What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 71319
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:23 am

Tentacles?

I am asking for Anax.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 71319
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:15 am



--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

User avatar
Bruce
Posts: 20159
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:46 pm
Title: Bruce of all Bruces
Location: Massachusetts

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Bruce » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:08 am

Finished Stranger Things Season 4.
Spoiler:
Loved the Suzi Q scene. They came up with the perfect companion for Dusty-buns. And of course she blamed him for not getting in touch with her for days, despite Dustin's constant attempts to reach her and of course she risked the fate of the world on a trivial demand that Dusty sing her favorite song first. That's what girlfriends do. If they make a Season 4, Suzi Q better be in it.

I love the never ending story song. I was really surprised to see it in this TV series. It was beautifully executed despite the cringyness.

Did anyone notice Will's freakish growth spurt? Mike was looking down at Will in the first few episodes and was looking up in the last few. That was only a few days in TV time, and no one suspected that the mind flayer was involved?

I was a little disappointed in the lack of character development. Mike is still a possessive piece of shit, Will is still a whiny puss, Steve is still getting the shit beat out of him and scoring zero with the chicks in spite of his hair. Holy shit. Poor dude has and entire whirlwind romantic adventure with a girl that comes out as a Lesbo. That was just mean, Darfur Brothers.

They can kill off Mike, Will, and Finn in Season 4 fir all I care. Would rather see 11 search for 8 and the other numbered power kids. Who is number 1? Is there a 12? Can we see Cary Elwes get the shit beat out of him again and again and again? Please say as you wish!

Such potential!

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 71319
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:29 am

Spoiler:
That's what girlfriends do. If they make a Season 4, Suzi Q better be in it.
This was a true "coming of age" story in that Will is left behind. Dusty gets a girl he cares about. As El/11 is completely inexperienced as one would expect: Max's line "I'll let you borrow Your Mom's Cosmo" for example.
I love the never ending story song. I was really surprised to see it in this TV series. It was beautifully executed despite the cringyness.
They really search the 80s references. I particularly liked the use of "My Bologna." Using the Rusky like "The Terminator" was another.
Did anyone notice Will's freakish growth spurt?
I will have to double check but I believe these were filmed together without a significant time period between episodes. The time between the series is retained so "da kidz" could age naturally.
I was a little disappointed in the lack of character development.
We do not think you know what that means.
Mike is still a possessive piece of shit, Will is still a whiny puss, Steve is still getting the shit beat out of him and scoring zero with the chicks in spite of his hair.
Mike is first dating. He is not possessive. He loves El/11 but he does not fully "get" it yet. He does not "get" Hop's "father" role playing, nor does he "get" that El/11's emotions change. He just made it to first base, is barely hitting puberty, a year ago he thought girls were "ewww!"

I do wonder if Steve's direction was a bit part of the actor's willingness to have fun with the character. He kept the hair, was willing to make fun of his character in the second season, so I would not be surprised if he loved the idea "hey, let's put him in a completely ridiculous costume for the whole season!"

Also, he started as a Popular Dude with Girlfriend/Car/HAIR in the first season. Proved a better guy at the end and then into the second season. The Dufner's loved his interaction with Dusty.

So, here we have what is the nightmare of too many teens: "The Summer Job." Just as The Boys are growing out of D&D, people his age grow out of having a car and Good Hair being "special."
Poor dude has and entire whirlwind romantic adventure with a girl that comes out as a Lesbo. That was just mean, Darfur Brothers.
I would make a crass comment that he will change her, but one thing is in reality people do not just start shagging in their young teens and stay together. As much as people find El/11 "cute"--in a good way, not in a DanishDynamite way!--the chances of her an Will growing up together to found a Leper Colony is remote. Same way Steve and Nancy moved on.

Same way Sharona chose Samuel over The Hop and she and The Hop do not really get together. Real life.
Who is number 1?
You are, Number Six.
--J. "Be Seeing You!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 71319
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Doctor X » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:13 am

Image

Based on a recommendation from Gram's Me Mum--from Anax since, according to him, "she was talking with her mouth full," come to the wonderful first settlement in USA!USA!USA! Jamestown!

This is full of "That Guys/Gals." A Bunch of Babes--most of them prisoners--are bought and sent to Jamestown which has not had babes in about twelve years.

Image

And HILARITY ensues!

Sure, the Gals are cleaner than they should be--until one gets put in the stocks for being a "scold" by Our Ever Evil That Guy on the Far Right who then dumps a bucket of shit on her head. But it is very well cast. Aside from Our Ever Evil Guy, you will recognize That Guy Who Killed That Guy's Dad from Braveheart and That Guy's Dad from Trainspoting who was the Lord Commander until, well, That Guy Killed him. He also plays a sympathetic hapless British major in Turn.

You have That Guy from Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch playing the governor.

Hell, the Main Aztec Mayan from Apocalypto commands the Redskins Patriots who has to deal with these idiots.

The Head Bitch does the job very well, and she is not fully a "bitch," she just wants to survive.

Very entertaining. Now while you will wonder how The Girls often get access to a shower, Da Guys all look like they came out of a latrine save one or two of the "nobles."

Look, they actually nail a guy by the ear to the stocks for blaspheming.

This is not exploitative--they are not "Let's Git Nekkid 4 Rattings in the Rain"--though there are some rather clever references:
Head Bitch is convinced to help Independent Woman[Tm.--Ed.] who made the mistake of cursing the Magistrate who happens to drink from the same well that is next to the latrines because hey cholera? That is an AOC conspiracy theory like Global Warming and gravity! A WITCH!!!! She has her take communion from The Reverend I Should be able to Burn Witches in a way with her tongue that was almost as awesome the way Anax's Mom plays with wasabi.
Check it out.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 48815
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:01 am

The Boys

It's an interesting take on Superheroes. Watchmen-esque without being a ripoff. It basically is a universe where superheroes exist and the most famous ones (a superhero team called "The Seven") are promoted as celebrities (complete with endorsement deals and all the trappings) and on the surface are shiny good guys but are actually terribly corrupt. A small group of normals the titular "Boys" (who have been harmed by these "heroes" in various ways) are trying to expose them and/or bring them down. Kind of interesting seeing what a bunch of normal humans can do against foes on a power level of Superman, etc. So far they have only directly taken on one of them, the physically weakest one at that, it wasn't their intent and he was still an incredibly difficult foe to deal with. Which is realistic, because one of The Seven (the worst of the lot, really) is pretty much a direct analog of Superman and they know there is no winning an actual fight with him. They are having to use other tactics, but I won't go into spoiler territory, but I will say that it isn't anything as lame as finding some Unobtainium to strip them of their powers or anything of the sort.

I am enjoying the hell out of it.
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 25412
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:18 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:01 am
The Boys

It's an interesting take on Superheroes. Watchmen-esque without being a ripoff. It basically is a universe where superheroes exist and the most famous ones (a superhero team called "The Seven") are promoted as celebrities (complete with endorsement deals and all the trappings) and on the surface are shiny good guys but are actually terribly corrupt. A small group of normals the titular "Boys" (who have been harmed by these "heroes" in various ways) are trying to expose them and/or bring them down. Kind of interesting seeing what a bunch of normal humans can do against foes on a power level of Superman, etc. So far they have only directly taken on one of them, the physically weakest one at that, it wasn't their intent and he was still an incredibly difficult foe to deal with. Which is realistic, because one of The Seven (the worst of the lot, really) is pretty much a direct analog of Superman and they know there is no winning an actual fight with him. They are having to use other tactics, but I won't go into spoiler territory, but I will say that it isn't anything as lame as finding some Unobtainium to strip them of their powers or anything of the sort.

I am enjoying the hell out of it.
Sounds interesting. A little bit like The Tick perhaps?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190634/
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 48815
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:25 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:18 am
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:01 am
The Boys

It's an interesting take on Superheroes. Watchmen-esque without being a ripoff. It basically is a universe where superheroes exist and the most famous ones (a superhero team called "The Seven") are promoted as celebrities (complete with endorsement deals and all the trappings) and on the surface are shiny good guys but are actually terribly corrupt. A small group of normals the titular "Boys" (who have been harmed by these "heroes" in various ways) are trying to expose them and/or bring them down. Kind of interesting seeing what a bunch of normal humans can do against foes on a power level of Superman, etc. So far they have only directly taken on one of them, the physically weakest one at that, it wasn't their intent and he was still an incredibly difficult foe to deal with. Which is realistic, because one of The Seven (the worst of the lot, really) is pretty much a direct analog of Superman and they know there is no winning an actual fight with him. They are having to use other tactics, but I won't go into spoiler territory, but I will say that it isn't anything as lame as finding some Unobtainium to strip them of their powers or anything of the sort.

I am enjoying the hell out of it.
Sounds interesting. A little bit like The Tick perhaps?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190634/
Not too much, especially not in tone. The Tick, is definitely a comedy and the heroes (albeit with some exceptions) are generally truly heroic (the Tick himself being stupidly so).

The Boys is quite dark and the heroes keep up a nice heroic facade but generally are self-serving and corrupt. More Watchmen than Tick. I mean, imagine if The Comedian from Watchmen had Superman's powers and skill set and a good enough publicist that everyone still thought he was a great hero.
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 25412
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:32 am

No need to answer, I'm just thinking out loud to myself, but why would a guy with the powers of Superman need to be corrupt? You'd think that people would willingly throw money at the guy. Also, I suppose that there would be all kinds of valuable jobs that he could do that nobody else could do.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 48815
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:38 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:32 am
No need to answer, I'm just thinking out loud to myself, but why would a guy with the powers of Superman need to be corrupt? You'd think that people would willingly throw money at the guy. Also, I suppose that there would be all kinds of valuable jobs that he could do that nobody else could do.
And they do (at one point he was mentioned as having several billion dollars a year in income), I won't give away plot points (and I am only halfway through myself, so I could be wrong), but he gives off a "playing the long game" kind of vibe.
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

User avatar
Bruce
Posts: 20159
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:46 pm
Title: Bruce of all Bruces
Location: Massachusetts

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Bruce » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:43 pm

The Boys is soooo dark, but soooooo good.

I'm only on episode 3, and no TV show has made me hate the ultra rich and famous elite class this much. No TV show has made me root for the underdogs this much either.

I would call this show unique, if only because it fully accomplishes its goal of making you root for the "bad guys" and hate the "good guys". Many other movies and TV shows have tried, but missed the mark in my opinion. This one nails it.

There is one fledgling Supe that seems as though might be redeemable, but is showing signs of becoming corrupt. Given the tone of the show, this Supe might grow to be the worst of them all.
Such potential!

User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 34665
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Grammatron » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:26 pm

The Boys is really good and I only watched the first episode.

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 25412
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:45 am

I watched the first episode too. I'm liking it so far. Without spoiling it, there's a pretty shocking accident early in the first episode.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Bruce
Posts: 20159
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:46 pm
Title: Bruce of all Bruces
Location: Massachusetts

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Bruce » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:54 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:45 am
I watched the first episode too. I'm liking it so far. Without spoiling it, there's a pretty shocking accident early in the first episode.
That's what really grabbed me. Terrifyingly realistic. Revolting. Sets the tone for the series.
Such potential!

User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 34665
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Grammatron » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:44 am

This show is too fucking good at making me hate pop-culture, media, and commercialization of everything.

PS: One may say it really has guts.

User avatar
Bruce
Posts: 20159
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:46 pm
Title: Bruce of all Bruces
Location: Massachusetts

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Bruce » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:18 am

There was one scene where a Supe's handler chews her out for doing something heroic that wasn't planned or scripted, but changed her tone completely when her own boss was supportive of the action, though for all the wrong reasons.

My boss has done this so many times. Makes me crazy mad. :x

The actor for Homelander is doing a fantastic job of making me hate him. Want to punch his smug face so bad.
Such potential!

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 48815
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:49 am

Poor Hughie. Getting splatted by bits of human not once but twice...
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

User avatar
Bruce
Posts: 20159
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:46 pm
Title: Bruce of all Bruces
Location: Massachusetts

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Bruce » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:24 am

Just watched the last episode.

Image

I don't know when season 2 is due to start, but it's not soon enough.
Such potential!

User avatar
Bruce
Posts: 20159
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:46 pm
Title: Bruce of all Bruces
Location: Massachusetts

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Bruce » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:26 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:49 am
Poor Hughie. Getting splatted by bits of human not once but twice...
He redeems himself with the geekiest rescue plan in history that actually worked (and could work IRL).
Such potential!

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 48815
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:07 am

Bruce wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:26 am
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:49 am
Poor Hughie. Getting splatted by bits of human not once but twice...
He redeems himself with the geekiest rescue plan in history that actually worked (and could work IRL).
Finally got to the last episode (We have been cycling it with a couple of other shows) and you are right.

I also found the cliffhanger at the end to be really interesting. It has me where I can't wait for next season.
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.