What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Rob Lister »

Rob Lister wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:02 pm
Rob Lister wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:28 pm
Dracula. Season 1. Netflix.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9139220/

It captured me in the first five minutes. We'll see how it goes.
90 minute episodes. Only 3 per season. I'm about to start E3 now. Fucking addicting. So worth the watch.
Finished. No season 2 necessary. Perfectly done.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Watching Messiah now. 30 minutes in and I'm still attentive and not napping. So it is at least that good ... which is pretty fucking good. But I am posting about it, so ...

Giz

Post by Giz »

Rob Lister wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:12 pm
Rob Lister wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:02 pm
Rob Lister wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:28 pm
Dracula. Season 1. Netflix.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9139220/

It captured me in the first five minutes. We'll see how it goes.
90 minute episodes. Only 3 per season. I'm about to start E3 now. Fucking addicting. So worth the watch.
Finished. No season 2 necessary. Perfectly done.
I was going to see it until I read a review online that said episodes 1 and 2 were great but episode 3 was a mess that tarnished the whole. Did you like all the episodes?

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

I liked them all. I thought E3 was, if not perfect, a good completion. I might watch them all again.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Episode 5.

I really tried. Not a fan. The writing is good. The acting is good. Synopsis: it's all our fault, where "it's" means everything. Ordinarily, I'm cool with that; I'm just very used to it. But the justification just ain't there. I

t remains a good 'I'm so fucking bored I'll watch anything' kind of series.

So there you go.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Why would anyone be surprised that Dracula would suck?

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Doctor X wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:40 am
Why would anyone be surprised that Dracula would suck?

– J.D.
No, Dracula was great. That post was about Messiah ... I think.

ed
Title: Not gay

Post by ed »

Started watching Dracula.

Meh.

Too many liberties with the story which did not need "fixing" from latte drinking elites in LA.
Spoiler:
The "updating" by having D. speak in some made up patois with arch familiarity was jarring. That stupid nun questioning Harker was absurd. The plot line of Harker being dead was unnecessary.

So, I suspect that the Nun will emerge as this "strong, oppressed female" character who is critical to the successful ending of the story. All completely made up and injected as PC bullshit.

Did not see Renfield. Is he even in the story or did they turn him into a wise cracking black dude from the hood?
They should be ashamed, but they are not.
About that stereo

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

Rob Lister wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:01 pm
Watching Messiah now. 30 minutes in and I'm still attentive and not napping. So it is at least that good ... which is pretty fucking good. But I am posting about it, so ...
I like it. Modern day take on Jeebus. Dude barely does or says anything while everyone around him loses their shit.

Except the trailer hinted that he might be a fraud. There are subtle hints throughout. I just finished episode four and the dropped the first major hint.
Spoiler:
What kind of Jeebus does coin tricks to amuse children? A false profit devil Jeebus. That's what.!
Such potential!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Anyone not watching Mr. Robot really should consider it. I like each season so far, and I feel like it's just getting better. Halfway through season 4.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Bruce

Post by Bruce »

James Randi did a cameo in Messiah. Wasn't expecting that.

Also interesting that this TV show takes place I. An alternate reality where Mitt Romney is president.
Such potential!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Just started Lincoln Rhyme: The Hunt For The Bone Collector. It is based on the Lincoln Rhyme novels by Jeffery Deaver.

I am disappoint. It took a fascinating series of novels full of twists and turned it into a standard issue cop drama. I'll give it a couple more episodes, but I am not impressed so far.

The first bad sign was that the first time you see Rhyme in the series (except for a bit of a prologue three years before the rest of the series), you see him playing a video game. Lincoln Rhyme would never deign to play a video game. He is a bit of a snob and would consider it frivolous.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Watching Lost In Space on Netflix. Hands down the best science fiction I've ever watched.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Giz

Post by Giz »

Pyrrho wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:54 pm
Watching Lost In Space on Netflix. Hands down the best science fiction I've ever watched.
The Matt Leblanc movie?

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Giz wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:56 pm
Pyrrho wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:54 pm
The Matt Leblanc movie?
:cowbell:
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Giz

Post by Giz »

Started the Witcher. On ep 4 or 5.

Took an episode to get into the world (looks like Medaeival Europe, but folks look and talk more like 21st century California).

I like it better than game of thrones (though for me GoT suffered from early seasons comparing unfavorably to my mental image of the book scenes and late seasons comparing unfavorably to low grade fanfics ).

Note: I’m not saying it’s art. But it’s entertaining.

Now I’m almost done with Assassins Creed odyssey, I may have to boot up Witcher 3 sometime.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Now watching Star Trek: Picard. I will stipulate to the gratuitous long "dolly" shots and space hardware, etc. Also will stipulate to the hand-held camera angles and whatnot.

Story is moving slowly. Classic "twist" that isn't really a "twist" trope structure. I am bored.

Bruce

Post by Bruce »

One scene in The Messiah that I thoroughly enjoyed...
Spoiler:
Farmer and his boy are yelling for help. Their dog is trapped under some rubble after a tornado. He's apparently mortally wounded.

Jesus arrives. Yay! Can you help him Jesus?

Jesus gently takes the gun from dad, aims it like a goddamned professional soldier, and shoots the dog. "There, he's not suffering anymore." Jesus hands the gun back and strolls away like a badass.

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

Would only have been better if he had looked back and said something, like "next time, don't be such a puss."
And one that I didn't...
Spoiler:
Last scene of the season. A shepherd (of course) happens upon a field of flowers in the desert. Within the field is the wreckage of a plane crash. He witnesses Jesus raising his kidnappers (a rogue Israeli assassin and his cronies) from the dead.

I get the purpose. This is supposed to make it absolutely clear, despite all the previous seeds of doubt, that Jesus is for real, not just a really clever fraud.

But the field of flowers is a bit much. :|
Such potential!

Giz

Post by Giz »

Giz wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:16 pm
Started the Witcher. On ep 4 or 5.

Took an episode to get into the world (looks like Medaeival Europe, but folks look and talk more like 21st century California).

I like it better than game of thrones (though for me GoT suffered from early seasons comparing unfavorably to my mental image of the book scenes and late seasons comparing unfavorably to low grade fanfics ).

Note: I’m not saying it’s art. But it’s entertaining.

Now I’m almost done with Assassins Creed odyssey, I may have to boot up Witcher 3 sometime.
Finished the season, liked it more and more as it went on.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Pyrrho wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:42 pm
Now watching Star Trek: Picard. I will stipulate to the gratuitous long "dolly" shots and space hardware, etc. Also will stipulate to the hand-held camera angles and whatnot.

Story is moving slowly. Classic "twist" that isn't really a "twist" trope structure. I am bored.
I've been watching too. The main knock on it so far seems to be 'slow moving' and I agree. The combat scenes also seemed unrealistic but I suppose that's par for the course. How come trained assassins with the element of surprise on their side as well as deadly weapons and superior numbers are so reliably inept? :roll: No match for "Plot Armor" I suppose. Their combat skills suffer from the Stormtrooper Effect.

Nevertheless, I'll stick with it for at least a little longer to see whether it finds its feet.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare