What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Grammatron

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Grammatron » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:00 pm

ed wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:39 pm
Grammatron wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:24 pm
True Detective Season 3 is the "best" and most chilling simulator of dementia.

Goddamn thing laid a turn on my tv set.

WTF was that ending? Why the drama over the girl? Nothing berger.

This is the hollywood equivilent to me falling for freezing my disk drive :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Well...
Spoiler:
That's the point. It was a relatively pedestrian crime; a freak accident causing the boy to die. The town went crazy trying to imagine all kinds of conspiracy theories which led to more death and lives being destroyed and ruined. The whole town evaporated as a result of several botched investigation where everyone just wanted the whole thing to go away rather than find the truth.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:35 am

Nononononono

Turd. Period.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:07 am

Grammatron wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:00 pm
Well...
Spoiler:
That's the point. It was a relatively pedestrian crime; a freak accident causing the boy to die. The town went crazy trying to imagine all kinds of conspiracy theories which led to more death and lives being destroyed and ruined. The whole town evaporated as a result of several botched investigation where everyone just wanted the whole thing to go away rather than find the truth.
It is not a "great" series as I argued before. I liked that it alluded to the first series, with the "spiral" and the "dolls" which proved a wed hewwing [Stop that.--Ed.]. As you say, it was a simple case of a daughter losing her mind, her father supporting her, which screwed "little people."

But there is a weird sense of justice. Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer paid the mother. Did he have her killed? His henchman probably had the father killed, only to be executed by The Detectives. The Indian Native American managed to kill all of the racists after him. And even The Boy who liked The Girl ended up with The Girl in the end.

Still, it was not as good as the Japanese original series because the two detectives never really demonstrated a relationship. So when the One Guy gets demoted, and the Other complains about their friendship . . . were they ever friends? Where did that happen?

However, I did like that they never answered what happened between the One Guy and his Author Wife. It is clear that their relationship was always rocky. The last episode was nice about that in that he kicked her out before marrying her. But what happened later? Did they get divorced? Did she die before that? Nice that it is not resolved and it is clear that that One Guy carries the guilt of it into his dementia.

This, of course, means the next season will star Rob Schneider and Rosanne. . . .
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:42 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:07 am
However, I did like that they never answered what happened between the One Guy and his Author Wife. It is clear that their relationship was always rocky. The last episode was nice about that in that he kicked her out before marrying her. But what happened later? Did they get divorced? Did she die before that? Nice that it is not resolved and it is clear that that One Guy carries the guilt of it into his dementia.
--J.D.
Spoiler:
I thought they did, in a way.

After the Hoyt meeting he and his wife have a conversation where he sort of "grows up" and realizes certain things about himself. They have a reconciliation of sorts about what this case has done to their lives. They alluded to the fact they have moved past this case and on with their lives by showing her teaching at Arkansas Uni while he was working as head of security. Some time after that she dies from cancer. But he always remembers her in the best way, as shown by the fact that in his visions she is wearing the same outfit she wore when he proposed to her.

IMO

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:46 pm

Not very happy with The Expanse Season 3.
Spoiler:
They killed off their best character in Season 2 and brought him back as a gibbering space ghost in Season 3.

They gave their best characters very little screen time in Season 3 and focused most of their attention on the two worst characters and two new shitty characters.

Neither Captain Racoon nor Sea Connery wannabe could maintain a fake accent to save their lives. What the hell is that Belter accent supposed to be? Jamaican? Scottish? Cocknie? Captain Racoon just sounds like she has a soar throat an upset stomach. I suddenly could find my remote when she started singing whoa-is-me songs with Captain 007. Ugh. Must find mute button!

And WTF is up with the proto-molecule story line? Did they get new writers who decided to trash everything? Infectious alien virus that turns people into energy sucking Metroid monsters? Nah. Not anymore.

Instead, the proto molecule is going to errupt from Venus as a ghostly space jellyfish and turns itself into a mysterious solar-system-destroying interdimentional ring that will set us up for multiple plot devices for season 4.

And I was sooooooo hoping that the mousy space mormon would die. Alas.

Not sure if I want to see Season 4, unless they are planning to kill off 007, Captain racoon, and space mormon in the first episode. That's the only way that I can forgive them for Season 3.

And that's about all I have to say about that.
Such potential!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:51 am

That is one of the critical parts they retain from the books.

As expected, they simplify, change characters, and add characters, but the detective being a "ghost" is a very important part.

The scene in the beginning is also from the books. They do a very good job with it. They have to change characters in the third season--Drummer is not at all like that, and she is a minor character until later books--but it is like GoT.

Watch those corners!
--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:58 am

Tabloid.

A documentary by the famous Errol Morris about the Before Most of Our Time scandal of "the Beauty Queen and the Manacled Mormon." Highly recommend it. I do not wish to spoil the details.

--J.D.

ed

Post by ed » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:50 am

Grammatron wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:42 pm
Doctor X wrote:
--J.D.
Spoiler:

After the Hoyt meeting he and his wife have a conversation where he sort of "grows up" and realizes certain things about himself. They have a reconciliation of sorts about what this case has done to their lives. They alluded to the fact they have moved past this case and on with their lives by showing her teaching at Arkansas Uni while he was working as head of security. Some time after that she dies from cancer. But he always remembers her in the best way, as shown by the fact that in his visions she is wearing the same outfit she wore when he proposed to her.

IMO
Spoiler:
OK. Slice of life got it. The entire thing was based on what? That the doper mom gave her kid a better life and that the brother was accidentally killed? Six episodes to resolve that? Jesus it is almost .... French. And the detective "grows up"??? WTF are you lot on about? And the Hoyt guy arises, ominously, then fucking vanishes and adds what to the plot exactly? Another red herring?
Here is my review: There is no There there.

I know you all want to believe that it was the turn of True Detective to excel, again. But you are going to just have to suck it up.
Last edited by ed on Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:39 pm

ed wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:50 am
Grammatron wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:42 pm
Doctor X wrote:
--J.D.
Spoiler:

IMO
OK. Slice of life got it. The entire thing was based on what? That the doper mom gave her kid a better life and that the brother was accidentally killed? Six episodes to resolve that? Jesus it is almost .... French. And the detective "grows up"??? WTF are you lot on about? And the Hoyt guy arises, ominously, then fucking vanishes and adds what to the plot exactly? Another red herring?

Here is my review: There is no There there.

I know you all want to believe that it was the turn of True Detective to excel, again. But you are going to just have to suck it up.
I don't know what you're so angry about Mr. Spoileverythingforeveryone.
Spoiler:
Hoyt made himself very clear when you combine his appearance with one-eyed dude's confession. Hoyt was away on a safari when the boy was accidentally killed. When he returns and sees the FUBAR situation his daughter caused he uses his power and influence to make the whole thing go away. When Julie grows up and runs away it eventually causes Hoyt's daughter to go completely mad and commit suicide. Later, when he meets up with Hays, he tells him that he pretty much know he murdered his head of security. But he also is tired of this cover up and if Detective drops trying to solve what happened to Julie AND stop looking for her, he won't pursue the other murder. Dropping everything and moving on.

There was a grand conspiracy, cover up and such. But it was due to DA wanting a close and Hoyt wanting the whole thing to go away for the sake of his daughter.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:21 pm

Spoiler:
I would not be surprised if Hoyt realized the Security Dude killed the Dad and figured "eye-for-an-eye." He was, as you suggest, just a threat card for Hoyt. Of course, Hoyt could not use it without opening everything up.
--J.D.

ed

Post by ed » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:02 pm

Ok OK. Can we agree that it is a turd and just move on?

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:21 am

The Death of Stalin
He dies.
Spoiler:
That Guy Who Kills Mel Gibson's Children in The Patriot steals the show as Marshall Zhukov. Billy Whitelaw as Gram[Enough!--Ed.]. Michael Palin as Molotov. THAT Guy from EVERYTHING as . . . THAT Guy . . . Who Followed Stalin . . . Maybe.

Mr. Pink as Khrushchev.

Beria, played by another Venerable British Stage Actor and Comedian and Stuff, also steals the show.

Yes, it is a comedy.
--J.D.

ed

Post by ed » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:46 am

1 person dies, it is a tragedy. 10,000,000 die and it's and HBO comedy.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:35 pm

Did I mention Sex Education yet?

Brit comedy/drama. Set in a co-ed "public school". That's what they call private schools over there. Nerdy kid whose mother is a famous sex therapist (Gillian Anderson of X-Files). He's got a sassy gay black friend and a cool emo girl who he's hot for. I'm liking it so far.

https://imdb.com/title/tt7767422/
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

ed

Post by ed » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:39 pm

sassy gay black :roll:

The millennial replacement for the Rhymin' Black of the 70's-80's

Hollywood's creativity evaporates when it comes to minorities.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:25 pm

My daughter, who is learning how to be an architect, made this. It's got sound too.
William Shakespeare

ed

Post by ed » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:32 pm

I like that a lot. What is the backstory? How old is the kid? What is she doing now?

I sunk my artist/daughter in Lake Ed on principle. Hope you fare better.

eta. Tell her it's better than True Detective #3, more coherent plot for one thing.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:46 pm

22, starting last year of college next month (school years are different over here, they start in April).

She's already had a couple of nice trainee level part time gigs at some good architectural firms, so it looks promising. She's got like what they call over here a class 2 license or some such thing. You need a few years of work experience before you can take the class 1 test.

As far as the back story, that's just a little demonstration thing she did I guess to show she can use the software. I'm not sure if it was for a school project or just playing around. She showed it to me last night. I asked her to put it on vimeo or youtube or something. The modeling software is quite expensive, but there's a student version which she can use while still in college. The professional version is used by actual professional architects.
William Shakespeare

ed

Post by ed » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:04 pm

Yeah, my daughter went to RISD and they "gave" her student versions of all this software that would pauper a Saudi Prince.

I like the sense of form that she shows. It would have been cool to have worked something autobiographical into the video. Like a picture of her and her mom and dad on the desk. Could be a sig of her work for the rest of her life.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:17 pm

Nice retro fridge and stereo. And the concrete walls? Can't say I'm crazy about those due the sound reflectivity and the fact that they're cold and boring to look at. However, they will come in handy should the Big One (tm) get loose again. :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.