What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
ed
Title: G_D

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by ed »

BTW, Rob, Witness was mocking me. CH would not have stood for it.
This space for let
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

Just watched the last episode of Umbrella Academy Season 2.

I liked Season 2 more than Season 1. The characters were slightly last whiney and pathetic, and several lingering questions were answered.

The last episode and closing scene were a dozy, but I think I know what happened.....
Spoiler:
There was a scene where the idiots confront their father and describe exactly what day they were born and how he adopted them, but Klaus deliberately left out Ben out of shame for accidentally letting him die.

Later, we also find out that the 7 characters weren't the only super powered people who were born that day.

My theory is that daddy decided that these six idiots were a complete failure and decided to locate and select a different set of super powered babies to buy and raise as the Sparrow Academy.. Ben is the only original because he didn't know about Ben.

That would explain everything, and how he knew they would be arriving. I suspect he will simply disown them at the start of Season 3 and tell them to go away and avoid using their pathetic powers.....until the new super villain made his grand appearance.....which will probably be Harlan

Such potential!
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

Just finished the first 7 episodes of Perry Mason on HBO

Wow

It really is amazing

And seriously seriously fucked up
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
robinson

Post by robinson »

Not this series

It’s not at all like the TV shows

Or even the books
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:30 pm Every episode of Perry Mason.

1) Client is falsely accused of murder.
2) ???
3) Perry Mason provokes the real killer into a confession on the witness stand during the trial.
Except one, Perry lost. It killed the series. (IMS)
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:13 pm Dug up episode one season one of Bewitched.
I loved that show when I was a little kid but I was pretty sure I'd never seen the premier episode.

Sucked so much I didn't last five minutes.

Maybe if I dug up one of the later episodes with Paul Lynde as the funny uncle? Naah.
Good that you learned your lesson. Never do that again.

I loved watching Perfect Strangers when I was a kid. When I saw it was on YouTube, I looked up one of episodes I remember liking the most. It was the 2 part skiing episode. I made it halfway through the first episode and couldn't take it anymore.

My child brain had no idea it was watching the cringiest thinly disguised homo-erotic mess to ever slide into primetime. I used to love watching Nightcourt too, but I've learned my lesson. Best to hold on to those fuzzy memories of childhood happiness and keep them fuzzy.
Such potential!
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Gunsmoke, Andy Griffith, Dragnet remain great oldies.

Maverick remains worthy also.
ed

Post by ed »

Boarded Greyhound with Tom Hanks and got a copy ... arrrrgh

You know, I really wanted to like it. Tom, WW2, Germans, cannons, ships etc etc. The thing was in his wheelhouse, so to speak.

Problem was that it was a hot mess. High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions,

Then ...
High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions.

No idea whats going on. Everybody is bundled up (there was a storm too, I think) so everybody looked alike.

n/b/ you ever notice in a chick flick that everybody other than the main chick look alike? All blond, good looking and interchangeable? That was the way this movie was.

Massive disappointment. Budget, Tom, cannons but a story that was a bumper sticker.

Pity pity pity
This space for let
Giz

Post by Giz »

Saw the trailer. Looked like “the cruel sea” but starring Americans instead of brits.

Had put it on a “might watch if it appears on Netflix” list. Maybe I’ll remove.

I saw “the big country” for the first time. Very good, though I doubt I’d go as far as Eisenhower and watch it 5 nights in a row.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

My Octopus Teacher

Netflix documentary. Worth watching for the cinematography at least.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
ed

Post by ed »

Rewatched the 3 seasons of Detectorists. Just a pleasant show, pleasant people, believable and pleasant. I pretty much like everything about it.

Been cycling thru series from the UK and Oz and NZ and most dont last beyond 1 episode. Haven't seen a good movie in a while. Do you reach a point of entertainment saturation where every story line is a commonplace?

Thinking of rewatching The Wire and maybe 24.

Downloaded 9 Star Wars movies. Only saw 3 I thinik.
This space for let
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

entertainment utopia = boredom hell
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Always with the tentacles, Anax Image

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
gnome

Post by gnome »

Lower Decks. It's funny as hell and somehow the visuals and themes manage to hit recognizable Trek notes with almost effortless skill. It almost screams "Guys, it isn't that hard to make a Trek show really seem Star Trekky, we managed it with a GAG show."
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Season 2 of The Boys.

Includes this diabetes-inducing little number:

I won't spoil it, but it was a good episode (S2E7 is the latest).
William Shakespeare
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Started watching Evil. Didn't expect to like it, but finding it quite enjoyable. If they can maintain the delicate balance between scooby-doo mystery solving and OMG there really IS a demon invasion happening all around us........it could end up being a long lasting show.

I kept thinking that the lead demon is the guy who does the voice for Spongebob. It's not, but I like to believe it is. :twisted: I also like Nick Cage as a priest.
Such potential!
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Practically twins.
Such potential!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
ed

Post by ed »

Watched the first episode of War of the Worlds (Brit version 2019). Pretty good. Added a bit of modern pcness but ok. Seems to be cleaving fairly closely to Wells.

Incidentally Tim Spalls son is in it, Rafe. Good actor.

The same year there was a US remake that was "updated" to the present day. Started it but it was a hot mess.

Rewatching Doc Martin. Harmless fun a la Dectectorists except that the lead character is a shit.
This space for let
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

ed wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:35 pmBosch. Excellent.
I watched a few episodes last year, didn't do much. Now I'm totallly fucking engrossed, enthralled, gorging on season 4 now. Best cop detective show since The Wire.
ed

Post by ed »

Rob Lister wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:26 pm
ed wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:35 pmBosch. Excellent.
I watched a few episodes last year, didn't do much. Now I'm totallly fucking engrossed, enthralled, gorging on season 4 now. Best cop detective show since The Wire.
Glad you are liking it. I found the Killing excellent. As I recall you had some derogatory things to say about the lead actress. You might give it another peek.
This space for let
gnome

Post by gnome »

Season finale was this week. And in just a few weeks DSC Season 3 starts. The Star Trek Must Flow.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
ed

Post by ed »

ed wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:56 am Watched the first episode of War of the Worlds (Brit version 2019). Pretty good. Added a bit of modern pcness but ok. Seems to be cleaving fairly closely to Wells.

The same year there was a US remake that was "updated" to the present day. Started it but it was a hot mess.

Rewatching Doc Martin. Harmless fun a la Dectectorists except that the lead character is a shit.
Second episode descended into a morass of tedium. And injected an odd plot element not in Wells.
I'm done. I'll never know what happened.
This space for let
Giz

Post by Giz »

ed wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:28 pm
ed wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:56 am Watched the first episode of War of the Worlds (Brit version 2019). Pretty good. Added a bit of modern pcness but ok. Seems to be cleaving fairly closely to Wells.

Second episode descended into a morass of tedium. And injected an odd plot element not in Wells.
I was curious enough to look it up on IMDB. First review was:

“ This is more about Amy fighting against the repression of the male dominated hierarchy and traditional western values than it is about earth fighting aliens.”
ed

Post by ed »

A bit of that, not horrible.
Spoiler:
But they suggested that the purpose of the invasion was to marsiform earth to make it suitable for martians at some point in the future. I mean ... WTF really WTF???
Go watch the Tom Cruise version. I thought that one was pretty good.
This space for let
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

ed wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:28 pm

You didnt miss anything. Apart from a really good beach sequence it turned into a morass of self indulgent horses mess.

Earth is saved by jesus. Or something. Or dead body farts .
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

ed wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:21 pm A bit of that, not horrible.
Spoiler:
But they suggested that the purpose of the invasion was to marsiform earth to make it suitable for martians at some point in the future. I mean ... WTF really WTF???
Go watch the Tom Cruise version. I thought that one was pretty good.
Ok for a mindless watch I guess. I'd rather listen to Richard Burton.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Finished a strange little Sci-Fi series on Amazon called Tales From the Loop.

It's pretty slow and melancholy throughout. Just mainly weird. A little bit reminiscent of The Twilight Zone maybe.

It all sort of takes place in the same world, and the same weird little town. Each story is sort of it's own little story featuring some kind of fantastic bit of otherworldly technology as a MacGuffin. It's never really clear where this stuff comes from. Maybe aliens or the ancients or something. Usually leads to something bad or some kind of problem for the main character. The main character is different in each episode, but often they appear as minor characters in other episodes. They all live in this weird little town and many of them work in some kind of research facility called The Loop.

If you don't mind a slow-moving and weird sort of melancholy world, it might be worth a look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_the_Loop
Tales from the Loop is an American science fiction drama web television series based on the art book of the same name by Swedish artist Simon Stålenhag. The series premiered on Amazon Prime Video on April 3, 2020.[1] All eight episodes of the first season were released simultaneously.

Tales from the Loop follows the interconnected lives of the residents in the fictional town of Mercer, Ohio. Mercer is home to the Mercer Center for Experimental Physics, an underground facility known as the Loop. It is there where researchers attempt to "make the impossible possible".
William Shakespeare
ed

Post by ed »

Watched 1/2 of the first episode. It irretated me.

Watched Infamous with Toby Jones (2006). Quite good rehash of the In Cold Blood affair and Capote's NYC pals. Worth a peek. I reread Plimptons bio, parts of it at least and some of TC's essays recently. It still is am imponderable why he wrote La Cote Basque and basically killed his relationship with vitrtually all of the NYC social set. According some interviewees in Plimpton's book he was "surprised" to which I say "bullshit". He knew, he had to have known and as fucked up as he was, he still had his marbles when that story came out.

Every now and then I come back to that event. He was a prodigious talent, wasted after ICB, but prodigious nonetheless. Pity. Just a pity.

Stlll watching Doc Martin which is diverting.
This space for let
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Anaxagoras wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:57 pm Finished a strange little Sci-Fi series on Amazon called Tales From the Loop.

It's pretty slow and melancholy throughout. Just mainly weird. A little bit reminiscent of The Twilight Zone maybe.

It all sort of takes place in the same world, and the same weird little town. Each story is sort of it's own little story featuring some kind of fantastic bit of otherworldly technology as a MacGuffin. It's never really clear where this stuff comes from. Maybe aliens or the ancients or something. Usually leads to something bad or some kind of problem for the main character. The main character is different in each episode, but often they appear as minor characters in other episodes. They all live in this weird little town and many of them work in some kind of research facility called The Loop.

If you don't mind a slow-moving and weird sort of melancholy world, it might be worth a look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_the_Loop
Tales from the Loop is an American science fiction drama web television series based on the art book of the same name by Swedish artist Simon Stålenhag. The series premiered on Amazon Prime Video on April 3, 2020.[1] All eight episodes of the first season were released simultaneously.

Tales from the Loop follows the interconnected lives of the residents in the fictional town of Mercer, Ohio. Mercer is home to the Mercer Center for Experimental Physics, an underground facility known as the Loop. It is there where researchers attempt to "make the impossible possible".
I liked it. Weird but unique. Could have used a little more tying up of loose ends. I really enjoyed the echo ball episode.
Such potential!
ed

Post by ed »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:29 pm Blood of a Poet recently went public domain so I downloaded it from archive.org

It's a soundie but not much of a talkie, so it's rather like watching a silent movie with background music.
The title cards are in English.

See also ed's appreciation thread. 8)
That is the gayest dreck i have ever seen. It made me want to put on a production of hms pinafore in the swamp.

No one watch if you value your sanity.
This space for let
ed

Post by ed »

Did you see that guy without the shirt? I will not call him a homo because that would be a blood libel to homos.
This space for let
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Watching Moneyball again for the 5th or so time. (netflix)

Why?

"He gets on base."
gnome

Post by gnome »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:09 pm Dug up episode one season one of I Dream of Jeannie.

Again I didn't make it through five minutes.

I also had forgotten how totally awful laugh tracks are.
I enjoyed watching old Addams Family recently.
--Soldier, TF2
ed

Post by ed »

Morticia was hot.
This space for let
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Lurch was hotter.
ed

Post by ed »

Confessions of a Superhero
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessio ... _Superhero

Sorta sad. These people dress up as superheros and get tourists to give them money to take pictures with them. The superman guy "bears an uncanny resemblance to Chris Reeve" ... not.

Just sorta a sad way to spend a life. BTW the Superman guy died last year. They found him in a dumpster evidentially looking for clothes. He was homeless evidentially.

Worth a look. Took me two exposures to get thru the whole thing.

Wow ... this isn't much of an incentive to watch, is it?
This space for let
robinson

Post by robinson »

Fuck that

I rewatched most of Season 1 of Fargo the TV series recently

Still so damn good,makes the current Fargo 4 suck even more ass than it does