What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Doctor X »

You found a woman and her very young son sodomized by a broom stick unsatisfactory?

Meanwhile, on a recommendation, the Japanese Malaysian Original Virus.

The very first words of dialogue are a man picking up a phone at home as he returns from presumably a vacation with his family. The voice is a women:
Man: Hello

Woman: Sir, we have run out of ventilators in the Medical College. What do we do when more patients arrive?

Maybe . . . not a good idea?

– J.D.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:09 am
ed wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:05 pm Saw a horror flick yesterday. Girl on the Third Floor.

Weak, stupid. Only horror was the movie itself.

I could rant for a very long time (and have, at my blog) on what is wrong with modern horror. And that movie is a prime example of just about all of it.
I think that modern film is largely the same generally. Remember that guy that famously said "there will never be dead air"? Well, there will never be blank screens in theaters. They have thousands, maybe tens of thousands of scripts and marginally competent actors who can turn out movies like old Italians grind out sausage. And IT DOESN'T MATTER. With international distribution, DVD sales and rentals, deals with Netflix and Amazon, the thing will make money, or at least break even. I am sure that they have formulae that tell the producers exactly how much stuff should cost. The product is generic but who cares? They can operate at the margin and still keep everyone happy.

Saw a flic lat night, damn the name escapes me (surprise) ... it was a Bruce Willis payday movie. He has a total of 5 minutes screen time and got top billing ..
re. Willis in the Expendables 3:
A source with knowledge of the situation says the fallout was over a specific money demand. Willis was offered $3 million for four days of consecutive work on location in Bulgaria for the film. "He said he'd drop out unless he got $4 million," this source close to the production says. "A million dollars a day. Stallone and everybody else involved said no."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... s-3-602051
Marauders was the title. Made no sense. No sense whatsoever. Go watch it and come back here and lets discuss it. Stupid waste of everything. Came out in 2016, Ebert reviewed it here https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/marauders-2016

It is sad since when you have a budget and you have actors it seems that you should be able to create something that is >0, right?
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Link:

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Okay, my newest obsession is YouTube videos by Caitlin Doughty, a rmortician who is (I must say) rather easy on the eyeballs. Apparently she does a lot of them talking about the funeral business but the ones I really like are the ones that focus on weird deaths, iconic corpses (i.e. Evita Peron) and strange funeral practices. Here are a couple for reference.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Anybody seen this yet

https://i.imgur.com/YuwiSYg.png

I'm guessing it suks because it has 99% on rotten tomatoes.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.
ed

Post by ed »

Rob Lister wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:02 pm Anybody seen this yet

https://i.imgur.com/YuwiSYg.png

I'm guessing it suks because it has 99% on rotten tomatoes.
Saw it. The ending, like that Cage/Wood (Ha!) thing, was God in a Machine and made no sense. There had breaks in the action where weather beaten merchant sailors sang sea shanties a cappala. I liked that. Made me think of you, Rob. The rest, not so much.
ed

Post by ed »

Fauda season 3. Israeli production about the West Bank and Gaza. I think I mentioned that I liked the fact that the actors look like normal people, no Bard Pitt's here. I find it enjoyable and good. Definitely worth a watch. Female units may find the violence off putting. If they do, ask them how they have time to comment when the sammches aren't done.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Latest season of Better Call Saul. Still the best current show out there, imho.
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

Anaxagoras wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:09 pm Latest season of Better Call Saul. Still the best current show out there, imho.
No spoilers.

Waiting impatiently for Netflix to pick it up.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Bruce wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:35 pm
Anaxagoras wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:09 pm Latest season of Better Call Saul. Still the best current show out there, imho.
No spoilers.

It's not on Netflix there? Weird. Because I watched it on Netflix (the shows and movies available are different in Japan though).
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Anaxagoras wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:52 pm
No spoilers.

It's not on Netflix there? Weird. Because I watched it on Netflix (the shows and movies available are different in Japan though).
Dammit. The Japanese always have all the cool stuff. :(

Netflix here has always been one year behind in BCS.

Thanks Trump. :x
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Bruce wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:12 am
No spoilers.

That reminds me though: Aren't Studio Ghibli movies available on Nexflix over there now? (But not here.)
ed

Post by ed »

Bosch with Titus Welliver. I enjoy it. Good acting.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Anaxagoras wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:23 am
Bruce wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:12 am
No spoilers.

That reminds me though: Aren't Studio Ghibli movies available on Nexflix over there now? (But not here.)
I believe so, but we already have DVDs of the best ones. Just watched a documentary on Ghibli. Cool history. 8)
ed

Post by ed »

Hey Bruce, your reply was number 666!!!
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Mine says #667. The one before that is yours.

Classic case of a god trying to dupe a poor mortal into taking the blame for his evil deeds. :roll:
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Watched El Hoyo (The Platform) last night. Juicy little Spanish psychological horror/thriller with oodles of morality questions.

You'd like to think you'd act differently. But you also know you wouldn't. And revolution starts with a dessert.

Disappointed with the flat ending. Expected and wanted more.
ed

Post by ed »

Bosch. Excellent.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Addams Family. No, really. That rabbit hole started from spotting John Astin while going through old Night Court episodes.

I was too young to properly appreciate original Morticia when watching reruns on UHF in the 80s.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/d5acb7c ... /tenor.gif
ed

Post by ed »

Ummmmmm ... Morticia

Also beginning Homeland. Two episodes so far. Excellent as usual.

I must say Clare Danes does madness a leeeetle too convincingly.
gnome

Post by gnome »

ed wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:08 pm Ummmmmm ... Morticia
https://66.media.tumblr.com/1acb26829c6 ... 1_400.gifv
ed

Post by ed »

Finished Homeland.

A bit of a Meh.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Have you watched The Americans? Some seasons are a bit dull (2 and 3, ie) but otherwise it is really on top. I'm on season 5 now. Not disappointed. Amazon Prime or a pirate ship near you.
ed

Post by ed »

Rob Lister wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:15 pm Have you watched The Americans? Some seasons are a bit dull (2 and 3, ie) but otherwise it is really on top. I'm on season 5 now. Not disappointed. Amazon Prime or a pirate ship near you.
Started it. May go back if the virus goes for another year.

I think we should have a Chick Flick subforum. Yes, I have developed a taste for CFs. They are so wonderfully predictable, even the music. Very reassuring in troubled times.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Matthew McConaughey is so handsome.
ed

Post by ed »

and witty.

he was soooooooo dreamy in Failure to Launch
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I watched Extraction on Netflix yesterday. I'll give it a qualified recommendation.

Starting Chris Hemsworth (who plays Thor in the Marvel Avengers movies). He plays like some kind of badass mercenary dude in the movie, and kicks a lot of butt. The action and fighting scenes are top notch. In normal times it probably would have been in movie theaters as a big summer action blockbuster, instead of straight to Netflix. I do have some issues with the movie.

Extraction Hits A Netflix Milestone And Chris Hemsworth Has A Message For Fans
https://img.cinemablend.com/filter:scal ... png?mw=600
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Another Netflix show I watched recently is Unorthodox, the story of a young Hasidic woman who fled an arranged marriage to start a new life in, of all places, Berlin (yes, it's supposed to be ironic). But it is based on a true story (at least ostensibly true: a woman's memoir). It's a decent watch. The actor who plays the young woman is pretty good.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9815454/

Four hour-long episodes. You could binge it all in one day if you want. I myself watched the first three in one sitting and the final episode the following day.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I heard very good things about it.

– J.D.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

I shall watch both. In my fucking leisure. Of which I have oodles.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Watched it. Depressing. Glad I'm not part of their culture. Reminds me a lot of the Amish. In fact, you could almost think of them a urban Amish.

Would have preferred to see Yanky get the shit beat out of him over and over again. There didn't seem to be any likable characters. Everyone was either ignorant abuser, ignorant abusee, or both. All products of their closed society. Terribly sad.

I wanted to see a sign that the lead character would find a better life, but the ending offered no hope.

Have something light hearted and fun in your queue to watch afterwards.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Extraction. Two solid hours of CH shooting brown people at close range. Never runs out of bullets. There are angry brown people and scary brown people and brown children with guns. Any whitey white guy kills them all. Oh, and there's one hot brown woman who is so hot that she stands out like a cartoon. She joins the shooting and maintains her hotness throughout.

Ok movie if you're into that sort of thing. Do me a favor and count how many brown people CH takes out. Tell me the total.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:55 am I watched Extraction on Netflix yesterday. I'll give it a qualified recommendation.

Starting Chris Hemsworth (who plays Thor in the Marvel Avengers movies). He plays like some kind of badass mercenary dude in the movie, and kicks a lot of butt. The action and fighting scenes are top notch. In normal times it probably would have been in movie theaters as a big summer action blockbuster, instead of straight to Netflix. I do have some issues with the movie.
Wow, you don't see that very often.
https://i.imgur.com/E8EZOfi.png
This movie must have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Now I know I'll watch.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Pretty much as Bruce described it.

In fairness, he kills a white dude too at one point. I didn't really think of it that way because Bangladesh isn't really a racially diverse country.
ed

Post by ed »

Watched 1/2 of it yesterday. meh.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

There's a documentary called Human Nature which I recommend for anyone interested in what the CRISPR thing is all about. Here's the trailer:

It does get into the philosophical issues too.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Just finished up "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" with my wife. Surprisingly dark take for something that started as an Archie comic.

I personally found it pretty interesting as a general supernatural show that draws from (and takes generous liberties with) various mythologies. I have a friend who's a card carrying Angry Feminist(tm) --not kidding, I bet she literally has a card somewhere, even if she made it herself-- and I've joked with her that the show would give her wildly conflicting opinions. It plays 100% straight the trope of witches being Satanists--initially seeming straight out of Jack Chick territory. Their covens are directly connected to an affiliation of churches worshipping the Dark Lord (Lucifer), with a patriarchal organization. Eventually Lucifer, Lilith, and other mythological figures become actual characters in the show.

The conflict in my friend would come out of how much of the storyline consists of powerful female characters fighting against that explicit patriarchy, bringing in modern feminist philosophy. So she'd absolutely hate the inaccurate portrayal of Wicca and paganism, but be cheering at the lead characters trying to reform their church (for instance, trying to abolish a ritual human sacrifice) and struggling to Smash the Patriarchy.

I'm more amused than emotionally conflicted about the portrayals. Passably good writing and engaging characters keep it from being too much of a political shill of a show. A positive example of how modern politics don't ruin a show, sucky writing does... and vice versa, that "progressive" politics doesn't make it good if the writing isn't good.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

gnome wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:14 pm Just finished up "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" with my wife. Surprisingly dark take for something that started as an Archie comic.
I've watched all 3 parts so far, and I enjoy it too. It's just fun. I suppose I could see how people who take Wicca seriously (or Christianity for that matter) might be offended, but since I don't take any religions seriously, I think it's just fun to watch the misadventures of a wacky bunch of Satan worshippers. They liberally weave in other mythologies including some Lovecraft stuff and Voodoo later on. (First episode of season 4 will be titled "The Eldritch Dark"). None of it is really scary scary, in my opinion. All extremely blasphemous to any True Believer I'm sure, unless they can somehow compartmentalize and just enjoy it as fiction.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Don't Fuck with Cats

Everything right and wrong with the internet, and people in general.

– J.D.