What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Anaxagoras

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:44 am

If you like BBC nature documentaries, you'll like Our Planet on Netflix.

Not from the BBC, but they pretty much copied their style, including hiring Attenborough to narrate it.
Anyway, it has excellent nature photography.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:51 am

Watching Season 4 of Billions now. Kinda like a good soap opera I guess.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4270492/
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:11 pm

Excellent.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:25 am

I gotta say that Beyonce's new netflix special is the bomb.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:56 am

"Hello, gentlemen. Omae no inochi o morai ni kita."
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:17 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:56 am
本当に?

今、古い映画を見る。面白いだ。漫画はちょっと繰り返しの物語と思います。でも、それが有名な漫画の一つになりました。

何?

ジャ。デー。
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:29 am

Doctor X wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:17 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:56 am
本当に?

今、古い映画を見る。面白いだ。漫画はちょっと繰り返しの物語と思います。でも、それが有名な漫画の一つになりました。

何?

ジャ。デー。
そうなの?僕はカウボーイビバップを見ている。
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:48 am

さあ〜。分かる、ごめん。

映画の言うは子連れ狼:子を貸し腕貸しつかまつるだよ。

--J. "I'm Vicious!" D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:19 am

Season 2 of The OA.

Giant squid uses the OA as its own personal hand puppet.

Ok, you have my attention.

Fucked up shit, but how can you stop watching after that?

Plus, I just love the magic spastic epileptic dance.

Watch it, but if anyone sits next to you and starts asking questions without having seen Season 1, kindly tell them to leave.
Such potential!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:56 am

Mifune: The Last Samurai

About, obviously, Mifune. Interviews with Some Guys and Gals who are "still alive, fuck you!" which are interesting given who they are. Also includes his son who was born the year his father made Rashōmon . . . I think . . . at least . . . that is how I recall it.

Hell, they have the man who portrayed both Godzilla and a bandit in Seven Samurai. Now how do you beat that resume?

You do not.

--J.D.

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:01 am

Some selections lately:

Humans. An extended series making a sci-fi drama around the social impact of synthetic people in the near-future or alternate present--not quite sure which it is. Done EXTREMELY well in my opinion. The story develops in phases each season and becomes more ambitious with each phase. Good acting, good writing, good characters. Needs more robot boobs, but I could always watch Westworld if that was more important to me.

Finally getting around to Star Trek Continues. It achieves so far beyond "fan films" that it can stand up in many ways compared to official adaptations and television storytelling in general. Much of the cast I'm on the verge of being able to see them as their characters without noticing the different actors. Sometimes the voice seems a little off but that might be a sort of "uncanny valley" due to how closely matched the set pieces are to the original, and how the body language of the original actors is duplicated so well. Most importantly, the writing is fantastic IMO once it really gets going. Somehow it matches the tone of the original series and brings the storytelling towards the best of today's standards at the same time. These are the stories I didn't know I needed until I had them, and I've never once felt like I'm in a different universe and have to keep ignoring things or explaining things to try and feel like it fits.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:42 pm

Where are you watching Humans?

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:08 pm

Amazon Prime Video.

Season 3 is purchase-only, but for $10 it wasn't a large investment--especially if you compare to a handful of PPV or redbox. That's how much I've been enjoying it.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:22 am

I saw the first 2 seasons of Humans and very much enjoyed it.

Have you both seen Ex Machina, I assume?
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:09 am

Binging "Brooklyn Nine Nine" right now. It's a comedy about cops at the fictional 99th precinct in Brooklyn.

Terry Crews is hilarious as the big tough family man/muscle head sergeant. And the actress who plays Diaz is both incredibly hot and funny the way she portrays her character as so damned mean. My kind of woman. All of the characters are quirky and funny in their own ways.

Diaz though. Ahhh Diaz

I really recommend you give it a watch
Spoiler:
Quote Redacted by Section 31

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:30 pm

https://www.fastcompany.com/90340710/go ... -right-now
Go to Google’s search window and type in “Thanos.” That’s the name of a super villain in the Marvel universe. (If you need a primer on Avengers: Endgame or Thanos’s whole deal, check out Joe Berkowitz’s roundup.)

Click the golden glove on the right side of your screen.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:54 am

The second season of Cobra Kai is even better than the first, and that is not a slap at the first season. I was not sure they could continue it without getting "stupid."

They have done it. Very nicely. Here is a not real "spoiler" in that it appears in the third episode and does not reveal anything, but it is a nice scene:
Johnny Lawrence's students figure out that That Guy they beat is his son. I will spare the drama. Some Hispanic Kid wonders if Johnny is upset that he "cheated" because he "cheated" against his son.

Johnny takes him to a dive burger place. He extols the virtues of meat over the pussy vegan crap. Some Hispanic Kid listens patiently. Johnny then points that outside is a hospital. Years ago, he explains, his wife spent 17 DAYS! hours or so in labor.

He was not there. His mother died and, not really being attached to said wife, he went to his mothers funeral. As he admits to Some Hispanic Kid, "suddenly I'm a father."

He then explains he got drunk.

He sat there, trying to find the courage to go to the hospital to be there when his son was born. But he was to afraid, too drunk, all of that.

"On the first day he was born, I failed my son."

I will admit that the room was a bit dusty, but not nearly as dusty as it was in SUPER BOWL LI, LIII!!!1!!!! and WORLD SERIES 2018!!11!!

[Game 2 of the Bruins versus Columbia?--Ed.]

SHUT UP! IS DIFFERENT!

In the rain.

"Pussies cry, Mr. Lawrence!"
--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:03 am

"Pussies?"

"They are the ones who didn't watch Cobra Kai II!"

--J. "Do You have a Problem with That, Mr. Lawrence?!" D.
Sweep the Leg Johnny: I got you some pencils and some paper. I wasn't sure what you need.

Sweep the Leg Johnny Son: Thanks.

StL Johnny: I couldn't find a Trapper Keeper. Are those still cool?

Son: I don't know what that is.

StL Johnny: I had one with a fighter jet. It was awesome!

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:48 am

Ooh! It's back? Time to renew my Youtube subscription.
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:54 am

All Your Mom jokes aside, it is even better than the first. Seriously. Do not want to spoil it.

Put it this way, I wondered after Season One if having Danny's daughter "be the karate girl" would suck.

It did not. Very well done.

--J. "Put Him in a Body Bag!" D.