Winter is coming

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Anaxagoras

Re: Winter is coming

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon May 13, 2019 2:29 pm

"I know. What if the Good Guy (Girl) was actually the Bad Guy all along!!!!"
So Dany went from Hero to Hitler in an instant. What the actual fuck?

She won, but had to destroy the city anyway?

The annoying part is that there's no logic to it either, except as a giant Fuck You to the fans.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon May 13, 2019 2:45 pm

The reason is that ayra is more popular now, so she needs to get another big kill

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 13, 2019 5:06 pm

Danny always had that tendency. She has had the question and even self-confessed fear that she is just like her brother and father and every other family member who went mad.

The problem is they went from slow deterioration with growing paranoia to MUWAHA!HA!HA!HA!HA! KILL THEM ALL THE MANY-FACED GOD WILL KNOW HIS OWN! in about one scene.

The major point of Martin's work over the years has always been:
  • 1. I like food!
    2. This is the Jets year!
    3. Incest is not "wincest!"
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon May 13, 2019 5:29 pm

I think they are setting this up in the books.
Spoiler:
In the books, the Westeros characters constantly reminding us (the reader) about her father's madness and her having to deny her madness. Further, almost at every turn, we are shown she is incapable of ruling, listening to her advisers, and willingness to lean on the dragons to solve problems.

If we accept that certain characters had the ability to "greensee" (see the future) and Prince Rhaegar Targaryen was one of them, then he must have seen Daeny saving the world and going mad, thus needing Jon. Or some combination of that. Which is why I am of the opinion that he will end Daeny, not Arya.

That's one of the "points" of the book, right from the beginning with Robert's Rebellion: Just because you are right and you win doesn't mean you are fit to rule.
The show failed to tell that story, but that's on the show not the story, IMO.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon May 13, 2019 8:21 pm

Hey. In Dany’s Defense it IS winter and getting kind of cold even in King’s Landing. And you know what they say, build a man a fire and he’s warm for a day, set a man on fire and he’s warm for the rest of his life.

Dany was helping.
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 13, 2019 9:11 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:29 pm
I think they are setting this up in the books.
I agree. Now they have made choices that are not, necessarily, in the books like the whole Long Night fiasco. Maybe Martin will play it that way, but Dumb 'n Dumber admitted they came up with it, because it would be too much things for Jon to do. Though does he ever do anything effective in battle.

I digress.

I mean, if they at least cast Thora Birch as [Get on with it!--Ed.]
The show failed to tell that story, but that's on the show not the story, IMO.
I think per your last sentence in t3h sp01l4g3 which is not much of a spoiler, the whole idea of "Divine Right" and "It MAI TURN" to "legitimate heir" and all of that crap is . . . well . . . crap! Like England, which Westeros is based on obviously except . . . there is no Dorne in England
Dave the Head: We have lovely beaches too, Avi. . . .

Avi: Yeah? And who the fuck wants to visit them?!
like England but with Lovely Beaches, the place kept getting conquered with a New Super King! Everyone gets to rule by killing everyone else and forcing what is left to submit. So Danny has no more "right" to rule than anyone. The rest is . . .
Damn!

Anyways, SO FUCKING OBVIOUS they are generating a conflict of conscious between Jon and Tyrion against Dany. Ned Starke would not follow such a queen. Jon likes to think he is a "good guy," and he legitimately is for the most part. Why I think The Expanse Dudes who are friends with Martin based Holden on him in that Holden is a highly moral guy whose morality results in continuous fuck ups that hurt people. They are just extending Jon's innocence to its logical conclusions, and, unlike Jon so far in the books, Holden starts to grow up and become a bit nasty at points.

Dany has crossed a lot of lines Jon could not, as portrayed, abide.

More in the series, Tyrion wants to be a "good guy." Obviously in the books he, when last seen, with a girl in a troupe watching all fucking hell break lose in an area, a moping depressed drunk looking for a "wife" from the past [Get on with it!--Ed.] Tyrion may make it to "wants to be a good guy" but has only about two more books = forty years to go!

There was an "easy solution" as you probably know. Dany could have done to Why is He in this Series Again and the Iron Fleet, the Golden Pantsu, and then simply attacked the Red Keep.

Or just waited.

She would have then been seen as a benevolent "breaker of chains"--as she likes to think she is--rather than the worse slaughterer of the series.

Sansa, who grew a brain in the series, will probably not want to submit, but at the stage Dany is at, she will not tolerate any contradiction. So does she then go after Winterfell?

Blah . . . blah . . . no disrespect to the actors and actresses. Emilia does a good job of moving from "wanting be loved/good queen" to "petulant child having homicidal tantrum," Kit plays impotent "leader-wannabe" well, as does everyone else.

So what does Bron do?

Maybe Tyrion gets him to shoot Dany in the face?

Let me rephrase that. . . .

In the rain.
--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat May 18, 2019 11:10 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sun May 19, 2019 7:54 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sun May 19, 2019 11:11 pm

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 20, 2019 1:56 am

The NFL Network has been repeating the Patriots-Seahawks Superbowl!

:hyper:

--J.D.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon May 20, 2019 2:39 am

My prediction for the end of the show. Except it will be an old fat man, with a beard and a fisherman's cap.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 20, 2019 4:13 am

It was not really "bitter sweet" as the Fat Man suggests, assuming "the ending" is what Dumb 'n Dumber wrote.

The major criticism has been the speed. Two major issues: "the Short Night" and the attack on King's Landing should have been their own series. HBO offered more and longer series, but Dumb 'n Dumber refused. To be fair to them, when it takes them a year to two years to film this stuff, it can be a literal grind.

Fine, but they became stuck with little character and story and lots of green screen and CGI.

Still, enjoyed it. But no surprises other than "lets make up some silly stuff."

--J.D.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon May 20, 2019 5:31 am

I kinda want to see “The Further Adventures of Arya Stark” now

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 20, 2019 5:57 am

Well, yeah. A bit of "girl power" that. Anyway, though a joke I will still put it in t3h sp01l4g3:
Bran calmly proclaim, "you're all sentenced to death!"

The making of him king and not Jon Snow was profoundly weak. Required Grayworm et al. to not simply kill him . . . which they would . . . along with everyone else. Drogon burning down the Iron Throne but leaving him alive? So he understood the corruption of Danny in pursuit of this throne of iron requiring her death to prevent more carnage which he participated in sufficiently to melt the throne while leaving her killer alive since he understood that the corruption of. . . .

Looking for the Cartman "WEEEEAAAAK" I found this which somehow, strangely, applies:

but, in a way, it is what Jon Snow wanted. He always wanted to be part of the Night's Watch so making him "King" would not have worked for him.

Anyways, the problem is because Dumb 'n Dumber insisted on cramming it all into one short season, they could not build up the tension between "Danny 'n Jon." They had to shorten it, which made it appear contrived. No fault of the actors. They did the best they could.

Though Sansa wanting to keep the North independent when her brother, and the "legitimate heir" to Winterfell is king? Oh and along with not understanding the NFL, the Fat Man does not understand spinal cord injuries.

Things that would have been interesting and/or should have been explained:
  • 1. If Brienne was pregnant.
    2. Why is Pod celibate?
    3. Why did HRUNTHRAH Giantsbane join the Night's Watch? Nice touch but why?
    4. What is the point of having a porticile . . . a comes down door thingy with spikey things things when THE WALL WAS FUCKING DESTROYED?! DOES IT KEEP OUT THE STUPID WALKERS?
    5. Where is Jon going? To do . . . what?
    6. Why did Sam become a maester when he was now the clear head of the Tarlys? As a maester he is not suppose to have kids which he does with Tilly.
    7. Why did Chalize Theron not run left or right?
    8. Who the fuck did Arya hire?
    9. What the fuck is Grayworm going to do with ALL of the Unsullied going to the island of Dead Ex? Play Parcheesi? And once they left who prevents Jon from coming back?
--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon May 20, 2019 6:21 am

IMO the villain ended up winning the throne.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 20, 2019 6:59 am

In a way, yes.

Though he did not choose to be the villain.

He is the avatar of post hoc ergo propter hoc, but I guess that is his existence now. Since he knows the past he can only conclude that it is the way it should be to prevent himself from going insane.

Still . . .

. . . he should have listened to Your his mother.

--J.D.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Mon May 20, 2019 10:52 am

Still think The Hound should have become king somehow.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Mon May 20, 2019 11:18 am

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Mon May 20, 2019 12:55 pm

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon May 20, 2019 3:02 pm

So how many spinofffs are they planning?
Spoiler:
https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/game-thron ... ead-629262

Sequels? Prequels?

Seems pretty obvious that one is supposed to feature Arya, by the way that ended.

One centered on Sansa maybe, and another one centered on Jon?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare