Winter is coming

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
gnome

Re: Winter is coming

Post by gnome » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:42 pm

Ha!

Honestly though I feel like at some point HBO realized they had a better story than one that needed to rely on T&A. It didn't disappear from the show but it seemed to become infrequent. I hope that the much discussed scene with Arya isn't a sign that they're shifting back. Or who am I kidding? As long as we're getting the bad writing, may as well have boobs as well.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed May 01, 2019 12:33 am

You did not see her frontal, and it looked a bit "CGI" of a body double. I am not sufficiently creepy to investigate one way or the other.

Frankly, I would not be surprised if some of the actors and producers are a bit "uncomfortable" with such when they knew all of these actors and actresses as kids. The point that none of them were allowed to watch the full episodes of the first series was noted by the adults.

I think it would convey sort of the same joke about creeps waiting for "Hanna Montana" to reach 18! "Oh great! They are old enough to get filmed nekid!"

The infamous scene with Sansa and Ramsay generated a lot of comment obviously. I agree with critics that the change was unnecessary to stupid. It required Littlefinger to become a complete idiot. Anyways, you do not actually see her raped; the camera focuses on Theon Reek's face. Though the actress joked in an interview with him when they discuss doing it that way, with the camera not on her, "that was some of my best acting!"

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Wed May 01, 2019 12:48 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed May 01, 2019 12:30 pm

My prediction: the evening after the battle, a quiet moment

Dany: So...
Jon: Yeah.
Dany: And this means you're my...
Jon: Seems that way.
Dany: And we've been...
Jon: Yup.
Dany: And also you're the...
Jon: So they tell me.
Dany: I'm not cool with this.
Jon: Neither am I, really.
Dany: Ok. So where's my room? That you're not going to be in.
Jon: Down that way. Last on the left. See you at breakfast I guess.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed May 01, 2019 1:15 pm

Though if I was him:

Jon: So, um, Sansa?

Sansa: Yes?

Jon: Since we're not, you know, even half-brother and sister, and, well. . . .

Sansa: You had me at "So." Do you like dogs?

Jon: What? Ah, yeah, I think so, but other than Ghost it's not like I pay much attention, why?

Sansa: No reason. What about archery?

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed May 01, 2019 2:01 pm

Hey, we've got a Jonsa shipper here ...whoda thunk?

But I can see it. It is technically less creepy, AND the actors actually seem to have more chemistry together, because it's more than zero.
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed May 01, 2019 2:11 pm

I do not know, Danny is Kray-Kray and Jon has zero interest "da throne."

I think the writers wanted to transform Sansa from "blithering idiot" to "I'm SMART!" hence putting her through the literal ringer. Not quite necessary, but there you go.

Interestingly, according to a post-show the Duo basically just decided on Arya doing the killing. They say they felt Jon doing it would be too much and obvious. I rather thought Arya was too obvious.

--J.D.

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed May 01, 2019 2:30 pm

Hmmm, after 8 seasons of Jon knowing nothing and Ayra stabbing everything, they said “let’s subvert expectations by Jon knowing nothing and Ayra stabbing something “.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed May 01, 2019 2:34 pm

"Actually, we... DOUBLE subverted it because people expected us to subvert it, so that was actually...clever. Yeah, that's the ticket. Also--hey look! Sansa topless!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed May 01, 2019 3:26 pm

Yeah, I have been, as I indicated, rather unimpressed with their direction on their own.

How humans survive being buried by the armed wights hacking and biting, and in on case in the crypt, eating them is a particular example. There are many more. I still enjoy the show, but they have "issues."

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed May 01, 2019 11:57 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:26 pm
Yeah, I have been, as I indicated, rather unimpressed with their direction on their own.

How humans survive being buried by the armed wights hacking and biting, and in on case in the crypt, eating them is a particular example. There are many more. I still enjoy the show, but they have "issues."

--J.D.
In the early seasons it was more believable. Now the only possible explanation is "main character armor".

Would Targaryens care about a little not-exactly incest any more than Lannisters care about real brother-sister incest? BTW, Jon is still related to Sansa, he's just her cousin rather than half-brother. Dany is his Aunt.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu May 02, 2019 12:15 am

At least in the books, incest seems to be joked about as in the rumors of Cersi and Jamie. The "issue" was the fact her children were not Robert's. The Targaryens had zero qualms with incest, and they seemed to encourage it to keep their line "pure" and unsullied--see what I did there?--which, of course, seems to have exacerbated their madness.

Now Danny did not grow up in that culture other than tolerating her sociopathic brother's screeching. She may have qualms about marrying a nephew, but I doubt it. I think her only concern--from the show's standpoint--is whether or not people will support Jon over her. I would agree with some armchair critics--and the actor apparently--that Jon has zero interest in becoming "the" king. He might, however, if he is convinced it is the only way to have peace. "The North" may accept it if he is on the Iron Throne.

--J.D.

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu May 02, 2019 1:09 am

It could be self-fulfilling--she reacts so badly to the possibility of him becoming king, that she drives him into it.
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu May 02, 2019 2:16 am

That is what I suspect.

Danny is not altogether there, and credit to Emilia and the writers, she has been allowed to let the paranoia and viciousness seep in at points. You see this "I get to be queen because it my right!" constantly brought up to her, so if she does not support Jon as the rightful heir she becomes a hypocrite.

To be fair to Danny, one of the points in the early book is she did not feel loved until Khal started to treat her as a wife and mother rather than something to ride. The question is does she love Jon or has she chosen a husband out of political convenience. She can still "like" him and even be happy he is not some disgusting creep. To give up what she feels is her "right" would mean she loves him. Given her paranoia and severe standards of loyalty, would even that be enough?

It may depend on whether or not she is pregnant. We have the "curse" of the witch, we have the Hall of Not Arsed to Look it Up which is portrayed as her having to cross snow-covered ground to get to the throne, so it is possible that "the joining of ice and fire" means Danny can get pregnant. She has to know--it is clear in the books--that if she cannot get pregnant or solve the riddle, her dynasty ends with her. [What about other Targaryans wandering about in the books?--Ed.] Shhh!

So if she is pregnant that may "solve" it.

However, Butt-Hurt Jet Fan Not Named Anax has consistently maintained that the story will not have a "happy ending."

Which is why Bron and Cersi will get together.

Just to piss off the actor and actresses.

In the snow rain.

--J.D.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu May 02, 2019 2:49 am

In the end, it will be Hot Pie on the Throne. Wait and see
Spoiler:
Quote Redacted by Section 31

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu May 02, 2019 3:43 am

Had not forgotten him.

His pies are really good.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu May 02, 2019 4:54 am

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu May 02, 2019 4:58 am

Doctor X wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:43 am
Had not forgotten him.

His pies are really good.

--J.D.

It will cease to be the Iron Throne and be the Throne of Pies
Spoiler:
Quote Redacted by Section 31

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu May 02, 2019 5:01 am

The cast iron throne

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu May 02, 2019 5:49 am

Nonstick.

Incidentally, the Pair defended the lighting as being more realistic. They point to most night battles in films, especially Helm's Deep or Whatever the Fuck Nerds Call it, where, somehow, it is brilliantly lit. This was to convey how lost people are in such a battle. Unable to see anything until it is on them.

True.

Still, if they had been smart enough to dig a wider trench, they would not have had that problem.

--J.D.