What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Bruce » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:42 am

Doctor X wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:06 am
You have no idea where this show is going in the second season, assuming you have finished the first.

--J.D.
Fortitude or UA?

Almost through 1st season of Fortitude. Still seems like everyone is guilty of something. Was starting to think it was going to end like Hot Fuzz, with a core group of islanders murdering undesirables so they could win the annual isolated island of the year award.
Such potential!

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:52 am

In UA, I would like to know what happened to the other 36 kids who were all spontaneously born on the same day....in a world where people don't seem to give a shit about this sort of thing and don't seem to be bothered when a man buys 7 of them and raises them a his kids personal vigilante slave army. None of the 7 have expressed the slightest interest in who their real mothers were, or why they don't have biological fathers, or why they even have super powers. Their too busy blaming their slave master for all their petty problems. Ingrates, all of them.
Such potential!

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:59 am

Fortitude

--J.D.

P.S. And to avoid t3h sp01l4g3, let me just say that Hot Fuzz is a homage to the Japanese Original The Wicker Man, which is why they were so happy to get the elderly Edward Woodward to be involved. In both cases, the village is "in" on the horror. The entire village in the case of The Wicker Man, of course.

This is different.

Finished second season. Ingrid and Petra are always fantastic.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:32 am

Finished After Life. Can't say I recommend it though. But only 6 half-hour episodes. I laughed a couple times. It's Ricky Gervais, but he spends most of it moping about.

Gonna check out this new show that just came out on Netflix here, called Love Death +Robots.

Looks like it might be worthy. I'll report back.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9561862/
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:32 pm

To: Dennis Quade
RE: Fortitude Season 2

If you can't properly fake an accent, don't try. You embarras yourself and ruin the show. You've been in the business long enough to know that. Shame on you. Don't be an idiot like your brother Randy.

-Fan of Fortitude Season 1
Such potential!

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:02 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:32 am
Finished After Life. Can't say I recommend it though. But only 6 half-hour episodes. I laughed a couple times. It's Ricky Gervais, but he spends most of it moping about.

Gonna check out this new show that just came out on Netflix here, called Love Death +Robots.

Looks like it might be worthy. I'll report back.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9561862/
When Ricky gets serious it is epic fail.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:27 pm

Dennis Quade is not faking an accent. His character is American.

If you want crazy verisimilitude, question why a doctor thinks the liver is on your left and how a New Yorker, Stanley Tucci, is a New Yorker who is also a DCI from London.

Ingrid and Petra are unimpressed.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:33 am

Maybe halfway through season 2 of Fortitude a d all the sudden....what is #4 from Umbrella Academy doing in Svalbard....and why are they showing me his penis!? :x
Such potential!

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:37 am

Doctor X wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:27 pm
If you want crazy verisimilitude, question why a doctor thinks the liver is on your left[/img]
And in the back. They said that. On TV.

Your left kidney wouldn't be impressed with that either.
Such potential!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:48 am

Bruce wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:33 am
Maybe halfway through season 2 of Fortitude a d all the sudden....what is #4 from Umbrella Academy doing in Svalbard....and why are they showing me his penis!? :x
They will get rid of it soon enough.

--J. "Bad Ball Think About What You've Done" D.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:22 am

Finished season 2.

What the hell was all that? I was hoping it would make more sense as it went, but no.

I'm starting to think that Dan might be crazy.
Such potential!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:17 am

Bruce wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:22 am
I'm starting to think that Dan might be crazy.
Sort of the point.

He is.

Completely.

Yet he has further to go.

And he is not the only one.
"'Mad?' 'MAD?!!' Is this the face of someone 'mad?!'"

--J. "He's Not Well" D.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:35 am

So I'm guessing....
Spoiler:
...the entire island has been an experiment since the 1940s, attempting to reproduce the conditions that resulted in a man that could regenerate from mortal wounds and heal from any disease....at the cost of his sanity.

I'm not getting the Shaman connection. How does this guy keep walking in and out of places with no one noticing? Why do people keep forgetting that he's a murderer? Why did he cut out the other shamans tongue and stab it with a knife in front of everyone?
Such potential!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:02 am

The Shaman's introduction is problematic. However he, like pretty much everyone, is a flawed and failed character. There may have been an experiment as you suggest, and those secondarily infected--like Hot Chick by Bend it Like Beckham--want to tear their eyes out and do. Why is not explained. The Russians may have been researching this but it got them, ultimately, nowhere other than having a lot of guys 'n dolls rendered eyeless and fucked.

The Shaman proves to be, well, useless. How he could get in, well, I think that is just some dramatic license on the part of the writers. He clearly cannot actually do anything as his waffling to Cat Stark proves: he cannot do shit for her but is happy to make up stories. So he sets up an intricate totem that does . . . nothing. He is playing the role of "shaman" and "Mr. Mysterious," but he is, like most in Fortitude, playing his role very, very, incompetently.

Thus, the "stab" was just that: him playing at being a shaman with a dash of dramatic license. And we see how quickly Sheriff Dan destroys him. He was, like many, ultimately useless.

The third season is disappointing since it is short for reasons I have been unable to ascertain. There is no indication they were cancelled in the midst of it. I suspect the creators sort of ran out of ideas. You see that at the end of Season Two: why kill Bend it Like Beckham in such a stupid fashion. "Hey, like, I'mma gonna make you jump out of a helicopter, 'kay?"

Dr. Treeves/Dr. from The Terror and Some Tough Guy have to fail to capture Sheriff Dan because . . . because . . . well . . . that would ruin things. Fortunately, Deputy Stupid happens to be around . . . because he is searching . . . for . . . something.

Which is a shame because they created a nice idea:
  • 1. Someone thaws out an ancient wasp that can infect mammals in this century.
    2. Those infected have the larvae in their parotid glands.
    3. Infected feel the need to find the secondary host so they stun said victim and expel the larvae into the bellies of the secondary host.
    4. Larvae keep alive the host . . . unless, well, you are a Mediocre Doctor Who who gets partially eaten by a dog . . . er . . . okay, that never made much sense.
    5. Secondary host eaten within by larvae until they mature into MOAR WASPS.
--J.D.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:49 am

I agree. Very interesting premise, but the writers must have run out of drugs.
Such potential!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:09 am

Season 2 of American Gods.

Half the time I have no fucking idea what the fucking fuck is going on but I am enjoying it anyway.

Also, began watching Brooklyn Nine Nine. Only on season 1, but it seems pretty funny so far.
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:24 pm

The Last Drive-in with Joe Bob Briggs just started on Shudder (kinda, he did a few one off's last year, but they were so well received that it's now a regular series). Indeterminate buckets of blood. Indeterminate numbers of breasts. Beer Cooler Fu. Five Stars. Nyarlathotep says check it out.
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:06 pm

The Highwaymen on Netflix.

It was slow but not tedious; I watched it over two days in two parts. I enjoyed the way they told the story of lawmen responsible for tracking and gunning down Bonnie and Clyde. The movie did a great job of showing the cult of personality around the gangster, while dispelling the romantic notions of the murderous rampage they embarked on.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:39 am

When I heard that Twin Peaks had a sequel season, I decided to start from the beginning and catch up. Interesting stuff. The old series shows its age, and there was an exaggerated melodrama to the acting, that was probably intentional. From a distance of a couple of decades later it is hard to distinguish from genuine overacting, if there can be called such a thing. But a few characters really stood out, and it did a good job of building up a mystery that almost seemed to make sense until the next twist.

That was the 1989 series. Then I caught the 1992 movie that was a sort of prequel, and it only seemed to muddle things up so badly that I started to think it was all some random crap the director was trolling us with. I then found that almost a whole movie's worth of unused footage was left out, so I watched that too and it actually helped a bit.

Then I got into the new 2017 season. I have to say, it benefits from more recent production and writing values. It not only continued the story in a way that held my attention better than the old, it also embellished a bunch of older mythos from the show and retroactively seemed to make it better. I generally have to say it figured out what the good parts were about the 1989 series and provided more of that. Generally happy I embarked on the project.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:49 am

Watching Love, Death, and Robots. The one episode almost broke through uncanny valley. So close. The people looked almost real except something was off about the mouths. Didn't quite move right.
Such potential!