What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Grammatron

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Grammatron » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:14 pm

Also finally saw the last episode. Can't wait for season 2!

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:55 am

It's funny, I have such a different take on it. I loved the premise, and I'm fine with the casting, acting, visual effects... something about the story is really disappointing me. Probably because there's not anyone actually enjoying themselves in that universe. I can handle massively cynical and few happy endings and everyone flawed. But where's Tyrion? If you catch my drift.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:28 pm

gnome wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:55 am
It's funny, I have such a different take on it. I loved the premise, and I'm fine with the casting, acting, visual effects... something about the story is really disappointing me. Probably because there's not anyone actually enjoying themselves in that universe. I can handle massively cynical and few happy endings and everyone flawed. But where's Tyrion? If you catch my drift.
I don't think I catch your drift. Do you mind elaborating?

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:12 am

Tyrion is a character that knew the world sucked and you couldn't trust anyone, and he decided to live it up as best as he could anyway. Everyone in "The Boys" seems to be either evil or disillusioned and depressed, or both.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:59 am

Better Than Us

Thought it was going to be a steaming pile of Russian shitski, but so far it's not half bad. The only thing I really hate so far is the English dubbing for the little girl.

The actress playing Arisa is doing a convincing job of playing a robot. I bet she could disguise herself as a department store mannequin and scare the shit out of people.
Such potential!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:37 am

Good Eats has come back.

Now I really want some Chicken Parm
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:21 am

This is probably old news to most but I started watching Preacher. Not bad.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:59 pm

What We Do in the Shadows. Pretty funny, Matt Berry from IT Crowd is in it.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:57 pm

Watching Season 1 of Catch-22 on Hulu. 5 of 6 episodes thus far upon gorged.

Fucking marvelous. Much better than the movie, and that was pretty damn good. Seems to be better than the book, from which it takes its style but has its own writing.

ed

Post by ed » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:02 pm

Hulu produced it?

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:25 pm

Catch-22
Comedy series
7.9/10IMDb
87%Rotten Tomatoes
93% liked this TV show
Google users
Description
Artful dodger Yossarian is a bombardier in the U.S. Air Force during World War II who is upset that thousands of people who he has never met are trying to kill him. His biggest problem isn't the enemy, though, it's his own army that keeps increasing the number of missions soldiers must fly in order … MORE
First episode date: May 17, 2019
No. of episodes: 6 (list of episodes)
Networks: Hulu, Sky Italia
Directors: George Clooney, Grant Heslov, Ellen Kuras

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:08 pm

I don’t know if any of you liked to watch Invader Zim a decade or so back, but they made a movie of it on Netflix called Invader Zim: Enter The Florpus. Just as hilarious as the original series.

ed

Post by ed » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:06 pm

Bigger question.

What providers do ya'll <-----authentic southern patois> use?
I have amazon prime and netflix. WTF is Hulu? Do I need it? I had been content with my approach for so long that these "new " things crept up and am in the dark.

Thank you.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:12 pm

Hulu is only for access to all episodes of South Park, and not much else.

I also have Netflix and Amazon Prime. I like them both for several of their Originals, but there's also a lot of garbage. Netflix buys a lot of foreign shows and movies which are hit and miss. Netflix also seems to be better organized and better at filtering out things you might like than Amazon.

Neither one spend a lot of money on old movies with top ratings. Most of their movie selections are shit movies with a few mediocre films strewn in between. You have have to rent or pay for access to everything else, and even then, they don't always have what you're looking for. I refuse to pay for access. Means that you "own" the film without actually having a copy, and only as long as they have your payment on record and you keep paying for your subscription. Sounds more like an extended lease with strings attached than ownership.
Such potential!

ed

Post by ed » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:34 pm

Bruce wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:12 pm
Hulu is only for access to all episodes of South Park, and not much else.

Screen Shot 08-26-19 at 05.33 PM.JPG
What is this Hulu of which you speak?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:04 am

ed wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:06 pm
Bigger question.

What providers do ya'll <-----authentic southern patois> use?
I have amazon prime and netflix. WTF is Hulu? Do I need it? I had been content with my approach for so long that these "new " things crept up and am in the dark.

Thank you.
I use the big three, Netflix, Amazon and Hulu.

Hulu was originally a streaming service for classic TV, but it has morphed over the years into just another streaming service, though still emphasizing TV over movies. There are some movies on it, but TV series seem to be the service's bread and butter.

I also have a few lesser streaming services for particular things. I had HBO GO for Game of Thrones but got rid of it since I no longer need it. I got CBS All Access for Star Trek: DIscovery. I am keeping it for now because I am too lazy to shut it off and re-subscribe in a couple of months when Star Trek: Picard premieres (And probably the new season of Discovery soon after that). I watch a LOT of Shout Factory TV, its a streaming service specializing in "Cult" movies and TV, they have a lot of old MST3K and a good selection of classic horror. And best of all, it's free, though there are ads. Lastly I have a subscription to Shudder, it's basically a streaming service entirely for Horror.

We also have "Direct TV Now" which is good for local TV and has a lot of 'basic cable' channels (Food network, Discovery Channel, etc), normally we would have to pay for it but our cell phone plan includes a free subscription. We rarely use it though, but it did allow me to watch the return of Good Eats last night, so there's that.

And I am still paying less than I was for Cable.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:28 am

That last sentence almost makes it all worth it. We've been abused by the cable companies for so long. I would love to see them go down.
Such potential!

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:46 am

Hulu definitely has its uses for me. The Orville, Letterkenny, HIMYM reruns. It's also my platform for Showtime, as well as HBO since my stupid "smart" TV doesn't have an app for HBO Now. It's this weird thing where you only get the apps they want to put on, and for anything else you "stream" it from your mobile device. Works alright, but it's annoying not to just be able to put an app for it. If it gets too annoying I might just get a Roku or something.
--Soldier, TF2

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:00 am

I have Roku. It's ok, but a bit glitchy sometimes. I also have Sling, which sometimes has some ok shows.
Such potential!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:50 am

My TV has Roku built in