What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Anaxagoras

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Anaxagoras »

Another Netflix show I watched recently is Unorthodox, the story of a young Hasidic woman who fled an arranged marriage to start a new life in, of all places, Berlin (yes, it's supposed to be ironic). But it is based on a true story (at least ostensibly true: a woman's memoir). It's a decent watch. The actor who plays the young woman is pretty good.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9815454/

Four hour-long episodes. You could binge it all in one day if you want. I myself watched the first three in one sitting and the final episode the following day.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

I heard very good things about it.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

I shall watch both. In my fucking leisure. Of which I have oodles.
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

Watched it. Depressing. Glad I'm not part of their culture. Reminds me a lot of the Amish. In fact, you could almost think of them a urban Amish.

Would have preferred to see Yanky get the shit beat out of him over and over again. There didn't seem to be any likable characters. Everyone was either ignorant abuser, ignorant abusee, or both. All products of their closed society. Terribly sad.

I wanted to see a sign that the lead character would find a better life, but the ending offered no hope.

Have something light hearted and fun in your queue to watch afterwards.
Such potential!
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

Extraction. Two solid hours of CH shooting brown people at close range. Never runs out of bullets. There are angry brown people and scary brown people and brown children with guns. Any whitey white guy kills them all. Oh, and there's one hot brown woman who is so hot that she stands out like a cartoon. She joins the shooting and maintains her hotness throughout.

Ok movie if you're into that sort of thing. Do me a favor and count how many brown people CH takes out. Tell me the total.
Such potential!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:55 am I watched Extraction on Netflix yesterday. I'll give it a qualified recommendation.

Starting Chris Hemsworth (who plays Thor in the Marvel Avengers movies). He plays like some kind of badass mercenary dude in the movie, and kicks a lot of butt. The action and fighting scenes are top notch. In normal times it probably would have been in movie theaters as a big summer action blockbuster, instead of straight to Netflix. I do have some issues with the movie.
Wow, you don't see that very often.
This movie must have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Now I know I'll watch.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Pretty much as Bruce described it.

In fairness, he kills a white dude too at one point. I didn't really think of it that way because Bangladesh isn't really a racially diverse country.
William Shakespeare
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Watched 1/2 of it yesterday. meh.
About that stereo
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

There's a documentary called Human Nature which I recommend for anyone interested in what the CRISPR thing is all about. Here's the trailer:

It does get into the philosophical issues too.
William Shakespeare
gnome

Post by gnome »

Just finished up "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" with my wife. Surprisingly dark take for something that started as an Archie comic.

I personally found it pretty interesting as a general supernatural show that draws from (and takes generous liberties with) various mythologies. I have a friend who's a card carrying Angry Feminist(tm) --not kidding, I bet she literally has a card somewhere, even if she made it herself-- and I've joked with her that the show would give her wildly conflicting opinions. It plays 100% straight the trope of witches being Satanists--initially seeming straight out of Jack Chick territory. Their covens are directly connected to an affiliation of churches worshipping the Dark Lord (Lucifer), with a patriarchal organization. Eventually Lucifer, Lilith, and other mythological figures become actual characters in the show.

The conflict in my friend would come out of how much of the storyline consists of powerful female characters fighting against that explicit patriarchy, bringing in modern feminist philosophy. So she'd absolutely hate the inaccurate portrayal of Wicca and paganism, but be cheering at the lead characters trying to reform their church (for instance, trying to abolish a ritual human sacrifice) and struggling to Smash the Patriarchy.

I'm more amused than emotionally conflicted about the portrayals. Passably good writing and engaging characters keep it from being too much of a political shill of a show. A positive example of how modern politics don't ruin a show, sucky writing does... and vice versa, that "progressive" politics doesn't make it good if the writing isn't good.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

gnome wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:14 pm Just finished up "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" with my wife. Surprisingly dark take for something that started as an Archie comic.
I've watched all 3 parts so far, and I enjoy it too. It's just fun. I suppose I could see how people who take Wicca seriously (or Christianity for that matter) might be offended, but since I don't take any religions seriously, I think it's just fun to watch the misadventures of a wacky bunch of Satan worshippers. They liberally weave in other mythologies including some Lovecraft stuff and Voodoo later on. (First episode of season 4 will be titled "The Eldritch Dark"). None of it is really scary scary, in my opinion. All extremely blasphemous to any True Believer I'm sure, unless they can somehow compartmentalize and just enjoy it as fiction.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Don't Fuck with Cats

Everything right and wrong with the internet, and people in general.

– J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

I started to watch that, but then realized it was serious business
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

gnome wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:14 pm Just finished up "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" with my wife. Surprisingly dark take for something that started as an Archie comic.

Thanks for the pointer. Considering Michelle Gomez is in it, I'll give it a go.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Catch 22 one episode last night: worth a second look
Brooklyn 9 9 : cop comedy. If I were drunk maybe
Barry: stupid. one episode and out.
About that stereo
gnome

Post by gnome »

Hotarubi wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:26 am

She is amazing in it.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

gnome wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:36 am
Hotarubi wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:26 am

She is amazing in it.
She was precisely that as an incarnation of the Master in Doctor Who a couple of years back - why the name raised an eyebrow.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Somewhat interesting skeptical lecture by a British chap on the subject of YouTube's recommendation algorithm and related topics.
I'm in the middle of watching it. Seems no wonder why crackpot theories and conspiracy theories like Flat Earth or 5G is causing the pandemic are so popular these days. It's not all bad though.

William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Guess Who's Back, known by its Japanese German Original title: Er Ist Wieder Da.

– J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I don't know why all this is available on Youtube now, but a lot of it's quite good.

Just under 12 minutes. And there's more on the same channel.
William Shakespeare