Winter is coming

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Grammatron

Re: Winter is coming

Post by Grammatron » Thu May 02, 2019 7:23 am

Hard to dig trenches when the ground is frozen.

Lazy writing but it was visually great. Some of the best fantasy and horror elements ever produced on film.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu May 02, 2019 7:40 am

Grammatron wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:23 am
Hard to dig trenches when the ground is frozen.
Got dragons?
Lazy writing but it was visually great. Some of the best fantasy and horror elements ever produced on film.
Oh yeah, quite definitely. And I think they did a very good job. I utterly enjoyed the episode. Big kudos for "Massie," I figured she would be the one to go after the Night's King, but the way she arrived was excellent.

After crapping on the Duo for some of their choices, they admit to being willing to write for the actors . . . unless it is Bariston Selmey . . . then they suck, so they and pretty much everyone loved "Little Bear" they decided to give her a nice ending.

Though man is Jon, Danny, Tyrion, the rest of them STUPID. You put everyone in a crypt. What is in a crypt? Is it . . . potatoes? Is it . . . sparks's Mom?

Is it . . .

. . .

. . . maybe . . .

. . . FUCKING DEAD PEOPLE?!! [!--Ed.]

One other flaw was leaving Bran so undefended. It would not take NK much to see that and figure, "hey, like, let's get this fuckin' guy I've been after for millennia" then go after the rest, but I guess they wanted to give Theon a "moment."

Nitpicks aside, I enjoyed it.

Of course I kept seeing the Sheriff from Fortitude! He would have kicked even more ass. Nice touch with the Hound: "I fought for you." Nice touch with Sansa and Tyrion. Bran's last words to Theon.

Music was fantastic as well, as it always is, but was really effective.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu May 02, 2019 10:55 am

Nitpicking back, they WANTED him to go after Bran sooner than later. The whole plan was "how long can we hold off the army of the dead before the NK moves towards Bran?" True to Evil Overlord(tm) form, he went for him personally instead of just burying the Godswood in mooks.

Saw a fun one today though... someone pointed out that for a minute, Jon probably thought that he'd killed the dragon by screaming at it. Like Louis in Ghostbusters 2.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu May 02, 2019 7:42 pm

The sad thing is they could have explained most of the nitpicky stuff with a few well places lines. And other things were super dumb for no reason.

Take the crypts, as an example. Yeah they are in the crypts with a bunch of dead bodies, but those bodies are entombed. How are those bones going to go through very, very solid rock? If you say magic, then why didn't they go through the castle walls in the same manner? Of course know the answer: they wanted it to look cool more than they wanted it to make cohesive sense. Frankly, having people huddle in the the tombs and hearing creepy scratchy noises from the tombs while hundreds are dying outside would have been just as cool of a scene.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri May 03, 2019 12:40 am

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri May 03, 2019 2:00 am

Regarding the crypts, I was too embarrassed that I hadn't thought of the problem to complain that the characters hadn't.

As to whether a tomb is harder to escape than to bash through a castle wall, it's an interesting question, though I suppose it depends on the details of the entombment. It is fair to suppose that the most prominent northern family whose house words are basically "watch out for the zombies!" might build them pretty damn sturdy. or burn them like the Tullys do
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri May 03, 2019 3:15 am

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri May 03, 2019 5:39 am

Good friend of mine is getting married in a couple of weeks

I wonder what the odds are that I can get the DJ at the reception to play “Rains of Castamere” while I close the doors.
Spoiler:
Quote Redacted by Section 31

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri May 03, 2019 5:46 am

If you had real balls you would try to get everyone to reenact the "bedding" first.

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri May 03, 2019 8:08 am

If you had super-real balls you would decapitate him and saw on the head of his house sigil. It would be cool if it's a wolf or lion, or something. Kind of lame if it's a flower or onion.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri May 03, 2019 8:01 pm

I like the way you think
Spoiler:
Quote Redacted by Section 31

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat May 04, 2019 9:12 am

Epic Rant.

--J. "Tolkien would Fucking Rape Him!" D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon May 06, 2019 2:39 am

Keeps getting dumber.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon May 06, 2019 3:07 am

Yeah, that one was pretty dumb.
Spoiler:
Those giant crossbows again. Also the final scene.

I mean, didn't it occur to them to be on the lookout for the iron fleet? Seems like a pretty obvious thing to watch out for. I was a bit surprised too that both brothers Lannister made it through the episode alive.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 06, 2019 5:47 am

It was total Fan Service, but I still enjoyed it. However, regarding
Well, at least they figured out how to make the fuckers fire more than once every five minutes and invested in multiple weapons.

There are a few interesting things:
  • 1. Danny bitches about ending tyranny . . . by being a tyrant. The reason the likes of Varys . . . Vaeris . . . Værys . . . Bald Guy and Tyrion and Sansa all doubt her is because she is acting like "I get it because I deserve it." Not to beat up on Danny, because she has hated "following men" all her life.

2. John is probably one of the dumber leaders to ever lead since Holden decided to broadcast that Mars blew up his ship. Actually, I think the similarities are intentional given the authors of that series are great admirers of Not Tolkien Crybaby Jets Fan and he of them. The "Young Plucky Eager Pure Warrior Dude" often sucks at getting things done. One of the lessons of the Yes, Minister/Prime Minister series: the mouse needed to learn to be a rat.

3. Have You Ever Seen Midway? Good example of depending on the "Wow" of a weapon: "wes gots dragons" until someone figures out how to take them out. The criticisms of Anax's Mo [Get on with it.--Ed.] are rather critical. Can these people not read a map? What is the easiest way to fuck up a naval invasion? Oh yeah, sink their fucking ships after killing one of their dragons. Bad planning. Bad reconsosancethingy.
I did like a few things, but it is all Fanservice. Having Bron tell both Jamie and Tyrion to sit the fuck down and shut fuck up is awesome because Winterfell has no security whatsoever. . . . Arya and Hound. He go to kill the Mountain; she go to kill Cersi. Tromund "Our Guy from The Thing Prequel" survives it seems.

This reminds me of the second season of Rome. Everyone thought they had two more seasons at least. Then they are told otherwise. So now a good 20 years of history has to be compressed. They are doing that.

I agree with the complains about "The Long Night" in that here was the Force of Doom that Opens the First Book and Series and they are COMING and like nothing can stop them and . . . oh . . . hey, okay, that is fine. No one important died.

It may make the HUGE mistake where The Interesting Character turns out to be the villain. Reading the books and seeing the first few season, I was with everyone with Anax's[だめ!--Ed.] who wanted Joffrey roger'd to death with Cersi's dildo after she was suffocated with it.

Now?

I am actually rooting for her.

Granted, I have her "Make Westeros Great Again" hat.

Too soon?
--J.D.

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon May 06, 2019 11:00 am

The best thing the show is still doing is deconstructing hero tropes. "The Chosen One", "The Noble Warrior", "The Reluctant Hero", and so on--all are showing the potential problems with the idea.
--Soldier, TF2

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Mon May 06, 2019 2:40 pm

:D
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Mon May 06, 2019 3:13 pm

I wonder how long Bronn had to sneak around Winterfell before the two Lanister brothers were alone together in a room he could sneak in and out of?
Once again Bran did fuck all.
Dani didn't think of circling around the back of the ships and igniting them before they could turn. Check.
Having sunk the ships, Euron just sails away without any attempt to finish off the enemy. Check.
Cersi obviously doesnt take the chance to shoot Dani, or Dani's Hand, or Dani's remaining dragon when they're all lined up in front of her giant crossbows that are powerful enough and accurate enough to shoot down a flying dragon a thousand feet up. Check.
More plot armour and teleportation evident in the latest episode.

The writing seems to be very bad so far for this last series. Perhaps they should have just quit after series seven and left things to our imagination.

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon May 06, 2019 3:28 pm

Makes you realize how incompetent German flak was in ww2. Those 88’s weren’t even as good as giant crossbows!

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon May 06, 2019 3:32 pm

I wonder if there's a trope where surprise shots fired from an offscreen weapon are more accurate than once the shooter is seen.
--Soldier, TF2