What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:11 am

Second part of the third series of Attack on Titan has resumed.
Spoiler:
Sasha finally eats meat.
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat May 04, 2019 11:52 am

Doctor X wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:54 am
All Your Mom jokes aside, it is even better than the first. Seriously. Do not want to spoil it.

Put it this way, I wondered after Season One if having Danny's daughter "be the karate girl" would suck.

It did not. Very well done.

--J. "Put Him in a Body Bag!" D.
Just finished watching. You're goddamn right it was well done. One of the rules I always believed is that if there was a TV follow up to a movie, you could count on it to suck.

Instead, this (both seasons) wound up better written than the movies, and actually manages to somewhat uplift them.
Spoiler:
A favorite part for me was Johnny visiting Tommy in the hospital, and most of the other old Kobra Kai gang are there, except for one who is in prison. It was Dutch who was missing, and I wasn't surprised, as he was originally portrayed as the most unable to control his aggression. Most of the others had moments of hesitation, and he never did. Way to pay attention to past material, though I figure in RL the actor probably just couldn't or wouldn't appear.
Any word on a third season?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat May 04, 2019 3:03 pm

gnome wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:52 am
Just finished watching. You're goddamn right it was well done.
A RIVER. . . .
One of the rules I always believed is that if there was a TV follow up to a movie, you could count on it to suck.

Instead, this (both seasons) wound up better written than the movies, and actually manages to somewhat uplift them.
Which is why I initially avoided it way back and linked to the video "Sweep the Leg, Johnny" from a small band. Far too many interviews later, what convinced those involved to come on board was it was not going to be a "This Time its PAYBACK!!1!" with "the Fight" between "Danny and Johnny!" As this season demonstrates, both characters have "issues." The plot is much more than "FIGHT!"

In reply to your Spoiler
Spoiler:
That was a favorite episode. Apparently, that actor was not interested for reasons not specified. There was an interview with Ralph and William where they mention that. Everyone picks up on the "GET HIM A BODY BAG!" reference, but it is done very well: this is your future. All of your futures. Are you going to keep wasting time?
As for my favorites:
My Dinner with Johnny: whenever the two interact, I think they do a very good job. As Ralph joked in one of the interviews, if they were both "reasonable" and tried harder to understand each other, "there would be no conflict."

Disco Karate: loved the demonstrations.

Danny-san, You Suck! not so much Danny being a "dick" as him losing perspective so that he nearly ruins his relationships and even business. He is driven by this "I must defeat Cobra Kai" delusion where Johnny does not really care about "Miyagi-Do." It should be "Miyagi-Ryū," and if Chojin Miyagi is "Mr. Miyagi's" ancestor why are they not practicing Goju-Ryū? I mean, look, I understand [Stop it!--Ed.] And I had to pause it when Danny screams: "I'm being accused of 'cultural appropriation!' They're calling me 'Danny LaRacist!'"

Got Mac?: anything involving Johnny and modern technology. All the way to, "I'm not sure we can afford the rights, Sensei," "Don't worry, I've bought the cassette tape!" And Trapper Keeper!

Be the Better Man: Seeing Johnny trying to get his students to conFESS! Then when confronted by Danny, turns and responds he will be the "better man." It is growth for his character, of course, but it is done nicely. He suffers consequences for it. So, in a way, does danny. Who has been screaming about how "EVIL" Cobra Kai is to What's His Name 24-7?

Gram's Mom, of course.
there are more of course. Kudos to "the Kids" who could have ruined it.
Any word on a third season?
Did you see who sent Johnny a reply on Facebook?
Spoiler:
Though they will not confirm nor deny whether she comes back. I never bothered with the KK movie sequels because . . . why? But they will not rule out anything including Elizabeth Shu coming back or even That Other Guy from Whatever Sequel when Danny briefly joined Cobra Kai. Obviously, if they bring EVERYONE back at once it just becomes stupid. I would not be surprised if, say, Shu looked at what they did and thought, "hey, now that's not actually bad!"

Some like Kreese's return was "part of the plan" for the end of the first season. That actor--nice interview at a premier with Amos of The Expanse behind him--has been very enthusiastic with where they are taking him, for example.

Anyways, I believe not only is a third confirmed more may be in the works. William has joked about how professional the creators are and when they presented it, Youtube jumped right on it.
Will The Guy from Home Depot--"Stingray"--become the NEW DANIEL SAN?

No . . . wait!

. . .

. . . will Johnny join Miyagi-Ryū against Kreese.

Since no one asked, one thing that could be possible would have been Danny and Johnny working together and sharing techniques. The original set-up was "Okinawan Karate" versus Korean "Tang-Su-Do" ala Chuck Norris. In reality, TSD, like TKD, comes from Shotokant [Stop that.--Ed.] which comes from Shorin . . . which is what "Miyagi-Do" actually is. [Get on with it.--Ed.] It is all made-up of course.

Anyways, Back in the Day of, say, Chojin Miyagi, Okinawans did just that: shared kata and techniques. This whole "SECRETS!" thing is Hollywood with Japanese stupidity poured on it. So Danny and Johnny working together would not be "strange."
--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue May 07, 2019 7:30 am

Line of Duty.

A Bugger'd by USA!USA!USA! series that enters its fifth season. Basically the "internal affairs" of the London People Who Wander About with Silly Hats, Clubs, and "'ere What's All This About?!'"

It has everyone including:
  • 1. The assassin from Psychoville
    2. The Guy who buys a gun from "za Germans" in Snatch
    3. "For the Watch" from Game of Thrones so compelling the writers extended his character. He likes shooting Muslims.
    4. That Gal Married to That Guy in Ripper Street. She likes sleeping with you, recording it, then posting it on the internet as blackmail.
    5. Your Mom
    6. The Cray Twins from Whitechapel
    7. "Attia of the Julii, I Call for Justice!" "She's a bad influence!"
    8. asthmatic camel on his Fag-o-Cycle with a burner phone and tire iron
and tons of others. The Scully 'n Mulder characters do not "shag," they do not particularly like one another. None of this "will they or won't they" crap going on for episodes. They may sometimes like one another, but they also try to professionally screw each other at various times.

Most important, it meets the Nyarl Joe Bob Brigg's Standard of drama in that Anyone Can Die at Any Time. And they do.

Hands rot off.

Heads roll.

Children cry.

Except for the children who will take a tire iron to your knees then piss on you as they laugh. So, therefore, a Family Friendly drama.

--J.D.

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri May 10, 2019 9:02 pm

Now I'm imagining an alternate universe where there's an Elizabeth Shu who starred in the second movie instead of Tamlyn Tomita. And I guess Ali was played by Tammy Fields, or something.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri May 10, 2019 11:17 pm

I never bothered with the sequels. I thought she just was not interested.

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri May 17, 2019 6:49 pm

Chernobyl on HBO.

Fantastic mini-series. I can't recommend it enough and they've only aired 2 (out of 5) episodes.

While some things have been dramatized for television -- they've combined several scientific teams into one character here and there -- the series is as close the horror of the cataclysmic reality that was.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat May 18, 2019 4:55 am

Funny, I thought I mentioned it somewhere. No matter, quite good with some great "That Guys 'n Gals" in the cast.

Still, I am not sure why everyone is so obsessed with lead pencils. . . .

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun May 19, 2019 6:55 am

I just finished binge watching Dead to Me (Netflix), and it's actually quite good, IMO. Pleasantly surprised.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 20, 2019 4:48 am

Will have to look at it. Went back in time to watch the Japanese English Life on Mars along with the curiously evil Broadchurch.

--J.D.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed May 22, 2019 5:48 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:49 pm
Chernobyl on HBO.

Fantastic mini-series. I can't recommend it enough and they've only aired 2 (out of 5) episodes.

While some things have been dramatized for television -- they've combined several scientific teams into one character here and there -- the series is as close the horror of the cataclysmic reality that was.
Gotta concur. Eagerly awaiting episode 4. Why can't HBO be like Netflix and just dump it all so I can binge? I'll note that I think there is some hyperbole with both the Soviet response (a composition that doesn't lend itself to analysis) and the tragic consequences of the first responders (death for many but the toll was pretty low given the circumstances). Still, the series isn't over so I can't really bitch. Not that I'm trying to.

Great series.

On the lighter side of the divide, the HBO series Barry is a binge-worthy comedy/drama. Two seasons so far but I can't believe with would get picked up for three through whatever. At first, I didn't want to click it because it looked like something so gay only ed would like it. But unlike ed, it ain't too gay.
A hitman from the Midwest moves to Los Angeles and gets caught up in the city's theatre arts scene.
If you liked the show Dexter, you'll love this.

He's so fucking conflicted. Should he pursue his acting career he loves but at which he sucks? Or should he continue taking the hit jobs he hates but at which he excels? Great writing, directing, acting. And it's got the Fonz!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5348176/

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu May 23, 2019 7:40 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:48 pm
Grammatron wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:49 pm
Chernobyl on HBO.

Gotta concur. Eagerly awaiting episode 4. Why can't HBO be like Netflix and just dump it all so I can binge? I'll note that I think there is some hyperbole with both the Soviet response (a composition that doesn't lend itself to analysis) and the tragic consequences of the first responders (death for many but the toll was pretty low given the circumstances). Still, the series isn't over so I can't really bitch. Not that I'm trying to.
Anecdotal, from my parents, the true amounts of people who have suffered directly will never be known. Many were conscripted in a similar fashion the coal miners were. Get on the truck/bus/plane because your technical/medical/craftsman expertise are needed. Most of those people never received documentation that they were ever even in Chernobyl.

Then there is the additional fact of people later smuggling items, equipment, and even produce from the contaminated zone. USSR did have some checkpoints in on all the major roads testing for radioactivity (I myself o recall that), but even then catching everyone with something like that is not possible.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:27 am

Good Omens.

I have been waiting for this for YEARS. I am not disappointed. David Tennant is exactly how I picture Crawley, and though I pictured Aziraphel as more of a "Niles Crane" sort, the guy they have playing him is perfect as well. In fact, not a single dud in the casting at all
Spoiler:
Quote Redacted by Section 31

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:08 am

Awesome! I was not certain about Tennant, until I watched him play a mess of a man in Broadchurch next to Soon to be Ol' Bess.

Though, I hope for sparks' sake, it is not at all Nice.

--J. "Is This the Real Life? Or Just a Fantasy?" D.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:13 am

What did we all make of the final chapter of Chernobyl?

Personally, I think they all did a great fucking job with that very dark subject and will buy it if same should become available on Blu-ray. Gonna watch it again this weekend soon as my webz connection resets to high speed (Goddamned fuckers at Verizon).
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:10 am

I fully enjoyed it right to the old weathered plastic Jesus Not-Quite Mickey Mouse.

When Roose Boulton is your prosecutor, you know you are fucked!

Nice explanation at the end where they explain the changes such as creating the Watson character as a composite.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:59 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:27 am
Good Omens.

I have been waiting for this for YEARS. I am not disappointed. David Tennant is exactly how I picture Crawley, and though I pictured Aziraphel as more of a "Niles Crane" sort, the guy they have playing him is perfect as well. In fact, not a single dud in the casting at all
Totally agree so far. I did not know much about Tennant having long grown out of Dr. Who. I thought he was great as a mess of a man in Broadchurch. Good Omens is one of my favorite books, and I did not want them to fuck it up. Gaiman did not like what they did with Neverwhere. I think they did fine . . . save where they tried to cut things and make it more "politically correct."

Be that as it may, so far so good. They seem to have the correct actors for the principles. Do not know about the narrator actually being "God" since I am not sure said locative sociopath would agree with Crawley's interpretation of him. Still, one of the problems I thought an adaptation would have is how to handle the internal narrations from which much of the jokes come.

In the rain.

--J.D.

P.S. Oh shit! Michael Sheen! Well there you go!

P.P.S. Perfect casting for Adam's Dad. Played the utter cunt of a character in Ashes to Ashes which proves ironically appropriate.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:23 pm

Finished it last night. Kind of glad they never made the movie of it that was planned, because even a six episode series forced them to leave some good stuff out. Two hours would have been too few.
Spoiler:

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:03 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:23 pm
Finished it last night. Kind of glad they never made the movie of it that was planned, because even a six episode series forced them to leave some good stuff out. Two hours would have been too few.
Since the advent of streaming, the series has pretty much replaced the movie in terms of novel adaptations. A movie can't be long enough to faithfully produce a novel of more than 100 pages. In the past, even a mini-series was rare.

This is a good thing.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:01 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:03 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:23 pm
Since the advent of streaming, the series has pretty much replaced the movie in terms of novel adaptations. A movie can't be long enough to faithfully produce a novel of more than 100 pages. In the past, even a mini-series was rare.

This is a good thing.

Completely agree. That’s why I am holding out hope for the upcoming Dark Tower series, despite the fact that the movie sucked sweaty hobo balls
Spoiler: