Winter is coming

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Nyarlathotep

Re: Winter is coming

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:13 pm

I think a second big giant battle would be anti-climactic so my guess is they take care of Cersei by other means. Arya gets her or even, gasp, a diplomatic solution
Spoiler:
Quote Redacted by Section 31

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:51 pm

Exile to Saudi Arabia.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:19 pm

Spoiler:
Unless the Night King is not fully dead and/or Cersei figured out a way to Nightqueen.

It just feels like something is missing here and is yet to reveal itself.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:20 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:51 pm
Exile to Saudi Arabia.

--J.D.
We've had enough of the shitty shit that was Dorn on the show.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:01 pm

Bet you're gay!

--J.D.

P.S.
Spoiler:
Not . . .

Though some serious fucking plot armor. Not the least two able to simply grab a scale and hold on while experiencing g-forces that would make Iron Eagle vomit.

See what I did there?
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:52 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:13 pm
I think a second big giant battle would be anti-climactic so my guess is they take care of Cersei by other means. Arya gets her or even, gasp, a diplomatic solution
Someone made a speculation that throws me in this direction, just because it would be really screwy and leave everyone scratching their heads if it's true: what if Gendry is actually Cersei's child with Robert, that she believed was "lost"?

So then it would be the legitimate heir of the Targaryans. the legitimate heir of the Baratheons, or the "Fuck you I have dragon" lady with a weaker claim to Targaryan succession, all of them currently considered one of the "good guys".
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:54 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:17 pm
gnome wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:47 pm
I've been wondering how Our Heroes will have enough forces to viably be a threat to Cersei, but someone online mentioned an interesting point: where are the Knights of the Vale? Sure, you saw some footmen, but none of their famous armored horsemen. It could also tie into why the Vale was not discussed as a strategic location--the writers want to surprise us with it.
You have faith in writers at this point?
Not really. Just a possibility.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:55 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:19 pm
Spoiler:
Unless the Night King is not fully dead and/or Cersei figured out a way to Nightqueen.

I agree. There's one more big reveal to come, I'm pretty certain of it.
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:09 am

Grammatron wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:19 pm
Spoiler:

I agree
Spoiler:
Quote Redacted by Section 31

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:12 am

Gendry has the wrong hair color.

He is also not an asshole.

He is, however, the son of Neddd(d) Stark. He got lonely in Kings Landing.

--J.D.

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:50 pm

gnome wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:47 pm
I've been wondering how Our Heroes will have enough forces to viably be a threat to Cersei, but someone online mentioned an interesting point: where are the Knights of the Vale? Sure, you saw some footmen, but none of their famous armored horsemen. It could also tie into why the Vale was not discussed as a strategic location--the writers want to surprise us with it.
Dany has hardly any forces... except dragon power? Wasn’t aegon the conquerors big battle 300 years ago won purely by dragons? (“Field of fire” iirc)

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:17 pm

The series has departed so wildly from the books that major characters who will have their own point-of-view chapters, were killed. Say what you want about Martin being a Jets Fan forever butt-hurt being His Merciful Dark Hoodie's Bitch [Get on with it!--Ed.] he is a better writer than the screen writers.

To be fair to them, we have been waiting for the "next book" for as long as the fucking series has been on. Sansa has gone from a young teen too young to comment on "nasty scenes" on the DVDs to married. Mazie is applying for the dole. So what were they to do? There are large elements left out.
  • 1. "The" Jaquen H'gar was in King's Landing for a purpose and decided to go on his way towards the Wall. Why? While he disappears, there are suggestions that "he" is the one killing people at the Citadel.

2. Lady Stone Heart and the whole idea of bringing back the dead.

3. Tyrion: sure he has not quite "made it to Danny" but he has a girl also blamed for Joffrey's death working with him, and he is searching for his "ex-wife." Good luck finding her, I know, and I suppose he can renew his purpose in life helping Danny, but that should take a few books.

4. Sansa never got connected to Ramsey "Come and See" Bolton--some poor girl is called "Arya Stark" and is currently decorating his wall I believe. So her "growth," if that is the correct word, is not what it is.

5. White Walkers: completely different. Entire history changed.
So who knows? Nevertheless, even one flying dragon wipes out an army. The Wonderful Huge Crossbow that fires a shot every other episode is like, well, shooting a musket at WWII fighter plane. Maybe you get lucky. Probably not.

Unless someone kills the dragon/Deranged Danny prior to that.

I blame Gram.

--J.D.

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:35 pm

So, I actually enjoy the tv show more after they ran out of books, even though their writing isn’t as good.

Why?

Because in the earlier seasons I would always compare the tv show to what I had read in the books (and it would never measure up). Now, I treat it as it’s own thing and just enjoy it as high-budget fan fiction.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:38 pm

But Dorne sucked and Brianne sort of was . . . like . . . there and Sansa and Ramsay was simply gratuitous.

Did not ruin the show for me. Martin blabbers on about food too much and has made his mythos so complex he consults the Wiki for GoT to remember what the hell he wrote earlier! That being snarked, he is rarely boring, and as one critic noted, books have an unlimited budget so it is unfair to judge some adaptions.

--J.D.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:42 pm

Giz wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:35 pm
So, I actually enjoy the tv show more after they ran out of books, even though their writing isn’t as good.

Why?

Because in the earlier seasons I would always compare the tv show to what I had read in the books (and it would never measure up). Now, I treat it as it’s own thing and just enjoy it as high-budget fan fiction.
I have not started the latest season but it seemed to me that when they ran out of "books" the writing became sorta what I would expect from tv. Like the ability to travel from place to place in the blink of an eye. Anything to move the story ahead. It seems more bludgeoning than subtle. Know what I mean?

eta... that isn't to say that I don't enjoy the story, production values are great and the acting is good and the characters are interesting. Just the writing can be a bit meh
Last edited by ed on Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:56 pm

ed wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:42 pm
Giz wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:35 pm

Why?

I have not started the latest season but it seemed to me that when they ran out of "books" the writing became sorta what I would expect from tv. Like the ability to travel from place to place in the blink of an eye. Anything to move the story ahead. It seems more bludgeoning than subtle. Know what I mean?
Absolutely, it’s why I called it fanfic!

(Or, being a game of boobs... maybe slashfic?)

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:24 pm

I will give this to Geriatric Hapless Jet Fan: in the books the sex is not gratuitous. I actually initially typed "in the sex the books is not gratuitous" which amuses me greatly. Aside from the problem of much of them being CHILDREN--which is in keeping with the War of the Roses sources--they have sex for political reasons. Women use it as a weapon, and not just Cersi.

The show seemed to be more "let's git nekid!" Book is different than visual. The show cut out the whole lesbian "thing" with Danny. First, Danny is, well, a child! For a while she deals with being basically sold off by her sociopathic brother and seeks comfort in it with her ladies. The show tries to convey it when she learns how to make sex with Khal more than him humping a horse. But they cannot spend chapters on it like in the books.

Blah . . . blah . . . blah, I think the show's limit may have made it seem gratuitous. Apparently some of the actresses felt that way. Emilia Clarke told them she would stop appearing topless, for example.

--J.D.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:37 pm

HBO sexes up their productions particularly for the US market. I read something on this a while back ... I forget the Brit series but they would reshoot sceens with boobs for the US. Used to be the reverse as I recall.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:32 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:24 pm
Emilia Clarke told them she would stop appearing topless, for example.
I think that was Oona Chaplin. Though it was attributed to Emilia because the original viral article used a photo of her as clickbait.
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:38 pm

And that is why she was stabbed to death in the Red Wedding [Citation Needed--Ed.]

--J.D.