What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by ed » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:53 am

Disturbing how?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:10 am

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 55421.html
Bone Tomahawk makes claim for most insane death scene of the year
The article supplied a clip of it but youtube pulled it, probably for being so gruesome.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:28 am

Ah.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:02 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:41 am
Fuck it, I need 4-D graph paper to follow this.

--J.D.
I might be behind you on this season. Just finished episode 4 last night. Yeah, it's starting to get weirder. Clearly the future can and is affecting the past. It's worthy TV though.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:36 am

Rob Lister wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:44 am
Bone Tomahawk
Amazon Prime.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2494362/
In the dying days of the old west, an elderly sheriff and his posse set out to rescue their town's doctor from cannibalistic cave dwellers.
Director: S. Craig Zahler
Writer: S. Craig Zahler
Stars: Kurt Russell, Patrick Wilson, Matthew Fox
The first half is a good western shoot-em-up and posse hunting down some Indian kidnappers. Second is fucking disturbing. I'm glad I watched it but I wouldn't watch it again.

LOVED that movie.
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:18 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:02 pm
I might be behind you on this season. Just finished episode 4 last night. Yeah, it's starting to get weirder. Clearly the future can and is affecting the past. It's worthy TV though.
More than that. To avoid t3h sp01l4g3, the attention to detail is impressive as in who is who and all of that. I only just finished the fifth episode.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:42 am

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:28 am

Lol.
Spoiler:
So Mikkel gets rubella in 2019. I leave it to you to figure out why that would be. :roll:
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:50 am

Actually, he got it in 2017. That was before "it!"

You get the picture!

On the side rewatching the first season and, wow, they had to have enslaved interns to keep track of all of the connections and references.

Like who the fuck is giving the narration?

Rather important, but only if there is a second season. I do not believe they were "greenlit" for two seasons, so in the first season, they were willing to put in such detail even though it may very well not pay off. Even Stranger Things kept the stranger things a bit contained under the fear of "we may not be back to this."
The Japanese British series Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes play with the possibility of it being time travel. I referenced them before. Basically a cop in the middle of a serial killer investigation gets hit by a car and wakes up as part of a 1970's cop drama. Complete with stereotypical characters that even fit 'murican shows of the time. The question being is the guy dead and in some sort of purgatory, is he insane, is he in a coma, or did he actually travel back in time. The show would play with all of those.

Regarding time travel, they had intentional mistakes and anachronisms. I think part of it was to test the type of fans who pound their keyboards over Saving Private Ryan showing that the tank had too many treads, "THOSE TANKS WEREN'T INTRODUCED UNTIL 1945!!!11!! AND ONLY IN DES MOINES!!!!" The more important part was to show that people's recollection of the past is colored by their present--they make mistakes. So are the mistakes mistakes or is reality all in the character's mind, or is he in a different time defined by his thoughts.

Dark seems to try to avoid that and be precise. I am sure, if I look hard enough, someone will declare that Jonas ends up in 1986 with the iPod ear buds that, while available in 2017, most used wireless so. . . .
Meanwhile, based on recommendations of Sports Dudes, I will try the old Friday Night Lights series. It is considered one of the best "This is What Religion Sports Does to People" books--so precise the town hates the author, the Japanese Original movie is a classic, and the Sports Dudes all declared the series even better.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:02 am

"People are peculiar creatures.
All their actions are driven by desire,
their characters forged by pain.
As much as they might try to suppress the pain,
to suppress desire,
They cannot liberate themselves from servitude to their feelings.

etc.

(it's better in the original Japanese German)
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:14 am

Just when you thought Hannah couldn't be any more of a fucking bitch
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:35 pm

Yup.

To the end.

--J.D.

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:18 am

Alas, poor Ulric.
Spoiler:
If only he had stayed with Hannah as he promised instead of running off to find his boy, everything would have turned out just fine.

But then again, Season three hints that there are two other dimensions. Maybe he did just that in one of the other two.....

:Popcorn: :Popcorn: :Popcorn:
Such potential!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:11 am

I find it ironic that the actress who plays Hannah looks very much like the insane sister from Rescue Me who also screws everyone six ways till 2020.

But:
Spoiler:
There is a bit of a consistency. We know now that Main Squeeze is the one from the future who hits him in the face with the gun. We also know that the Main Squeeze gets killed before Dickless Turns Off the Power Grid demands that they open fucking radioactive drums. So she came from somewhere.

And something convinced Jonas to turn t3h 3v1lz!!
--J.D.

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:35 pm

Still tons of unanswered questions, for example...
Spoiler:
Who is Noah and where did he come from. Obviously, future Jonas recruited him, but from where, when and why? Could Noah be Jonas and Martha's future son from one of the other worlds? Maybe that's why he betrays Noah and kills Martha? Could this be why Noah was shocked when he read the last pages of the secret book and tried to kill future Jonas?
Such potential!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:19 pm

I'm still confused about this point:
Spoiler:
Even with time travel, how could a woman be the mother of her own mother?
Isn't that like the chicken and the egg? No egg, no chicken. No chicken, no egg.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:35 am

I think there is a suggestion that he is the brother of the Lesbo-Bitch who killed him . . . who is Ulrich's great or mere grandmother. I could look this up, but that would require actual effort. I will have to rewatch that detail. The suggestion was that she "left" the Sic Mundi group who, as you know, suddenly picked up Ulrich's other son and His Main Squeeze way in the past. Which bring us to Anax's tentacle hentai:
There is the suggestion that you can change the past since they have been through two cycles with this being the third. There is going to be a lot of "attempt to change merely causes the change" as in the case of Mama Tiedelmann and her dad Eagon Targaryan the Young then Old Cop.

But clearly changes happen. How does Jonas Fried Head get a "Higgs Boson" that far back in time? Did he come up with the "mix" from the future, go back, blow up a town, devastating the area, then built his house around it without anyone noticing?

"Oh but it appeared in the past!" So where is it in 1986? Still, it appearing in the deep past, with Young Noah and Jonas Fried Head being post-WWI rather than WWII, is a change of the past, yes?

Anyways, the issue is that Older Hipster Douche Jonas knows the past can be changed. That is why he tells Younger Slacker Jonas not to bring Mikel/Michael back, because it could eradicate his existence. You see Younger Greasy Jonas change in that he is the one who drags back Mikel.

When . . . given his vow to change and end the cycle, he merely had to sacrifice himself by either bringing Mikel/Michael back or stopping himself from abducting him.

Jonas is not a "good guy." Granted, who is? Ulrich seems sympathetic as a "dad," but he still tries to brain a kid in the past.

Part of the "Failure to Change the Past" may come from not knowing why it happened. He ends up giving his father Mikel/Michael the idea for hanging himself. He inspires the damn note. Same with him sticking Martha in a bunker but leaving her alone.
--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:44 am

Incidentally, somewhere I may have implied that Girl Who Smashed Young Slacker Jonas in the face is the same as his Main Squeeze. It is actually a different person who just happens to looks similar.

Just as the actor who plays Older Ulrich is not the same actor who plays Normal Horney Trapped in Time Ulrich. Though the resemblance is uncanny. Must say I am impressed with how they match actors and actresses across time.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:04 am

Bruce wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:48 pm
I just read that Stranger Things Season 3 has been delayed to next summer.

:hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit:

I'm 43. I might not live that long. :oldman:
I just saw a Netflix ad that says season 3 is dropping today (July 4th). The wait is finally over. :D
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:06 am

:D
William Shakespeare