What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Anaxagoras

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:41 am

Huh, that one went over my head I guess. Kill la Kill that is. Never gave it much thought until now. So what's the pun?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:35 am

Really? The "Kiru" is the same as "cutting" [切る--Ed.] as in cutting fabric. Most look at is as "Kill" ala the craptacular-worse-than-railgun Akame ga Kill--no, seriously, it sucks to levels beyond description. Basically True Detective II Level Suck--when it is referring to cutting fabric. Her "Weapon of Doom" is a pair of scissors after all.

You, of all people, alerted me to the Osaka references.

:freedom:

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:12 am

Oh, Ok. I get it. Kill becomes kiru when you write it in katakana. I just wondered if there something more to it that I was missing. Didn't think about the scissors either.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:16 pm

Anyone try out that "Black Mirror: Bandersnatch" video? They updated Netflix on most platforms to give some binary choice-based interactivity to the story. At first it appears to be a functional but simple version of Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books, those VCR or DVD games where you skip to particular time slots or chapters, or (most recently and much more elaborately) Telltale Games.

All I can say is that in true Black Mirror fashion, they break your expectations. It didn't blow my mind, but it got me thinking in odd directions. Liked it.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:21 pm

gnome wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:16 pm
Anyone try out that "Black Mirror: Bandersnatch" video? They updated Netflix on most platforms to give some binary choice-based interactivity to the story. At first it appears to be a functional but simple version of Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books, those VCR or DVD games where you skip to particular time slots or chapters, or (most recently and much more elaborately) Telltale Games.

All I can say is that in true Black Mirror fashion, they break your expectations. It didn't blow my mind, but it got me thinking in odd directions. Liked it.
I watched a bit of it. I would recommend, if you like Black Mirror, Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams. Similar, in many ways, but I liked it better.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:07 pm

I've enjoyed both.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:14 pm

Except that one episode with Steve Buscemi. That one sucked
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:27 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:14 pm
Except that one episode with Steve Buscemi. That one sucked
I think that one suffered from stuffing in too many speculative elements in a short story. It's harder to identify with the characters and their motivations when the world described is too different from what we're familiar with, unless there's been a lengthier opportunity for world-building.

I can think of more "unlesses" because any rule can sometimes be broken effectively by a writer, but this one does not fall under "effectively".
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:49 am

DO NOT BOTHER with:

Holy Python Circus

It is suppose to be a depiction of the controversy over The Life of Brian. Unfortunately, they try to "be Python"--never try to Be Python! Comes off as an SNL sketch.

The sad part is, as better documentaries demonstrate what with people protesting films they never see, it is a very interesting story. Those who you have seen the infamous "debate" between Cleese, Palin, Malcolm Mugeridge and Some Flaming Bishop would briefly enjoy their depiction. Infamous character actor Michael Cochrane has the fatuous hypocrite Mugeridge down to his effected "received accent."

Which is the shame. For a moment, it was serious. It could have been a good depiction.

But it was not.

Apparently the Pythons did not mind this depiction save Cleese. This makes sense. They rather openly admit that they base him on his Basil Fawltey character which rather does discredit to him. John Cleese is not Basil Fawltey. John Cleese left the show Monty Python because he felt it had run its course. They did one more season and agreed that he was right. None of that comes through. Trying to "ape" Python rather insults them.

Shame, really.

Ni!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:45 pm

re. Good Place

Jumped the shark early in season 2. Season 3 stupid.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:48 pm

season 3 was the best of them. good ending.

ed

Post by ed » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:10 pm

Stick it in a freezer, Lister.

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:03 pm

Sorry ed, you're objectively wrong here.

Minus 10 points.
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:33 pm

While I didn’t like season 3 as much as the previous seasons, I would say the shark remains unjumped. It isn’t even out of its pen yet and the motorboat hasn’t even started

ed

Post by ed » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:43 pm

Cute little vignettes with a perky blond and a Whoopie Goldberg cast-off do not a show make.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:28 pm

Whoopie Goldberg cast-off? Are we talking about the same show? I can think of no one who fits that description.

ed

Post by ed » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:03 pm

Ooooooooh ... you are a younun ain't cha?

Wallllllll pull up a stump and attend, you'll larn somethin'

Yessirre they were an item. That is till old ted thought he was funny

Ol black Whoopie saw no humor in that whatsofucking ever.

Now Ted is on Good Place

The end.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:20 pm

Ah. I had forgotten they were a thing in the '80s.

Still, I think Ted Danson's character is the best part of the show

ed

Post by ed » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:41 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:20 pm
Ah. I had forgotten they were a thing in the '80s.

Still, I think Ted Danson's character is the best part of the show
The blond chick is pretty funny. She'd fit in well here.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:45 pm

I just get a kick out of the overall chemistry between the various members of the group