essence, the opposing statement's lack of proof makes the statement true in some sense. This connects with the idea that, while substantial evidence may prove the devil's existence, there is no evidence that denies the devil's existence; therefore, one cannot deny the devil's existence.

For example, one party might patent a process for manufacturing an item. Another party might then make the item. The patent-holder would normally have to show that the patented process had been improperly used; this is a probatio diabolica, since, on the face of it, the patent-holder can't prove which process was actually used, which could render the patent useless. Two possible solutions exist:

the burden of proof is reversed by presuming that the second manufacturer has improperly used the patented process, unless he/she demonstrates that he/she has used some other process; or
the patent-holder is given discovery rights, enabling him/her to obtain information from the second manufacturer on the process actually used
Since absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, you can't prove that the devil doesn't exist, or many other ridiculous claims.

You can't prove that Bigfoot doesn't exist, except by reversing the burden of proof. In this case, absence of evidence actually is evidence of absence. Because, if it existed, surely somebody would have found it by now. It's just as likely that Orcs, Elves or Dragons exist, but somehow nobody has ever found one. It's inconceivable that such a thing could exist without leaving some sort of evidence of its existence.

Randi's "Million Dollar Challenge" was another kind of "devil's proof". Because it's near impossible to affirmatively disprove the existence of "paranormal" or "supernatural" phenomena, he offered up a big prize for anyone who could offer affirmative proof of its existence.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I can't wait for the newest version of Hungry Chicken to come out!!
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I think it does a nice job of staying within the society it creates. The heroine--who is actually a heroine in she is a normal young woman, not some super-hero or genius or destined to spread her legs for The Real Hero--is unable to consider a different society. She does not want chaos, but she is not sure how to "fix" the problem of a society cowed into accepting the system as it is.

So she does her best and, sometimes, that best is "not good enough."

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Finished watching Psycho-Pass 2 earlier today. Now I'm watching the Psycho-Pass movie. The Engrish is a bit annoying.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Is that the "live action?"

But, yeah, Japanese trying to do English is about as funny as English trying to do Japanese.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Doctor X wrote:Is that the "live action?"

But, yeah, Japanese trying to do English is about as funny as English trying to do Japanese.

--J.D.
No, the one I'm watching is Anime. If there is a live action one, I didn't see it among the choices. I only got about halfway through before my bed time. It seems to be OK, if you you can get past the Engrish parts. There's a fictional Southeast Asian country where the language is Japanese English.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Hrmmmm . . . I will have to look for it. I am aware of an "extended" redo of the first season to give some more background to characters and all of that. I have not watched it yet.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycho-Pass:_The_Movie

I found it at the same site which you recommended to me.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Ah . . . but did you find the fixed version?

[youtube][/youtube]

they used the Funmation English Dub for the American characters so those who are suppose to be speaking English as natives speak English rather than Engrish.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Doctor X wrote:Ah . . . but did you find the fixed version?

[youtube][/youtube]

they used the Funmation English Dub for the American characters so those who are suppose to be speaking English as natives speak English rather than Engrish.

--J.D.
Alas, no. Wasn't aware of it until I started watching.

It's fine I guess. Makes for some unintentional comedy. Do you plan to watch this one too?
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

hehe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Finished watching the movie last night. Can't really say it was a great movie. It was OK. Not a "must see" though. The villains from the two series were more interesting.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Will get to it, I am finishing up a few other things. Both kind of silly so I am not sure I can recommend them.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I am enjoying the movie--why does a union of Southeast Asian countries all speak English? I suspect because it is harder to find voice actors who can speak Chinese/Thai/Burmaneseygo.

The English dub correction is the way to go. The two principle characters trying to speak English is . . . well . . . stereotypically painful!

Anyways, I am liking the direction the story goes. Our Heroine is still a slave of her society, her Cunt Underling is still a Cunt, her Cunt Boss is still a Cunt, a lot of people are happy to force a lot of other people into what is effectively slavery, and the Two Lesbians are still hot.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

いぬや[駄目!--Ed.] Inuyashiki by the same author of Gantz.

Basically, the manga is about a man by the same name who is older than he looks--as his doctors tell him--who lives his final day as if he is in Ikkuru--the Kurosawa classic many consider as close to a religious experience one can get without any religion. His daughter and grandkids barely tolerate him. He is a mouse.

Then he is diagnosed with stomach cancer. The Japanese Original doctor offhandedly gives him three months to live. He tries to tell his family, but each individual finds something more important to do than listen to him.

He finds a dog--"inu"--so, yes, "Inuyasha" is "Dog Demon" basically.

He bonds with dog, and in his despair, hugs him in a field crying as he notices a well-dressed teenager also standing in the field.

And that is when the UFO accidentally lands on them.
Alien Voice One: Damn, what happened?

Alien Voice Two: We landed on two of them. What do we do?

Alien VO: Replace them and get the hell out of here!

Alien VT: But we've only got assault types.

Alien VO: Not my problem.
The old man awakes.

Things are not quite the same. Evidences:

[youtube][/youtube]

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Looks interesting! :)
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

It is, but unlike Gantz there is no comic relief such as Gantz deducting points because a character's "tits are still too big." It is a bit like Psycho-Pass in that respect, though PP had one or two moments of humor without "playing for yucks."

Good animation. Lots of references to other manga/anime. One character's room is decked in Gantz posters, and another is a huge fan of One Piece--which I have never seen because . . . why?

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

"Let's pretend we didn't see that."
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

A certain scientific railgun

There, I said it. Bastards.

It's my guilty.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

本当に?

冗談ね?!
For years I have heard of "railgun" references, but what I saw looked like "magical girls with visors and . . . BOOM!" pap.

So are you saying it is actually good? If you:

you will anger the Locative Death Goddess:

Why you make Locative Death Goddess cry, Anax

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I thought it looked stupid too, and it probably is stupid. It's every cliche anime trope rolled into one. Yet, somehow, I am enjoying it.

(BTW, it's very heavy on the lez vibes. Info for "your friend" of course.)
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

At the risk of exposing my 馬鹿, do you have a title? As I have indicated, despite my demeanor, I do not watch a ton of anime.

There seems to be a greater acceptance of yuri. I do not know if that actually reflect Japanese accepetance--that something is acceptable on television does not mean it actually is, as in 'murica--but I have noticed a trend: "girls" exploring their sexuality seems acceptable for the male viewers. The "joke" is one girl is lesbian and another is not AND HILARITY follows.

This "trope" was in the young-adult Ika Musume [Squid Girl--Ed.] where a clearly lesbian girl gets repeatedly rebuffed. However, and this point is "different" from earlier series, she is not ridiculed for being a lesbian. In the manga of Watamote--私がモテのは[Stop it!--Ed.], the main character declares some girls "lesbo" who are not. Yet, she, and they, are curious about their bodies and sexuality.

Move a few years to the more modern satire somewhat based on Watamote or at least acting as a homage to it and many other series, there is a clearly lesbian character who is not at all ridiculed for it. It is never brought up. No one is embarrassed by it. Again, that may be simply entertainment accepting lesbians over homosexuals, though there is a teacher who is openly bisexual. Neither of his proclivities are made an object of ridicule.

Of course, what is accepted in movies and television does not mean accepted in current society.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

The English title is A Certain Scientific Railgun

And in Japanese とある科学の超電磁砲. Apparently originally a manga which began in 2007.

Became available on Japanese Netflix within the last month or so and I just started watching it today. Had my house to myself for a glorious few hours. Wife and kids were all out for different reasons, and I decided to watch the first episode just to see if it was any good. Ended up watching five episodes.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Tentacles?

--J.D.