What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Giz

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Giz »

Just finished season 1 of “the boys”. Great stuff. Will be interested to see if they can maintain the quality over multiple seasons.

Spent 90% of the time wanting someone to punch homelander and 10% feeling really sorry for him.
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

As far as I can tell, Homelander is the only super that is truly evil. The rest are like overly privileged adolescents in grown up super bodies. They never had to depend on anyone their entire lives to survive, so they never developed empathy. Normal humans are no more significant than insects. The horrific scene in the first episode was like a bug hitting the windshield for the super. More of an annoyance than anything.

The series has a potential to decline into depravity just for shock value. I hope it doesn't though.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Started watching watching Goliath on Amazon.

Legal drama starring Billy Bob Thornton.

With the caveat that I've only watched the first episode, I'm hooked already.

Short version is he's a former big shot lawyer who had some kind of trouble (might have a drinking problem). Now he's working as a public defender. But from there it gets more interesting.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4687880/
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

It gets a little slow in further episodes. Season two moves at a snail's pace. It's like they fired the original writers and all the replacements had writer's block. Still decent though. Billy Bob is more suited to shows like Fargo.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Preacher

USA Network. Hulu subscription.

Fuckin' good. Very Quinten Tarantinoesk directing with Neil Gaimanesk writing. Blood, gore, disjointed, creative, awesome ... lasting impression.
https://i.imgur.com/JeqFPKx.jpg
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5016504/

After a supernatural event at his church, a preacher enlists the help of a vampire and his ex to find God.
Creators: Sam Catlin, Evan Goldberg, Seth Rogen
Stars: Dominic Cooper, Joseph Gilgun, Ruth Negga
I'm gorging now.

One trailer of many

ETA: I'm not surprised that new directors are so influenced by Tarantino. He's just too cool.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Great show. It's on AMC not USA network. Haven't watched the last and latest season but all before are great and unique. Although it did drag a bit in New Orleans.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Sturgill Simpson Presents Sound & Fury on Netflix. Essentially it's an album long music video, about 41 minutes. The visuals are presented in different anime styles set against a story taking place in a post-apocalyptic world. It looks and sounds great. Kind of reminded me of Daft Punk's Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem in concept. But it's totally it's own, cool thing.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Rob Lister wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:44 pm Preacher

USA Network. Hulu subscription.

Fuckin' good. Very Quinten Tarantinoesk directing with Neil Gaimanesk writing. Blood, gore, disjointed, creative, awesome ... lasting impression.

I'm gorging now.

ETA: I'm not surprised that new directors are so influenced by Tarantino. He's just too cool.
I've been watching. I'm on Season 2, btw.

It's good overall. I like some of the new characters introduced in Season 2. Herr Starr is a good one. He's just so badass.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Anaxagoras wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:28 am Started watching watching Goliath on Amazon.

Legal drama starring Billy Bob Thornton.

With the caveat that I've only watched the first episode, I'm hooked already.

Short version is he's a former big shot lawyer who had some kind of trouble (might have a drinking problem). Now he's working as a public defender. But from there it gets more interesting.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4687880/
I've been watching "real time". Am in the middle od S3. A rule of thumb is that if there are long stretches without dialog then they took a 1.5 hr special and stretched it.

That is the case here. I think iy would have made a tight 1.5hr special.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Psycho Pass 3 :hyper:

– J. "Got My Mind Right, Akane Boss!" D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Oh wow. What a coincidence!!
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

It is . . . a weird one.

They also restarted Blade Immortal. This was a fantastic manga for years. About a decade ago, they did a very good first run. As with a lot of very good series, they only made the one. I am surprised they restarted it years after the series ended. They do not recreate the incidents from the first series so it will be a bit confusing if you do not know the manga or original anime.

– J.D.
gnome

Post by gnome »

I'm finding the new Watchmen series quite good. It's too early to tell if HBO has an epic hit on their hands, but so far the production quality and acting is decent, and the writing is good at drawing you in. Gets to fill in a completely alternate history between 1985 and 2019. It knows what to hide from you and what to make clear. What to show and not tell.

Some of the original characters are still alive and have parts to play. Some are actually more interesting now than they used to be.

It's more a successor to the comic book than the movie, in the sense that it refers back to a giant alien squid thingy instead of Dr. Manhattan fake energy or whatever.
gnome

Post by gnome »

https://i.redd.it/adkz9de92v301.jpg
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

A new season of The Blacklist started. I think they are running out of twists they can throw in and combinations of "this character hates/distrusts/is angry at that character" but James Spader makes it all worthwhile, even if it is getting a bit lame. I think the series does need to end soon though, if they want to go out before it begins to suck. But I would count myself lucky if I could be half as cool as Raymond Reddington (Spader's character on the show)

Castle Rock season 2 is out, I am enjoying it.

The Good Place is about halfway through its final season and I am enjoying the hell out of it. Sad to see it go, but its the kind of show that has to resolve itself sooner or later, and like The Blacklist, it's going to run out of steam eventually.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Hey, look at the date at the beginning of this movie:

The future has arrived, but where are the replicants? Where are the flying cars?
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

With Your Mom.

– J.D.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

I forgot how wonderfully dystopian that movie is.

Hey! LA appears to be cold and wet!
Giz

Post by Giz »

Rob Lister wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:11 am I forgot how wonderfully dystopian that movie is.

Hey! LA appears to be cold and wet!
No power cuts in that California!
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Just logged into Amazon.co.jp and season 4 of The Expanse just dropped. So that's what I'll be watching. :Popcorn:

I recently finished watching season 4 of Preacher (seems to be the final season, juding by how it ended). Anyone else like this?

I would definitely recommend at least trying it. It's a little silly, but it's got lots of original characters, some of whom are introduced in later seasons. All 4 seasons are out now, so you can watch it in its entirety.

Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Watched Klaus on Netflix.

I didn't expect to enjoy it, but wow. It was really enjoyable. Rare jem. It had an Emperor's New Groove vibe, complete with Warner Bros style zany slapstick. The animation was beautiful. Good stuff.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:42 am Just logged into Amazon.co.jp and season 4 of The Expanse just dropped. So that's what I'll be watching. :Popcorn:

I recently finished watching season 4 of Preacher (seems to be the final season, juding by how it ended). Anyone else like this?

I would definitely recommend at least trying it. It's a little silly, but it's got lots of original characters, some of whom are introduced in later seasons. All 4 seasons are out now, so you can watch it in its entirety.
Preacher is awesome. I can't seem to get into The Expanse.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I have been really enjoying The Mandalorian. It's actually better Star Wars than the last five (soon to be six) movies.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

I concur. I'm on chapter 5.
Giz

Post by Giz »

Does he play the mandolin, or is he on a quest to find a wise old music teacher?
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Giz wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:33 pm Does he play the mandolin, or is he on a quest to find a wise old music teacher?
Neither, he is half man, half DeLorian
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Sort of like New Coke then?

– J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:52 pm I have been really enjoying The Mandalorian. It's actually better Star Wars than the last five (soon to be six) movies.
Does he ever take his mask off in later episodes?

I was wondering how that's supposed to work in practice. Particularly when it comes to eating, sleeping, bathing, brushing teeth, etc. I did see the first 3 episodes when I was visiting my brother in California, but haven't seen any after that. At one point they mentioned something about mandolorians never take their helmet off. :notsure:
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

In one episode, they show him taking off his helmet to eat but only once he’s alone and the shot is only from the neck down and from behind
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Don't F**k with Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer
8.5/10
https://i.imgur.com/KzguqfD.jpg
A group of online justice seekers track down a guy who posted a video of him killing kittens.
Netflix.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Okay, I'm done binging on it. Three one-hour episodes.

This is a case study on how to dox. Not that their doxing did much good, the police ignored them until there was an actual body.

It starts out with a guy that posts a video of himself putting two adorable kittens in a freezer bag and vacuuming out all the air until they died. A second video shows him putting the dead kitties in the freezer and taking them out to play with them for a while.

The internet goes crazy insane angry and a group is formed to find the guy. And they did. Tiny clues, like the type of electrical wall socket in the room, a blanket on the bed, voices in the background, etc., led (and misled) them to the right guy, but first the wrong guy, who got harassed by the internet multitudes until he killed himself.

It is a sad story of the Internets.

Well worth the watch. I give it 4/5
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Sounds interesting. I may check that out.

You kinda posted a spoiler there though. Are they that the second guy they found is really the right guy, considering the first guy wasn't?

This is one of the problems with vigilante justice.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

I don't want to post any more spoilers. My kinda spoiler isn't much of one, it's just the tip of the iceberg.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I binge-watched The Witcher this weekend. Starring Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia. I won't call it great, but it was certainly watchable, in my opinion. It has a bit of a campy feel to it. There's some T&A in it. Not too much, but enough to make it for adults. Same as the video game in that respect.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5180504/

If you liked the video game, or Skyrim, or Game of Thrones, or D&D it might be worth at least trying.

The episodes are sort of episodic, and there's a fair amount of temporal discontinuity. Some scenes or episodes are flashbacks to earlier times, although it's never laid out explicitly. So it can make the plot a bit confusing to follow at times, if you're not paying close attention. You won't see a caption saying "10 years earlier" or anything like that, you just have to work it out from what's happening. In one scene a character seems to break the 4th wall a bit by mentioning how he's giving exposition.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I never played the game or read the books. I'm halfway through the season and can't follow the timeline at all. I'm just glad the hunchback witch finally finished the jawbreaker in her cheek.
Spoiler:

Was surprised by the explicit baby death. You don't see that very often. Then wondered what the hell was the point of that scene.

Law of surprise? WTF??

Bored by this Fabio dude that just wanders around killing monsters and fucking witches. He's like the "hero" on the cover of every trashy romance novel for chicks.

In fact, I haven't found a single likable character in this story. Every character is either boring or some level of villain.

Continuing to watch out of curiosity to see what is the nature of this shape shifting villain and what is so special about the blond chick. If they both turn out to be dragons in human form, then I'll be like Zzzzzz.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Watched Dont fuck with cats.

Very interesting documentary!

I vaguely remember hearing about the hunt for the cat killer, but I don't recall hearing about the human murder and dismemberment.

Good 3 hour binge watch.
Fid

Post by Fid »

Just finished binge watching the fourth season of "The Expanse" on Amazon.

The thing may need a graceful exit.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Bruce wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:57 am I never played the game or read the books. I'm halfway through the season and can't follow the timeline at all. I'm just glad the hunchback witch finally finished the jawbreaker in her cheek.
Spoiler:

Was surprised by the explicit baby death. You don't see that very often. Then wondered what the hell was the point of that scene.

Law of surprise? WTF??

Bored by this Fabio dude that just wanders around killing monsters and fucking witches. He's like the "hero" on the cover of every trashy romance novel for chicks.

In fact, I haven't found a single likable character in this story. Every character is either boring or some level of villain.

Continuing to watch out of curiosity to see what is the nature of this shape shifting villain and what is so special about the blond chick. If they both turn out to be dragons in human form, then I'll be like Zzzzzz.
Spoiler:
To simplify the timeline a bit: The first episode is called "The End of the Beginning" for a reason. You can sort of think of it as the penultimate episode chronologically. Or at least the part about Cintra getting sacked by Nilfgard. The stuff with Geralt in the episode is probably not happening simultaneously with those events, but actually many years earlier, which is confusing. Everything that happens in episodes 2-7 is many years earlier than the battle between Nilfgard and Cintra in the first episode (except for the Ciri storyline, which happens after the sacking of Cintra). Episode 8 reprises that part and then shows what happened after that.

Also, I wouldn't watch this until you finish season 1, but this cleared up a lot of questions I had:

Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Witcher = Standard trashy romance novel + standard D&D campaign

We were totally suckered into it. Tits and dragons. I'm so ashamed. I'll watch Season 2 when it comes out.....but I'll feel like a whore. :(
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Fid wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:16 pm Just finished binge watching the fourth season of "The Expanse" on Amazon.

The thing may need a graceful exit.
I am enjoying it. They are trying to condense a great deal of books and are doing a better job of it than Dumb and Dumber did with GoT. Though I guess D&D could retort that at least the creators of The Expanse have books to base their adaption upon.

– J.D.