What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Grammatron

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Grammatron » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:11 am

Yeah I caught that too, it was well used.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:14 am

House of Cards, American Rip-Off Edition, Season 6

Well, Hollywood virtue signaled and excised Kevin Spacey. How they did it I cannot make out but from the look of things they kept scenes he wasn't in then wrote a script to somehow tie things together. The results are what you'd expect.

I have no idea whats going on. I know that is true for me generally but this is even more so.

Spoiler:

Who the fuck are these rich fuckers that appeared out of nowhere? And the President is scared of them? Really?

And how is it that the President waltzes around Washington without so much as a fair thee well? And what the goldarn blazes is she doing with herself that she meets with no one and does nothing? It's like the President has zero responsibilities aside from recouping some of the investment for the backers of the show.

And stop talking to the camera, Clare :x

People are getting knocked off. I have no idea why or who is doing it.

The VP just interrupted her "run" thru the midnight DC streets to show her the body of a guy she killed. In the back of a presidential SUV no less.

What I woulda done? Called the Secret Service (who were all around) and scream "he killed my lover, arrest this fucker and fling him in durance vile, and be right quick about it!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x

Oh yeah, she (Claire) gives orders and the men around her pepper her with questions. She has to whine at them to get things done. Bullshit. She was married to Frank for 30 years and has killed and been complicit in murder and she is really going to explain herself to a bunch of sniveling poseurs? Bullshit I say again, Bullshit!!! :x :x

How far the mighty have fallen. Not only did Kevin screw a minor, he screwed the entire audience of this travesty. :x

ETA: This review was based on watching the first three episodes. I will say that this evening, having watched thru episode 6, there is a turnaround in episode 5. Robin Wright is a good actress and she basically carries it from that point forward. Episodes 7 & 8 tomorrow. The final sentence will be passed then. I stand by my revulsion at the first three-four episodes.

ETA: Episodes 6 & 7 were pretty good. The finale (8) was a turgid mass of God in a Machine, dead end plot points, unbelievable denouements, talking to the camera and stupidity.

This series jumped the shark back in season 4. They ripped the brits off in everything but the art of leaving gracefully.
Last edited by ed on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:34 pm

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix.

Good watch. It's 5 short stories set in the West. Some are comedies, some are tragedies, some just weird stories. There's even a musical comedy.

By the Coen brothers. I like the conceit that ties them all together: It's a book of short stories, and you see them actually turning the pages of the book between stories.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:43 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:34 pm

Good watch. It's 5 short stories set in the West. Some are comedies, some are tragedies, some just weird stories. There's even a musical comedy.

By the Coen brothers. I like the conceit that ties them all together: It's a book of short stories, and you see them actually turning the pages of the book between stories.
I was just about to post that I was about to binge on that.

While I'm binging, binge on this

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5761496/

Get Shorty.

A new take on the old movie. I give it 4.5 stars

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:28 pm

Original song from the movie.
William Shakespeare

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:48 pm

I just read that Stranger Things Season 3 has been delayed to next summer.

:hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit:

I'm 43. I might not live that long. :oldman:
Such potential!

ed

Post by ed » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:09 pm

ed wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:14 am
House of Cards, American Rip-Off Edition, Season 6

Well, Hollywood virtue signaled and excised Kevin Spacey. How they did it I cannot make out but from the look of things they kept scenes he wasn't in then wrote a script to somehow tie things together. The results are what you'd expect.

I have no idea whats going on. I know that is true for me generally but this is even more so.

Spoiler:

Who the fuck are these rich fuckers that appeared out of nowhere? And the President is scared of them? Really?

And how is it that the President waltzes around Washington without so much as a fair thee well? And what the goldarn blazes is she doing with herself that she meets with no one and does nothing? It's like the President has zero responsibilities aside from recouping some of the investment for the backers of the show.

And stop talking to the camera, Clare :x

People are getting knocked off. I have no idea why or who is doing it.

The VP just interrupted her "run" thru the midnight DC streets to show her the body of a guy she killed. In the back of a presidential SUV no less.

What I woulda done? Called the Secret Service (who were all around) and scream "he killed my lover, arrest this fucker and fling him in durance vile, and be right quick about it!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x

Oh yeah, she (Claire) gives orders and the men around her pepper her with questions. She has to whine at them to get things done. Bullshit. She was married to Frank for 30 years and has killed and been complicit in murder and she is really going to explain herself to a bunch of sniveling poseurs? Bullshit I say again, Bullshit!!! :x :x

How far the mighty have fallen. Not only did Kevin screw a minor, he screwed the entire audience of this travesty. :x

ETA: This review was based on watching the first three episodes. I will say that this evening, having watched thru episode 6, there is a turnaround in episode 5. Robin Wright is a good actress and she basically carries it from that point forward. Episodes 7 & 8 tomorrow. The final sentence will be passed then. I stand by my revulsion at the first three-four episodes.

ETA: Episodes 6 & 7 were pretty good. The finale (8) was a turgid mass of God in a Machine, dead end plot points, unbelievable denouements, talking to the camera and stupidity.

This series jumped the shark back in season 4. They ripped the brits off in everything but the art of leaving gracefully.
Finished the series. :x

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:48 am

Anaxagoras wrote:

It was fantastic, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think The Girls Who Got Rattled is my favorite.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:18 am

Grammatron wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:48 am
Anaxagoras wrote:

It was fantastic, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think The Girls Who Got Rattled is my favorite.
Yeah, I liked that one too. It takes a little while to pay off, but that last scene is pretty good.
"Mr. Arthur had no idea what he would say to Billy Knapp."
William Shakespeare

ed

Post by ed » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:47 pm

Madame Secretary. A bit edgier than the usual network fare. They really nailed the family interactions.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:00 am

As we expected, the quality of Netflix Originals took a nose dive after the abrupt investment of millions and the order was given to crank up productivity. Quantity over.....hell, fuck quality.

I was flipping through the new releases today, trying once again to find something new that is worth watching, and I found evidence that Netflix may have already hit rock bottom. Search for....if you dare....the new Nerflix Original......The Princess Switch.

Egads.

It's not only unoriginal; it's Disney level garbage.

I can't give up on Neflix just yet though. They had such good stuff for so long. I will keep searching......just like when I used to search for my soulmate amongst the dwindling sea of available young women.... long before I finally gave up and sold my soul to Mrs. Bruce.
Such potential!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:29 am

Bruce wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:00 am
As we expected, the quality of Netflix Originals took a nose dive after the abrupt investment of millions and the order was given to crank up productivity. Quantity over.....hell, fuck quality.

I was flipping through the new releases today, trying once again to find something new that is worth watching, and I found evidence that Netflix may have already hit rock bottom. Search for....if you dare....the new Nerflix Original......The Princess Switch.

Egads.

It's not only unoriginal; it's Disney level garbage.

I can't give up on Neflix just yet though. They had such good stuff for so long. I will keep searching......just like when I used to search for my soulmate amongst the dwindling sea of available young women.... long before I finally gave up and sold my soul to Mrs. Bruce.

This is the season for chick-focused Hallmark Christmas specials. And Netflix will probably crank out a few of those.

There's a general rule that 90% of everything is crap, and Netflix Originals are no exception.

Other than Stranger Things, what has been really good that was a Netflix Original?

Top 5? Top 10?

OK, there was House of Cards, which started out good, but went on for too long and got more and more unbelievable with each passing season.

ETA: Have you seen The Ballad of Buster Scruggs yet? Netflix Original I believe.
William Shakespeare

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:02 am

Yes. Loved it.

I really liked the story about the prospector. It never really crossed my mind how much work and thought goes into locating a pocket of gold with nothing but a pan and shovel.

Edited to add it is still easier to find 1 good show in 10 than to find 10 good shows in 100.
Such potential!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:03 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:29 am
ose.

There's a general rule that 90% of everything is crap, and Netflix Originals are no exception.

Other than Stranger Things, what has been really good that was a Netflix Original?

Top 5? Top 10?

Jessica Jones
MST3K: The Return (Watching the second season right now)
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:48 am

Was Dark Netflix?

Meanwhile:
Student: You should watch this like awesome movie like lesbians and social justice stuff!

Moi: I am repeatedly rewatching the Red Sox destroy the Mother-Fucking Yankees in the last ALDS.

Student: Won't that eventually get boring?

Moi: No.
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

ed

Post by ed » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:49 am

Doctor X wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:48 am
Was Dark Netflix?

Meanwhile:
Student: You should watch this like awesome movie like lesbians and social justice stuff!

Moi: I am repeatedly rewatching the Red Sox destroy the Mother-Fucking Yankees in the last ALDS.

Student: Won't that eventually get boring?

Moi: No.
--J.D.
Even better

ed

Post by ed » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:09 pm

Finished the final season of Rake. Another disappointment.

There were flashes of the old Clever Greene but it was largely a turgid, steaming mess. Not particularly witty. Clearly the writers had checked out and where only hanging around to pick up a final paycheck. Too bad it went out this way.

Things I am anticipating and hoping will not smack me in the face:

Santa Clarita Diet
Homeland
(there are more, my mind went blank)

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:17 am

I have been watching the newest season of MST3K.

Dubbed "The Gauntlet" because the schtick this season is that the SOL crew is being forced to watch the movies back to back to back. This is kind of a riff on the fact that Netflix forced them to make a few changes (such as a season of only six episodes, and making the episodes shorter in total length) to be more "Binge-able".

Last season was good, but they seem to have learned what DIDN'T work last season (the jokes were packed to close together and you could barely distinguish one voice from another) and corrected those problems. I am not thrilled with the changes foisted on them by Netflix, but I can live with them if they keep up this level of quality.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:35 am

Liking Buster.

Favorite character actor. Absolute scumbag in Wonderland but most remember him for saving Pete.

--J. "I Don't Think That's Pete!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:24 am

Just discovered Great News. It's a show about the weird cast of characters who run an evening news show. I know it's been done before, but this one is funny.

It is doubly surprising because Nicole Richie, of all people, is one of the funniest ones. She found her niche playing the ultimate Millenial.